Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

JackFetch

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. The plan is to cover it on Earth-2.net: The Show with James, much like we did with New Frontier.

Excellent, I'll look forward to it. Any plans to look at Green Lantern or Wonder Woman? WW in particular I would recommend, although you'd probably be more interested in Green Lantern just because of how it deals with Hal Jordan/Sinestro, and how that relates to the Secret Origin story you guys looked at in Waiting for the Trade.

As of right now there are no plans to cover the Wonder Woman and Green Lantern DVDs, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Just FYI, reviewing Public Enemies instead of Wonder Woman is a CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY.

:D

You know, I would have thought by now people that would be thrilled at the thought of us reviewing a not-so-good movie... :*

EDIT: And I say this having not watched it yet.

For people buying the two-disc set, know this: I've had a little trouble playing the second disc. My work computer didn't want to play it at all because of the DVD-burning software that's installed on it, and my home PC nearly had the same problem but then it opted to work. So if you're one to watch movies on your computer, you might be better off viewing disc two on your TV.

Also included on the disc are two episodes of Superman: The Animated Series. And those are "The Demon Reborn" and "Knight Time."

Frankly, the only reason I'm actually following her book is for the shameless fanservice. :P

I remember reading her explanation of why she has a giant hole in the bust of her costume. It was something like "It's not that I'm being lewd or anything; I just don't know who I am or where I'm from, so I have a hole where my symbol should be."

Yeeeeaaahh.....

I saw the film and thought it was pretty damn good. tHE nimation is great; with the voice acting blending well. Of course, with the DCAU voices returning to their characters we don't get to compare with a new voice. This isn't a bad thing; it actually helps you just concentrate on the film. I read the comic and while many characters were left out, they did a great job keeping up with the story and gave us some good action scenes. I wish the people behind these films would extend the running time. I mean why does an animation film need to be under 70 minutes? Adults are watching these too, its PG-13.

I'd have to give this adaptation 4 out of 5

I wish the people behind these films would extend the running time. I mean why does an animation film need to be under 70 minutes?

I agree 100%. It's annoying - "Green Lantern" was especially bad because 77 minutes is not nearly enough room for a truly satisfying story. The ending was rushed. It could have been so much better with another 20 minutes.

To me Green Lantern was just as good as any of the DCAU three parters, but it should actually be better than those. Superman Batman Public Enemies was better than the DCAU three parters only because it was based off of a story that was really good, and it was fun hearing those familiar and great voices. I am kind of glad that Superman Batman Public Enemies did not include some of those parts that were in the book but not the movie. It wouldn't make the film good and it would confuse the audience and most of those parts went nowhere in the book. In some ways I kind of think that DC Animation/WB were trying to make this be good for DCAU fans since the DCAU Justice League movie ideas were scrapped. If they had completely copied the book then only comic fans that read a lot of comics and had probably read the Public Enemies trade would understand this movie. If there was someone that had never read any comic book before and had never seen any super hero cartoon except JL and JLU, then that someone would still understand this movie completely. In a way this could fit into DCAU continuity.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I just finished watching the movie. I got it free through redbox for 1 night. I really enjoyed it. It seemed longer then GL: First Flight. This has actually been the first of all the DC Original Animated Movies that to me hasn't been short. By short I mean you put it in the DVD player start it watch it then it's over before you can blink. I like how this film brings back a majority of the DCAU Players. Whether they be the voice actors or crew. Now until this film I've never heard of Power Girl and I think she was a waste of time. They could have put any DC character in that role. Toyman as a good guy...hmmm? I guess everything is relative. While I understand that Amanda Waller is a big woman, she looked like the humanoid version of the blob in this. Plus the hairstyle wasn't doing the design any justice. I did like the quips and cheesy lines from majority of the characters. The story was pretty good as well. I might have to find some of these comic books now. I'll definitely be buying this soon.

I like how this film brings back a majority of the DCAU Players. Whether they be the voice actors or crew.

Agreed, but no Lois voice acting in this movie? It would be awesome to hear Dana Delaney as Lois again. It was pretty inexcusable to have Lois at the ending of the movie but no talking from her, and they could have had more of her parts that were in the book.

Now until this film I've never heard of Power Girl and I think she was a waste of time. They could have put any DC character in that role.

You didn't just say that.

Toyman as a good guy...hmmm? I guess everything is relative.

Toymans, just like all the Robins, or Flashes, or any other character in all of the DC Comics.

While I understand that Amanda Waller is a big woman, she looked like the humanoid version of the blob in this. Plus the hairstyle wasn't doing the design any justice.

Agreed, but they said they really wanted to copy Ed McGuinesses's art style for the animation, so I will let it go.

I just finished watching the movie. I got it free through redbox for 1 night. I really enjoyed it. It seemed longer then GL: First Flight. This has actually been the first of all the DC Original Animated Movies that to me hasn't been short. By short I mean you put it in the DVD player start it watch it then it's over before you can blink. I like how this film brings back a majority of the DCAU Players. Whether they be the voice actors or crew. Now until this film I've never heard of Power Girl and I think she was a waste of time. They could have put any DC character in that role. Toyman as a good guy...hmmm? I guess everything is relative. While I understand that Amanda Waller is a big woman, she looked like the humanoid version of the blob in this. Plus the hairstyle wasn't doing the design any justice. I did like the quips and cheesy lines from majority of the characters. The story was pretty good as well. I might have to find some of these comic books now. I'll definitely be buying this soon.

This version of Toyman is supposed to be the second one. The first Toyman was still a villain. As seen with Dr Light, its not unknown for heroes to take the names of villains who preceded them (although its still an odd thing to do).

Power Girl is basically the Earth-2 Supergirl who is in the regular DC universe. She appeared in the DCAU as Galatea, the clone of Supergirl, which was a radically different take but had the same outfit.

Guest DCAUFan1051

This version of Toyman is supposed to be the second one. The first Toyman was still a villain. As seen with Dr Light, its not unknown for heroes to take the names of villains who preceded them (although its still an odd thing to do).

Power Girl is basically the Earth-2 Supergirl who is in the regular DC universe. She appeared in the DCAU as Galatea, the clone of Supergirl, which was a radically different take but had the same outfit.

ahh ok thanks.... on power girl clarification. I still maintain the opinion that they could have used any character in that role. However I did really enjoy this movie. Is there any trades or graphic novels that collect all the Superman/Batman stuff? What do people think of changing World's Finest to Superman/Batman... as far as the title? I gotta say these films are really making me want to start getting into comics more.

ahh ok thanks.... on power girl clarification. I still maintain the opinion that they could have used any character in that role. However I did really enjoy this movie. Is there any trades or graphic novels that collect all the Superman/Batman stuff? What do people think of changing World's Finest to Superman/Batman... as far as the title? I gotta say these films are really making me want to start getting into comics more.

Oh yeah, she was useless in this film. I mean, the whole idea of the film is stupid anyway because there's no chance in hell that Hawkman, Starfire or Katana would be hunting down Batman and Superman anyway, I mean, I get it with Captain Atom and Major force but the rest of them don't have a big historical allegiance to government, they were just filling space.

Supderman/Batman is collected together into trade paperbacks. Its separate from the World's Finest comics though, because World's Finest featured varied team-ups from the DC universe, although Batman/Superman was the most regular and popular of the combinations. The alternative team-ups now mostly occur in the current Brave and The Bold title. Much of the pre-release hype for the Superman/Batman title featured the logo, which is the actual title on the comic instead of the words. I guess the visual combination and all it represented was more popular than just reviving the old World's Finest name. I believe the series started out quite popular so they were probably right at the time. Now of course everyone knows that its a throwaway elseworlds-centric deal, not much important has happened since Lex was removed from the presidency and Supergirl's introduction.

161602861_394c888cab.jpg

Guest DCAUFan1051

See I think it would have brought more emotion in for Supes if they'd used Supergirl in this instead of power girl. Oh well can't change it now. I still think this is one of the best ones that the DCOAM team has put out. At least from the ones I've seen. I've seen them all except Wonder Woman. Not that I don't want to just haven't had the $$.

Watched this last night. By no means is it a perfect film, but I liked it. I really love the Superman Batman dynamic. They're so cute together! (Okay, I know that sounds weird. Batman and Superman aren't "cute." But they totally are. My sister gets it. I don't know if any of you do. Probably not. Oh, well.)

But Power Girl NEEDS to put on some clothes. Seriously. "AHH I'm Power Girl. Why is little 13-year-old Toyman staring at my boobs? I feel uncomfortable!" Maybe it's because THERE'S A HUGE HOLE IN YOUR SHIRT! There is nothing aerodynamic about that hole. It should not be there.

Also, I was disappointed to see a distinct lack of chest hair on Hawkman. That was the most fun aspect of his comic-book counterpart. Still, I guess we can't have everything in life. At least I got to see an animated Batman say "hell;" that was exciting. (Does the semicolon go inside the quotes? Hmmm...that looks awkward...Is that even a well-placed semicolon? Wow, I must be really tired. Why the hell am I writing all this?)