Wolverine

Missy

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I will admit one thing:

The shot in the trailer with Deadpool splitting a bullet with his katana, and it killing two guys behind him is fucking awesome.

Sure that was cool. A lot of the stuff with the Weapon X team was cool. Unfortunatly they split them up almost immidiatly, and gave significant screen time to build the characters of everyone except Deadpool.

Okay, I will admit one thing:

The shot in the trailer with Deadpool splitting a bullet with his katana, and it killing two guys behind him is fucking awesome.

Wait til you see the whole scene. Your either going to love it, or think it's way over the top and unbelievable.

Deadpool does have the best line in the movie when

he says Creed's power is to have fingernails like a bag lady.

In fact, all of the Weapon X team stuff was awesome.

HAHAHA, oh man. I can't believe what they did with Deadpool. He was the most interesting character on screen for all of 15 minutes, then he disappears for most of the film, bought back

as a silent superpowered killer

. Great one guys!

I'm not that pissed of though. I knew it was going to be a by the numbers action movie with a convoluted plot. I can't be angry at them for doing exactly what I thought they would.

Everyone who has seen the finished movie has said it's exactly like the leaked version right down to the scene after the credits. I seriously doubt they can throw together different versions this quickly.

What was the leaked scene after the credits? Starvos mentioned

Wolverine in Japan

, but I sure as hell didn’t get anything as interesting as that.

So...they leaked their own movie (because let's face it, they leaked their own movie) and were totally shocked at the underwhelming response so they added a bunch of inconsequential shit to try and entice the movie-going public?

Is the internet cracking in half with how fucktarded Fox is or am I the only one here?

Hmm. Our group stayed after the credits, but the only “bonus” scene we got was early in the credits, and that was

Striker getting arrested for killing that General.

Do you mean the scene

where he is walking down the road with his bloody feet? That was in the leaked version also. Also, did they forget it took place on an island when she told him to keep walking?

Another possible mistake. The end takes place on an uninhabited island, which we see from the air. Where did the fire truck come from in the last scene? There are no bridges going to the island.

Hmm. Our group stayed after the credits, but the only “bonus” scene we got was early in the credits, and that was

Striker getting arrested for killing that General.

Do you mean the scene

where he is walking down the road with his bloody feet? That was in the leaked version also. Also, did they forget it took place on an island when she told him to keep walking?

Another possible mistake. The end takes place on an uninhabited island, which we see from the air. Where did the fire truck come from in the last scene? There are no bridges going to the island.

Three Mile Island is a real place, and there are two bridges going there.

The bad about the film-

Kayla's return. It robs the Wolverine/Sabertooth rivalry of any real momentum and basically stalls the entire final act. Revenge thrillers end with a measure of justice, not by robbing the actions of the protagonist of meaning. Yes you can do late twists where an ally turns but you can't bring the main reason for revenge back to life like that. Blade's mother doesn't count, she was turned and therefore had become an evil thing, indeed it was logical that she was there as a minor villain. Kayla coming back as a still kinda good person was a huge mistake.

I also think they did well by adding in more popular characters like Gambit, Deadpool and Zero. The original script featured Barbarus who had no real ties to the story, but linking Creeds victims together through their shared Weapon X history made a lot of sense. I just wish Blob had been more than a blubberly ball of comedy exposition. I did like the idea that he wasn't originally fat though, that it was a byproduct of his abilities that developed later.

They probably should have ditched the live mutant captives angle (have Sabertooth killing for gene samples and then have Deadpool's healing factor and his own subsequent degeneration for X-men be a byproduct of that), left Kayla (who Wolvie knew was a mutant) dead and set the conclusion at Alkali Lake, ending the film with his gaining the Adamantium and losing his memory, but have his subsequent escape be down to some unknown X-factor like Deadpool. Expand the Weapon X prologue, have it be a big chunk of the first 30 minutes, even if it is in flashback. You could even have the angle be that Wolverine only succeeded in tracking down and defeating Sabertooth thanks to Stryker (who secretly organized the scenario) and have the final implanting of the metal be the aftermath, with Sabertooth taken down and Wolverine being a broken brutal mess with his bone claws being destroyed in the previous fight. Wolverine could wake up in the tank with Stryker ordering a psychic to wipe his mind whilst the procedure is going on. Deadpool refuses to allow this to happen to a former team-mate and buddy and so kills the psychic mid-wipe, Wolverine wakes up mid-procedure and escapes into the wilderness, with Deadpool making sure he is allowed to. That way they can do another film post X-men III with Deadpool being a pivotal character in Wolverine's attempts to regain his past. You could even bring back Sabertooth by having him reverted to near original form by new Weapon X chief Malcolm Colcord (horrifically injured by Wolverine during his escape) and have it be Wolverine and a few X-men vs the New Weapon X with Deadpool being the crazy joker in the pack. Then after that you decide if Deadpool merits his own film, perhaps with a Weapon X clone aka Agent X being his main big foe, who he corrupts by making him exactly like him.

See, I should have written this film.

Update on the Deadpool ending:

It depicts Weapon XI's (Wade Wilson/Deadpool's) hand reaching out from the rubble of the nuclear complex to touch his severed head, whereupon the head comes to life and makes a brief hushing sound (at the audience, breaking the fourth wall?) before the scene fades to black.

I got the "Logan in Japan" ending, and a buddy of mine got the Deadpool one.

Overall, this film was a resounding "ehhhh..."

The Characters:

Gambit:

It's funny, but Gambit was the least annoying part of the film. He's played like a "young Gambit," and it works. His powers are totally reinvented (making objects move with extreme force rather than exploding). I didn't exactly like how he became an integral part of Wolverine's origin, though. That seemed a bit silly. His "rescue" move was one of the best parts of the film, though. Very fun.

My biggest gripe with Gambit, however, is the fact that he's in his mid-20s during the 70s/80s. That makes him about 50 at the time of the present-day X-men films. LAME.

Blob:

Probably the best portrayal of Blob that we'll ever see in live-action form, but that's not saying much. He really doesn't have any purpose being in the film; it makes no sense for him to be here. His character was essentially just big, fat filler. (see what I did there?)

John Wraith:

Not terribly well-acted, but not groaningly bad. Still had no real purpose in the plot other than to be filler.

Bolt:

Not there for long, but was actually entertaining. Dominic Monaghan is a pretty good actor; he makes even annoyingly pathetic characters seem interesting.

Agent Zero:

So... he was supposed to be Maverick, right? Um... well, he seemed to really only be a master marksman. If he had ANY powers (besides gunslinging), they didn't mention them.

Deadpool:

Actually really interesting. He doesn't have the wackiness of the comics character, but he's not insane yet, so that makes sense (kinda). His first fight scene is really ridiculous with all the sword-twirling, but it was really cool otherwise. His "Weapon XI" transformation might actually allow for him to become the comics Deadpool, as one of the alternate endings showed him being alive despite being earlier decapitated, and a line of dialogue had suggested that the "bonding process" of the extra powers wasn't finished yet (aside from Wolverine's healing factor), so it's likely that all he'll be left with in any future films is the facial scarring and the healing factor.

Emma (Frost?):

While she certainly looks like a young version of Emma, she's SilverWolf's sister, and doesn't appear to have telepathic ability. Also, her diamond power is totally different-looking, as she basically coats herself in a sheet of diamonds rather than turn into the clear crystal form from the comics. However, she does work alongside Scott Summers in the prison escape scene, which gives a cool possible background for them eventually getting together (if it is to be believed that Scott didn't die in X3, since he was never SHOWN to die).

Cyclops:

An interesting backstory for Scott meeting Professor X, though the fact that he had the ruby-quartz sunglasses was odd. In the comics, though, he was given the glasses by Mr. Sinister, who had been keeping tabs on the boy. That would seem to make sense here, though it wasn't explained. Also, we could clearly see his eyes from the sides, as the glasses didn't "wrap around," and there was no type of energy coming from his eyes. Maybe in the film continuity, Scott's eyes only trigger when they see anything other than red? That would be interesting. Still, however, this version of Scott is cool to see, as he's totally in-character for what would be a young Cyclops. It is depressing, however, to know that in X3 his character is going to be simply tossed aside in favor of the almighty Hugh Jackman.

Stryker:

Just fine. Great acting, actually, but nothing amazing.

Sabretooth:

A good villain, but there are too many problems with him. First of all, how did this character go from being a dark-haired intelligent murderer to a blond-haired lackey with absolutely no memory of the extremely important events of Wolverine? Also, the "brother vs brother" plot didn't really work all too well, as we were really only shown that Logan always hated Victor.

Wolverine:

Hugh Jackman really gave it his all, but the script just wasn't there. It really seemed like it was Wolverine/Hugh Jackman just trying to find something in the plot/film that actually worked. In all honesty, Jackman was the best part about the film; no one can blame him for the way it went. As far as the character's storyline, however, things went pretty bad. As it turns out, the Weapon X adamantium bonding process took about TWO MINUTES. What was endless weeks of surgery and brainwashing in the comics turned into 2 brief minutes of pain. Yeah, it's that bad.

Oh, but the "backwards-adamantium-elbow-Gambit-in-the-face" move was hilariously awesome.

The Story:

There really isn't much to say about it. It basically takes everything that was deep or interesting in the comics and makes it "meh." The opening credits sequence shows the "war history" of James and Victor, but unlike Watchmen's opening titles, this sequence comes across as an extremely cheesy action movie, complete with sudden stops to magnify the actors' names.

The story isn't "bad," but it does seem rather anticlimactic and boring, after having Wolverine's past only hinted at in the other X-men films. The comics did it so much better that I'm honestly a little upset. It's not as bad as the stupified version of The Phoenix we got in X3, but it's not great either.

I think the biggest problem is that the film wants you to feel all the heavy emotion in the story, but the direction, script, and editing just didn't allow for that. Jackman gave it his all, but in the end it really didn't pan out. I think that the studios and everyone else involved (except for maybe Jackman, Ryan Reynolds, and a few others) just thought of the film as "just another movie," and didn't give it the care it needed.

Watch it if you're a big comics fan (if only so you can use it as a conversation topic later), but otherwise wait for the DVD and rent it.