Episode 11

RSS

Dan and Mike cram a lot of Doctor Who talk into this episode. First they give their thoughts about the recent special, "Planet of the Dead." After that they discuss "The Chase," which features the return of The Daleks, as well as the departure of Ian and Barbara. And not only does Steven Taylor join the TARDIS crew in "The Time Meddler," it's also the first time we see another Time Lord, and it closes out the second season. [ 1:08:32 || 31.5 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggeronth.../bigger_011.mp3

Heh, I'd forgotten all about that youtube video I found! I really shouldn't stay on the internet past midnight...

Quick thoughts:

- I was as lukewarm on Christina as Dan was. I have a feeling it was down to the writing of the character and how a cat-burgalar

deserves to go free (IN A FUCKING FLYING BUS) having stolen and destroyed a priceless artefact* because she loves adventure and kissed the Doctor. I knew he'd intervene (because hey, it's Russell T Davis writing this) but I loved the Doctor initially refusing her request to become a companion and then watching her being arrested.

I think it's the same reason I feel it hard to warm towards the various incarnations of Catwoman.

- Peter Purves is a household name over here, though not through his links to Dr. Who. A few years after leaving the Tardis, he became a children's television presenter on the BBC's long-running magazine show 'Blue Peter', which is still on-air today. Purves would be part of the most famous presenting team (with Valerie Singleton and John Noakes) who lasted about 10 years or so before they each moved on. So the fact he's featured prominently on two of the Beeb's most famous and enduring programmes is quite a legacy.

- Peter Butterworth (The Meddling Monk) is someone I'm very familiar with through his frequent supporting roles in the Carry On films. Whilst I haven't seen the episode of The Time Meddler, that sound clip of his plan very much reminds me of the incredible warmth and likeability Butterworth brings to all his roles in that film franchise.

Good ep, gents!

* I will probably be more irked by this once I've broken into the museum industry.

- Peter Butterworth (The Meddling Monk) is someone I'm very familiar with through his frequent supporting roles in the Carry On films. Whilst I haven't seen the episode of The Time Meddler, that sound clip of his plan very much reminds me of the incredible warmth and likeability Butterworth brings to all his roles in that film franchise.

Yeah, I watched 'The Time Meddler' last year, and I hadn't realised it was him before I watched it. He's fantastic in the role, and huge fun.

I loathed Christina, incidentally. Great arse, shame about the actress. I also had problems with the character.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Mr Mockery, and welcome to the forums!

I'm surprised we never mentioned it, because I noticed that as well. It's funny how that ring was being built up as being so important, only to have it disappear and forgotten.

• 1 year later...

I'm watching the DVD of The Chase, and going through the extra features now.

You know, intellectually, I'm aware that William "Ian" Russell was in his early forties at the time these were made, and that 45+ years have passed since then.

I was not, however, prepared for the reality of Ian being so unbelievably ancient nowadays. He's pushing ninety.

I'm watching the DVD of The Chase, and going through the extra features now.

You know, intellectually, I'm aware that William "Ian" Russell was in his early forties at the time these were made, and that 45+ years have passed since then.

I was not, however, prepared for the reality of Ian being so unbelievably ancient nowadays. He's pushing ninety.

Yes, he's 86 now, although still as sharp as he ever was in interviews (and his audiobook readings of target novels is brilliant). I always find it strange when I realised that his son plays a schoolboy in the Harry Potter films (his son plays Dean Thomas...he's 22 now, so he was born when William Russell was 64!).