New live action TMNT movie announced!

So much product placement my eyes hurt!

But seriously this looks exactly like any other bland action movie trailer, Transformers, G.I. Joe, and that first shot of the building's tower breaking is right from the Amazing Spider-Man trailer. Beat for beat this follows the exact action trailer formula: buildup, destruction, reveal, with a gag at the end. The fact that this trailer gives people any sort of indication that this movie will be good is utterly baffling to me. Shlock through and through.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why people are expecting a great movie regardless. It's the fucking Ninja Turtles. A fun romp is as good as it will get.

Quit saying things that make sense. It's freaking me out.

But yeah, Ninja Turtles has been silly nonsense from day one. That's how it's supposed to be. If it's a silly cartoon made for kids then it's doing its job. If it also tells a decent story then it gets bonus points.

What's Michael Bay going to do? Make a bad TMNT movie? Oh, the horror. By my count, there's never been a good TMNT live-action movie.

No way. It has its cheesy charm, sure. But it's not a great movie. It's mostly enjoyable just as a way to see live-action versions of the characters than anything else.

Awesome main villain who is built up the whole movie and kicks the heroes' collective ass until they get saved? Check.

Likeable main characters who all have definitive characteristics? Check.

Realistic conflict between siblings? Check.

The closest thing we've ever seen to the comics in a TMNT movie? Check.

Casey Jones? Check.

Like Chris, I have no clue what you want out of a live-action TMNT movie if the original didn't do anything for you.

I'm gonna guess you and Chris were both kids (or teens at oldest) when you saw the 1990 TMNT movie? I didn't see it until I was maybe 22. So I wasn't as super-thrilled with all the fanservice as I imagine I would have been if I were ten. Sure, it's neat to see the turtles and Casey Jones brought to life near-perfectly, but that only goes so far. The story feels more like a quickly-edited collection of pre-determined plot points than anything else, and the turtles all have basically the same personality except for Raphael. (Which is, I suppose, one turtle better than the 80s series, where the primary difference was, "this one's headband is orange!")

It probably didn't help that I only saw the movie after I'd already seen/read most of the modern turtles stuff (the 2003 series, the TMNT animated movie, the IDW comics, the Nickelodeon series), where the turtles are given way more individual characterization and the story is actually pretty decent. Compared to that, the 1990 movie is basically, "Shredder gets kids to steal TVs for him by bribing them with an evil skate park arcade." Which is hilarious, but, I mean... hardly "good."

I saw the first TMNT at ten years old and thought it was great. It is by no means a great movie. It's good. It is totally dated and pretty heavy-handed, so i don't get the sacred cow element. It's fun, anyway. The new one looks fun too. I don't know. I'll probably reserve judgement until I actually watch it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...