The minor annoyances thread

Missy

Someone on Twitter just addressed CM Punk by his real name, and that ticks me off a little. Unless you are personal friends with them and / or are given direct permission to use their real names, don't. It's that simple. Doing otherwise assumes a familiarity with them, and that's disrespectful.

Trik Davis is a trainer at my gym, and he's told me it's okay to use his given name. Even still, that makes me uncomfortable. So when I great him, I simply say, "Hey, man."

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a weird line to cover, and since I know a few guys in town in that spot it has got awkward. Weirdest one for me was when I was interviewing Kenny Omega for a class project and it was a requirement I got his real name, I knew his name, but I needed it for the record. It was the last question of the interview, he was nice enough to provide it, and I replied with "thanks Kenny"

Roomie, I like you most days. However, you know that I have a job that requires me to be up at 6:30 in the morning. Choosing to bring your friend, who gets very rowdy when he's drunk, and to do dishes where both you and I know that there's a reason that I'm the one to put my stuff back (mainly, you have no clue where anything goes and you end up causing loud crashes), at 12:30 in the morning, and being surprised when I wake up and am super groggy due to all of this, should not be rocket science. This is why I'm not leaving you two alone to cook a turkey on Saturday. Not to mention that bad ideas tend to happen around you two while drunk, most notably that time you decided to drive his car deliberately into a snow bank.

And throwing the peppers you didn't like on the ground? Ew ew ew, I did not want to step in those this morning.

Also, please, get some stamps, because we keep getting late fees on our electric bill because you keep forgetting to run it out to the electric company, and you want to be mailing it out instead, but you aren't getting stamps to mail it out.

• 2 weeks later...

The epitome of frustration, when you are in a position to start paying down your debts, you tell your debtors that you will soon be transfering funds to their account, an unexpected purchase arruses and now you do not have the funds to pay them at this time.

Hey guy who keeps on talking about Big Bad Beetleborgs and getting the facts wrong, you're cute and I'm vaguely attracted to you for knowing the show but I also want to kick you in the balls for blaming Power Rangers for your poorly acted kids show getting canceled after two years. Also, please, don't refer to it as a spin-off of Power Rangers. Just... no. You're fired for existing.

• 2 weeks later...

People make me crazy. We sent back some paperwork because they didn't send in the whole thing. For legal purposes, we have to have the entire contract on file so we can ascertain they didn't change anything.

Her: I got a fax saying I need to send the whole contract.

Me: Yes, we need all of it.

Her: So you need the whole thing?

Me: Yes.

Her: I have it here. So you need all of it?

Me: Yes. We need all of it.

Her: Because I already sent part of it.

Me: We need all of it.

Her: Do you need page 1? I have page 1 right here.

Her: What about page 2? Do you need that?

Her: Okay. Oh, and page 3? Do you need page 3?

The package has 18 pages, and I think you can probably imagine how the rest of that conversation went.

One of my best friends from all the way back in middle school ended up breaking up with his girlfriend after she cheated on him with some other guy. It's nine months later today and she's having a baby, which was assumed to be the other guy's until today when the DNA test came back. Turns out it's my friend's baby. Now they're back together and acting like this is the greatest thing in the universe. Probably gonna be married soon-ish. I'm happy for my friend that he's a dad, but the mother is a skank/bitch/self-centered/stupid/bitch/manipulative/bitch. I want to be happy for them, it's just a little hard right now.

A co-worker of mine is moving away with today being her last day. Management wanted to make it a big deal since she had worked there for over 15 years. Cake & flowers and such. We have always gotten along well enough and never really had much in the way of problems.

It amazes me how people act in situations like these. People she has not gotten along with are all of the sudden best of friends. I just don't get this need to fake, um, friendship is the only phrase that springs to mind. I was the only person to treat her the same today as I would any other day. And I really dislike being looked down upon for not 'going along with it'.

Bad day thus far. I overslept, so I was 15 minutes late for work. Then, a client rang me up and I demonstrated my lack of legal knowledge to his specific questions. I managed to fob him off to my superviser, but it reinforced the fact I'm a bit out of my depth at the moment, which in turn affects my overall confidence. Then, because the office juniors are heavily over-worked, I ran out of things to do this afternoon, which is a technical no-no in the law world. And I undercooked my quiche, and my rent's due!

I realise that reads like a very tepid day, but I can't wait for it to end.

Me: Hello, <my company>?

Her: Is this <similarly named company>?

Me: No, this is <my company>.

Her: No, I called <similarly named company>.

Me. No, ma'am, this is <my company>. <similarly named company> is another company.

Her: I need your help with my policy.

Me: What's the policy number?

Her: *rattles off similarly named company's policy number*

Me: No, ma'am, I'm sorry. That's a <similarly named company> policy number. This is <my company>. We're two different companies.

Her: No! I called <similarly named company>!

Me: Ma'am, that's another company. We don't hold your policy. I can't help you.

Her: No! YOU NEED TO HELP ME! I CALLED YOU AND YOU'RE GOING TO HELP ME!

Me: *click*

Because of the similarity in names, literally a week doesn't go by that I don't get a call looking for the other company. Which is not a problem. The caller, however, was clearly an insane person. It's like walking into McDonald's and making a scene and refusing to leave until someone gives you a Whopper.

Voicemail: Mr. Wilkens, this is your bank, it's important that you contact us as soon as possible.

Me: Hi, I got a message from you guys. Is there something wrong with my account?

Guy on phone: Nope! Everything's fine!

Two days later

Voicemail: Mr. Wilkens, this is your bank, it's important that you contact us as soon as possible. Seriously.

Me: Yeah, it's me again, why am I getting this message?

Guy on phone: No idea. Everything looks fine.

A week later

Voicemail: Mr. Wilkens, the streets will run red with the blood of the innocent if you do not call us now. We're not fucking around this time, there are satelites fixed on your location.

Me: What the fuck is going on?

Guy on phone: It's probably just a system error. Don't worry about it.

<_<

So, tonight has been an Adventure.

It began with attempting to download something into iTunes, which caused iTunes to inexplicably crash and refuse to reopen even after a reboot, so I just downgraded to iTunes 9.2 and am in the process of reinstalling my library (slowly but surely, and it appears to have worked!). Then, I ended up overcooking the pomegranate molasses I was attempting to make into a pomegranate briquette, but no worries, that just meant I had to make the red wine/pomegranate sauce and accordingly the steak tonight, and I seem to have salvaged it and also not destroyed any cookware in the process. So then I attempt to cut up the pizza I had made long before all this happened, and my pizza cutter fell apart as I attempted to use it on the crust. Literally, fell apart in my hands, which means I'm going to have to get a new one.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am officially declaring SHENANIGANS on tonight.

So, I woke up this morning, and the cat appears to have left me a tribute of a small, dead mouse next to the head of my bed. Now, I love my old girl, and the fact that she still has it in her to kill a mouse to protect her people, but still, EWWWWWWWW.

The mouse has been thrown off the porch into the snow, and the cat has been praised, but should we be setting traps? It was a very small mouse, not baby small. And if so, is this something we should be talking to our landlord about?

In related news, fuck this shit, come hell or high water, I'm moving out of here in the fall.