The minor annoyances thread

Missy

Here's a suitably mundane grumble!

Straight out of work, I catch the first of two trains to take me to Manchester for my training session at head office. I disembark to find my connecting train has been cancelled, so I have an hour in York to grab some dinner. With the time pressure taking priority over quality eaterie, I ducked into a Yates's. Quite the mistake. I proceeded to consume one of the worst lasagnes I've ever had. Back to the station, my replacement train has no announcer (although the train manager was stringently on hand to check tickets), and I may have to face the 90 minute journey without a beer.

Life is hard in the first world.

Post of the Day! :bowdown:

Oddly enough, I read the entire thing in your voice, Ian. Especially that last line.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, he's the Patron saint of awkwardness.

I'm back to scotland again tomorrow. And next week. Absolutly fucking sick of it. My boss asked me if I want to stay on yesterday and i basically told him I hate working here and in a year I'd be happier working in Starbucks than still being here.

The city parking ban is still in effect, meaning I essentially can't move my car or I won't be able to park when I get home (there are three cars to every legal available space in Boston until the ban is lifted), so I've had to take the T to work. Normally, not a huge deal.

However, the snow is melting rapidly, which means the sidewalks are sheets of ice. The four block walk to the T station, which is normally so benign as to barely merit thinking about, is a hilly, death-riddled skating rink. I fell three times this morning; twice I managed to kinda throw myself into a snowbank, so no harm done, but the last time I came down on my knee, HARD.

I'm back to scotland again tomorrow. And next week. Absolutly fucking sick of it. My boss asked me if I want to stay on yesterday and i basically told him I hate working here and in a year I'd be happier working in Starbucks than still being here.

Well, if you're swinging by Newcastle en route, I can lend you my shoulder to weep on!

To people in relationships: you don't get to complain about how much you hate Valentine's Day. You just don't. Hating Valentine's Day is something lonely people do. So shut the bloody fuck up.

Also this. I've been in a relationship precisely once during Valentine's Day, and even that year, we just went to a pub together rather than doing anything fancy.

Well, if you're swinging by Newcastle en route, I can lend you my shoulder to weep on!

Alas, I'm headed back down the other side of the country. If I had time I'd say next week but I'm trying to get back to Bristol so Chris and I can go to Dragon Gate on Friday. No fear, I'll give you a shout next time I'm staying up that way.

• 2 weeks later...

So, about twenty minutes ago, I was sitting in my English class. We were about to examine a couple of Shakespearean sonnets when my teacher asked us what the definition of a sonnet was. A few of us started to provide definitions based on what we'd read ("well, it's a fourteen-line alternating...") when our teacher interrupted and basically told us that there was no reason for us to try to "figure out" or "guess" the definition of a sonnet when we could have looked up the literal definition in a dictionary or literary textbook. Now, we'd already read several in-depth academic analyses of sonnets and annotated the two sonnets we'd been assigned, noting length, rhyming scheme, and meter. But since no one in the class (a class of about 25-30) had actually looked up the literal definition and written it down prior to coming to class, my teacher said, "If you're not willing to work, drop the class. You can take your stuff and go." He hadn't even told us that finding a textbook definition was something we needed to do as part of our research; we haven't had to do that before whenever we examined sestinas and villanelles.

And this is from a teacher who's consistently late to his own class and forgets to bring important handouts and graded papers to us. It's getting increasingly hard to respect him.

Wish my boss would bugger off out of the office. He's been threatening to all morning but he's still sat there. I just want to sit at my desk and watch Young Justice for 20 minutes but no, I don't get a sodding break because he's still here. By the time he goes everyone else will be back and I'm not going to be able to relax at all today.

Definitely a first world problem.

Hey, parents who take public transport. When the bus driver is asking you to please break down your stroller so other people can make room (especially when your purse is taking up a seat by itself, and your stroller is taking up three spaces), you do have to break it down. Trust me, it's in the bus rules. I've seen drivers call police on people for not complying. And yes, your stroller can be broken down. I know that model, I've seen it done. And trust me, everyone on that bus will hate you that much less, especially when we're all crammed together and some of us are carrying several bags of groceries while your purse and stroller are taking up real estate.

In other minor annoyances, the tickets for the WI Film Festival's showing of Much Ado About Nothing sold out in less than 20 minutes.