The minor annoyances thread

Missy

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first few episodes took some getting used to. Once you realized it was something of an animated sitcom, it got good. One of the best episodes is actually a flashback to Granny's career as a WW2 Spy. One of the only major problems is that in the first season, Bugs is way too perfect. They fixed it a lot in the second season thus far.

• 2 weeks later...

Very general grumble here but speaking as someone who has set his own clock work-wise for most of the last decade this 9-5 office thing is bullshit. Do people seriously spend half their lives doing this? I'm fairly certain I'm unknowingly breaking half a dozen codes every minutes like King Ralph shaking up the monarchy.

Seriously. Third day and I'm getting cabin fever. God help me if I get a full time job.

Except for a stint where I was self-employed for a few years, I've always had a regular schedule that was at least close to 9-5. I've never minded it.

I like the structure of 9-5. When I worked shifts, I could never plan ahead. I've had flexi-time in the past and could work it to my advantage, but my life isn't any the worse for not having it now.

Yes, whilst I do generally admire teachers, I have very little tolerance for their complaints of hours worked given the 6 weeks holiday over the summer, 2-3 weeks over Christmas, similar for Easter and the 4x half term weeks.

I work in the private sector and get 4 weeks off a year + any public holidays. And without ever asking my brother what he earns, I guarantee that I earn less by a fair margin.

I do get that most people don't have a choice, hell if I want to get paid in a real job I might not either. And it's not like it's not technically better than my old job where I'd be getting in at 6 so I could drive two hours and get to another city to work, but at least that felt self-motivated and had a lot of variety. But since I never want to go back to that and endure the physical abuse the job entailed I'm stuck with 9-5, and worse 9-5 office work.

Offices are tepid, drastically dull and worst of all for me, you're treated like a child. Time sheets are the worst, I'm WAY beyond the point where I want to work on something until a horn blows and I exit the building Flintstones-style. I work until what I'm doing is done, and I want a job where people trust me enough to not need to take a register.

Again, I'm aware that my stance on officially engaging in your human society is reluctant bordering on childish.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm being seconded to Brighton next week. Now, I love travelling the country and normally this would excite me, but:

- The two paralegals who have done the same placement describe it as boring.

- They also say that the Liverpool office colleague who's down there longer talks incessantly about hating life.

- All of Brighton is booked up with a political conference so I'm staying in the next town along the coast (the opposite side of Brighton from where I'll be working) and will have to commute from there.

- Whilst I can claim expenses, I'm on holiday in Scotland next week, so I'm going to be pretty skint by the time I get back to the office to put in my claim.

- I wanted to use next week to formalise where I'm staying in Scotland. I don't have a laptop and my phone isn't the best for using the internet.

- My train to Scotland leaves Newcastle at 7:42am next Saturday. On Friday, I will be spending approximately 5 hours on trains to get from Brighton to Newcastle. I'm likely to get home around 9-10pm, and I *had* promised I'd see someone visiting Newcastle for one drink on Friday night (before I knew of this secondment).

- My 5k training schedule will be affected.

All I'm saying is that I'd have loved it to be ANY other week. More than happy to fulfil the given opportunity to go on secondment, however boring it may be - just not this next week.

On the upside, I will be seeing young Probert for only the second time ever and he's kindly offered to pick me up from work on one of the days. And there'll be many more hidden positives, I'm sure!

So my mum calls me to chat after her holiday, and starts talking about the jobs. Basically I'm pragmatically pointing out that travelling over two hours a day for a job that has pretty crap pay probably isn't top of my list to apply for. She also asked if I'm going to apply to IMDB again which I turn down because it was an aptitude problem, so another 5 interviews isn't likely to yield a better result for me or them. She then blames my pessimism on my illness and says she'll talk to me when I'm feeling better, as though I'll be bubbling over with optimism and joy by then.

I'm ill. I'm also miserable about my lack of employment. These two factors are not linked. Hope she's not expecting me to get better and suddenly find a job.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure this has happened slowly over time, but I have started to really notice this in the past 2-3 months. My sister has lost her damn mind and it is annoying me greatly. She isn't doing anything bad or illegal. It is more of the pretentiousness and oblivious thoughts that are getting to me. Also, the not-so-subtle digs at our childhood are just uncalled for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My back hurt all day yesterday while I was at work but by the end of the day, it felt better to the point by where I went to bed, the pain was completely gone. I wake up this morning in immense pain to the point where I kinda had to struggle to go downstairs to get breakfast. Taking some extra strength Tylenol, hoping I feel better by later today.

Apparently because me and the wife haven't bent over backwards to thank everyone for coming to our wedding (as much as some aunties would have liked us to anyway) we've landed other people in hot water.

a) Got a problem: blame that person b) Talk to that person if it's a massive issue c) Get over yourselves