Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Missy

The following item is straight from my rep at Rockstar:

Things you need to do in San Andreas

* Triathlon *

Visit the Los Santos Gym, then find the sign promoting the Triathlon for dates and times. The race that starts from the beach in Santa Maria, takes CJ on a trip throughout Southern San Andreas. First up is the swim from the beach through the Los Santos Inlet. After crossing the water in a heated race with other swimmers, CJ exits on the shores of Back O’ Beyond where a number of mountain bikes await the racers. Hopping on begins the longest section of the race, a backcountry and mountain road trek through the hills of Southwest San Andreas. After winding through the terrain and speeding through the relative straightaway in the tunnel below Mount Chiliad, the racers exit at the base of Missionary Hill. The final leg of the race is the job, and racers must run up the hill to the base of the radio tower atop. First one there is declared the winner.

The race doesn’t open until CJ has the requisite amount of running, swimming and cycling stamina and skill. Only the best are allowed to compete in the San Andreas Ironman!

* Mountain biking *

To activate the Chiliad Challenge you must be at the top of Mt. Chiliad out in the country. Also note Mr. Chiliad is the highest point in San Andreas at over 2500 ft. Be there between 7:00 and 18:00 to take the challenge and have a high enough biking skill. Chiliad Challenge consists of 3 events, all of which involve downhill mountain biking through check points.

* Commercial Flights *

To fly a commercial plane or helicopter, CJ must receive his pilot’s license. However it’s not until later in the game that he can do that, until then, if he has the green, he can travel around the state using Juank Air’s convenient commercial flight services. Outside the terminals at each major airport is a kiosk for ticket purchases.

For a small fee, he can purchase a trip to any major airport. Takeoff is immediate, and the game switches to a relaxing cinematic view of the friendly San Andreas skies.

During the trip, if CJ decides he’s unhappy with the chosen route, or doesn’t want to wait to schedule another flight, he can always bail mid-flight with one of Juank Air’s many convenient plaid parachutes. All three major airports feature terminals, LSX, San Fierro, Las Venturas. The airports, however, are only available as destinations to CJ if he has accessed the particular area by progressing the story to that point.

* Freight train *

Once you have visited all 3 cities in San Andreas you will be able to jack a train when it stops at any train station. In Los Santos you can find trains that stop at Unity Station or Market Station; in San Fierro trains stop at Cranberry Station; in Los Venturas there are 3 train stations: Sobell Train Yards, Linden Station and Yellow Bell Station. Hijack a train when it stops at any of the stations. Simply run up to the engine, yank the engineer out and accelerate. Once you are in control of the train, press R3 to begin the Freight Train challenge.

There are only two controls: go and stop. X controls acceleration just as in any vehicle. Keep in mind that the train takes a very long time to reach top speed. Use Square to brake and reverse; it also takes a long time to stop a train.

When the mission is started a yellow blip appears at the next closest station. This marks the cargo delivery location. You must stop the engine in the red marker to complete the first stage. The time limit, distance to the next train station, and your speed is displayed on the right side of the screen. Failure to reach the checkpoints within the time limits, or derailing the train by speeding off corners results in mission failure.

Study the tracks that lie ahead using the in-game map (train tracks appear as red lines on the map and radar). Keep an eye out for sharp turns. The controller shakes at speeds of around 50 mph, this is a high speed warning. You should slow the train down to about 45 or less when going around sharp turns (depending on how sharp they are).

* 2 Player Games *

So you want to play San Andreas with your friends? Well, 2-player action is now available in San Andreas! Included both as part of the classic rampages feature and as separate mini-games. A quickly accessible 2-player run around can be found in the Idlewood section of Los Santos. Just look in the courtyard area of the apartments close to the highway.

Once the mini-game is triggered players can travel via vehicle or on-foot. On foot allows the 2 players to run and move independently, with separate and independent health, armor and weapons. The screen remains unified; there is no split-screen. As such, players can only move a couple hundred yards from each other.

Getting in a vehicle will have one player driving and one shooting. To compensate for the hyper-fast pace of the 2 player vehicle missions, a quick-moving auto-locking reticule is enabled.

The combination means that the 2 players can unleash incredible amounts of chaos in little time. They’re free to leave the vehicles at any time and enter another one if the current one has sustained too much damage and is starting to smoke or burn.

2 player run-around’s continue until one or both players are either dead or busted.

Never before has a Grand Theft Auto game included 2 player action, and the inclusion of it in San Andreas is an enormous step for the series.

Oh I agree. His interview with Lazlow is magic.

Is anyone else finding the targeting system a little wanged? It locks onto the wrong people ALL the time, and at the place I'm at, it's the last thing I need to go wrong.

I agree. It always tends to turn me AWAY from who I am trying to shoot.

Oh I agree.  His interview with Lazlow is magic.

Is anyone else finding the targeting system a little wanged?  It locks onto the wrong people ALL the time, and at the place I'm at, it's the last thing I need to go wrong.

I agree. It always tends to turn me AWAY from who I am trying to shoot.

Yeah. I'm consistently locking onto civilians when I mean to shoot other gang members or cops.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, not sure if this is new or not, but I was at a friends place on the weekend, he has had this game for maybe 2 weeks. He puts it on so we can try out the 2 player bit, in the top of the screen he had like $17 million in his wallet.

I asked him if he had been playing the game a stupid amount or if he downloaded some cheat for it. He tells me he jsut kept going to the race track and betting on the longshots, and if it didn't come off, he reset and tried again.

Have any of you done this? Would you do this?