Episode 12

RSS

As a planet is set to die, the Doctor discovers that he shouldn't judge races by beauty ("Galaxy 4"). The crew then takes a week off as hapless humans are exterminated by the Daleks ("Mission to the Unknown"). And lastly, the Doctor influences the outcome of the Trojan War ("The Myth Makers"). [ 56:25 || 25.9 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggeronth.../bigger_012.mp3

One question if I may: did Katarina do anything in The Myth Makers? I can understand why Vicki got most of the focus for this story in particular, but there's one mention of Katarina joining the TARDIS crew and then that's about it.

Katarina esentially showed up five minutes before the episode ended and was just kind of *there* to help drag Steven into the TARDIS. She was one of Cassandra's handmaidens, and got virtually no introduction. We barely mentioned her because she was barely there.

This was a truly fun episode to listen to; I've been in the audience for all the previous shows, and once again, you've really whetted my appetite for these early stories that I've not had the chance to see yet. For instance, I'd completely forgotten that Vicki leaves in "Myth Makers", and I was sorry to hear that she left the series so soon! Granted, the only Vicki story I've really seen all the way through is "The Time Meddler", but even there she seemed to show genuine promise as a companion. Not to mention the great `big brother-little sister` dynamic that she shared with Steven! Ah well, at least she had a good run while she lasted...I'm looking forward to the forthcoming Big Finish audio series that showcases each of the companions, as Vicki's character arc definitely deserves further exploration.

On another note, I also just remembered after listening to the show and looking up the episode in question that the protagonist in "Mission to the Unknown", Agent Bret Vyon, was played by Nicholas Courtney, who would latter go on to a much more substantial Doctor Who role as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart. I don't recall if it was mentioned in the show (or whether it was worth mentioning) but I myself had quite forgotten this delightful bit of trivia, and hope someone finds it as intriguing as I did.

On another note, I also just remembered after listening to the show and looking up the episode in question that the protagonist in "Mission to the Unknown", Agent Bret Vyon, was played by Nicholas Courtney, who would latter go on to a much more substantial Doctor Who role as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart. I don't recall if it was mentioned in the show (or whether it was worth mentioning) but I myself had quite forgotten this delightful bit of trivia, and hope someone finds it as intriguing as I did.

Dan, how did you miss that?

I'm loving this series. As a long time Doctor Who fan it's always fun to hear people's reactions to the early years, particularly seeing them in order.

To expand upon the answers to 2 questions that Mike asked about the TARDIS. We have seen TARDIS's in their natural state, without the chameleon circuit activated. In one story (I won't name it because it would ruin the surprise when you get that story, but i think anyone who has seen it will know which one i mean), where we see a number of TARDIS's in use, mainly by one particular character but also towards the end we see more on Gallifrey. They appear to be plain black cubes, with a door that slides out.

Also in reference to the question about whether the TARDIS takes on the properties of objects it disguises itself as, the evidence in the series seems to suggest that it does. In a Sixth Doctor story, the chameleon circuit starts working and at one point it disguises the TARDIS as a fully functioning organ, and the Doctor plays a short tune on it. But more notably, in a Third Doctor story, the Master's TARDIS (admitedly a more advanced design) is disguised as a spaceship, and works like a functioning spaceship, flying onto the planet and landing.

It's actually not nearly as common as that - thank God - but I have to wonder, dramatically speaking, if they really thought through the companions' departures through, when two out of three female companions so far have gotten married off.

I may be mistaken, but I think we have a while before a companion leaves to get married again.

It's actually not nearly as common as that - thank God - but I have to wonder, dramatically speaking, if they really thought through the companions' departures through, when two out of three female companions so far have gotten married off.

I may be mistaken, but I think we have a while before a companion leaves to get married again.

Just going through the rest of the companions in my mind, i think it only happens another 2 times in the whole of the rest of the series. I've put the names of the characters in spoiler tags in case people are watching the series in order and don't want to know whats going to happen, although it's a long way off. On the first occasion it works quite well dramatically

(Jo Grant basically falling in love with a human/younger version of the Doctor)

, the other is completely ludicrous and bizarre

(Leela falling for a guy who she's barely spoken 3 lines to in the whole story)

. You could also make case for one other

(Peri, who the Doctor and audience think is killed, but later we find she's married Brian "Gordon's Alive" Blessed)