What are you reading?

Missy

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, try watching your friend slowly create the characters in Katurian's stories through puppetry, not knowing what its about, and then go see it on the same night you go see Watchmen at midnight. Wonderful show, but OW.

And, honestly, the Pillowman she made (was about eight feet tall, is cuddly and has the damn creepiest smile EVER, especially in teh way she made it move) still appears in my nightmares to this day.

I'm about halfway through Greg Lamberson's "Frenzy Way" which comes out in June (?) I think. I love it. Not a big fan of werewolf stories in film or novel as I find they're aoften done poorly but this one mixes mythology, horror and police procedural very well. Might be Lamberson's best yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished reading 'The Big Short' by Michael Lewis. If you ever wanted to turn up the dial on your hatred for Wall St I definitely recommend this book. Includes a bit about a group of guys that started an investing firm purely to bet on the opposite of what Wall St was doing. Their theory, Wall St bankers are either corrupt or idiots, either way they don't actually know what they are doing. Quite entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...

Rereading Hamlet for my lighting class. I'm half-tempted to stage a production with a giant clock on stage and only let it move when Hamlet actually does anything. Slightly off-topic, the Royal Shakespeare Company production of Hamlet starring David Tennant and Patrick Stewart is on PBS tonight for anyone in the states interested.

Rereading Hamlet for my lighting class. I'm half-tempted to stage a production with a giant clock on stage and only let it move when Hamlet actually does anything. Slightly off-topic, the Royal Shakespeare Company production of Hamlet starring David Tennant and Patrick Stewart is on PBS tonight for anyone in the states interested.

I fucking hate lighting.

1421: The Year China Discovered America, for my Bizzarchaeology class. Oh dear god, this is the biggest bag of crock I've ever read, and I get to write a paper on what the mainstream archaeological belief is that this is trying to refute, and what the nature of the argument and evidence it presents is. I can't wait to rip this a new one. Especially since the guy can't even fucking read Chinese and gets a lot of Chinese history wrong, and doesn't even recognize that all the sources in the native language account for the so-called "missing fleets" that took the world-circumnavigating voyage and completely ignores the fact that mapmakers way back when regularly made up landmasses when they didn't know anything about the area and... I should save this for the paper.

It even spawned a sequel, 1434: The Year a Magnificent Chinese Fleet Sailed to China and Ignited the Renaissance.

...Yeah.

• 6 months later...

Going to be visiting the family for two weeks which means no internet which means alot of reading. So far, Books I have to read:

Turn Coat by Jim Butcher

Changes by Jim Butcher

Side Jobs by Jim Butcher

The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon

Peter & Max by Bill Willingham

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris

I think this will be enough to keep me occupied for two weeks, especially since most of them are at least 300 page novels and the longest of them, The Great & Secret Show, is about 600 odd pages. Same with the Chabon novel.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reading:

"A Gentleman's Game" by Greg Rucka

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larson

"Easy Riders Raging Bulls" by Peter Biskind

"Metallica: Justice for All" by Joel McIver

"It's Superman" by Tom De Haven

"The Shipping News" by Annie Proulx

I do a lot of reading...simultaneously...

• 2 weeks later...

I just mainlined all three books of Suzanne Collin's The Hunger Games trilogy in two days. Seriously, they're YA, but go read them. They're awesome.

Three sentence summary, courtesy of a friend:

"Battle Royale in America. AND THEN IT GETS WORSE. And more complicated."

Longer reasons why you should read the trilogy over here, any spoilers are marked.