Episode 90

RSS

In this slashertastic episode of Dread Media, Desmond Reddick sits down with Darryll to review the downbeat and dark Dead Man's Shoes before going solo on three more slasher films: Laid to Rest, Spiker and Secrets of the Clown. Then he reviews the long-awaited graphic novel adaptation of Clive Barker's short story Age of Desire from Desperado Publishing. There's feedback and more as we start the countdown to episode 100! Tunes included: "Afterlight" by Clayhill, "Dead Man" by M. Ward, "We Call This Mutha Revenge" by Suicidal Tendencies, "The Spike" by Moistboyz, "Clown" by Korn, "Desire" by Life of Agony, and "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow?" by Suicidal Tendencies. [ 1:20:49 || 37.2 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia...admedia_090.mp3

Really cool review of Dead Man's Shoes, I'm glad you got back around to it. You've actually reminded me how much I liked it, I'll have to get it back out and add it to my pile of materials to watch. Throw in the bad Khan references and its like this review was done with me in mind!

I'm not too convinced by the idea that when wearing the ask the guy takes on a new persona. He's so open with his contempt for these guys without the mask that I think he just wears it to add to his aura when around his victims. He doesn't seem to have any real detachment from who he is and what he's doing, which is why the end of the films works so well. Everything he did he did with full knowledge and with a clear head, and he never really had to psyche himself up to do it. When he talks to the victims you can tell that he's absolutely doing this without regret, down to his bones he is determined to do this.

The low-key folk-style soundtrack in particular is a favorite of mine, but the films biggest strength is its near cinema-verite style, the natural performances from the largely untrained cast made Considine all the more threatening. Big props to Toby Kebbell for his portrayal of Anthony as well, without his great work there would have been a big hole in this film. Combine all this with the setting of an English suburb and this film hit very close to home for me, it just felt like a slasher film transplanted into real life where the traditional cliches of the genre were apparent but unforced. There is really only one innocent in the film and everyone else is defined by their relationship to him and how they wronged him in one way or another and someone wants revenge for this, which is basically the set up for Friday the 13th. Like you guys said the only real sympathy you feel for these guys is basic human pity that you'd feel for anyone in that situation.

It really demonstrates how films of any genre can be incredible examples of the best cinema has to offer. I'm looking forward to seeing Swedish vampire film Let the right one in because it is being widely praised as another example of a film completely surpassing the perceived traditional level of its genre.

If you're interested in Paddy Considine he of course featured in Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright's Hot Fuzz as one of the Andy's, but Dread Media fans might get just as much out of the Red Riding series. Set in Yorkshire during the 70's and 80's its a three part TV series (each part being feature-length) about the hunt for serial killers (notably the Yorkshire Ripper) and inherent corruption in the police force. Each part takes place in a different year (1974, 1980 and 1983) and features a revolving cast, so the lead actor and some other notables change but others remain the same. Paddy Considine is the lead player in part 2. The series pretty much features the cream of British talent, including David Morrisey (fake Doctor in the last Dr Who Christmas special) and Sean Bean. Its all based on a series of novels by David Peace and its well worth checking out if you can. Its not some intense gore-fest but it is harsh and uncompromising when dealing with the subject matter at hand.

Edit: I don't mean to blast US critics, there are a lot out there I respect. That being said Dead Man's Shoes has 55% on Rotten Tomatoes and 40% amongst the top critics and the negative reviews are almost all the American ones. Is there some cultural gap here that I'm not seeing? I mean obviously the setting is pretty much alien to the hollywood mainstream but there are universal themes here that are hard to miss.

Thanks for that. I will defintiely be checking out Red Riding.

As far as American reviewers. I don't get it. I don't seriously speak in absolutes a lot but DMS is anything but a negative film. As a piece of cinema I don't get how any reviewer worth their salt can give it a bad review. You can dislike the film but denying its impact and prowess as art is just plain wrong.

I just wanted to say that I agree with everything you wrote, Stavros. I can't get this film out of my head. It was so good.

I agree about the mask. I think he used it as a fear inducer but that doesn't exclude the fact the mask makes him effectively blind and deaf. A dangerous circumstance while infiltrating a house full of enemies. Even stupid animals can pose a threat if surprised or cornered. ( On a related note, during our review I used sentence structure that makes it sound like I am claiming to be a trained commando. I am not. I am actually a ninja;)

Also, Stavros, your mention of cinema-verite style put me in mind of my Jim Jaramouch reference. I mentioned Ghost Dog but, oddly enough, parts of DMS actually reminded me of Broken Flowers. The still vignettes of domestic neighborhoods and dwellings and some of the hand-held camera work in particular. Great stuff.

Regarding Paddy Considine. Apparently, he is in a spanish film with Gary Oldman called The Backwoods. A suspense tale about vacationing couples who run afoul of local villagers after they rescue a mutilated girl from an abandoned cabin. I've read mixed reviews but I am intrigued by the thought of seeing these two powerhouse actors on screen together.

Lastly, I'll bet those unfavorable reviews for DMS in america had more to do with the heavy accents in the movie than anything else. Their loss, I guess.

Nuff' said.

PS: Just wanted to quickly go on record saying that Dread's Khan impression is the worst I've ever heard and that alone makes this episode worth the price of admission.

Guest DCAUFan1051

congrats on 90 eps Des... your only 10 away from your goal of not missing any and getting to 100.

Unless I missed an ep somewhere that u weren't in.