• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw this movie. Yeah I now know what everybody means when they say this sucked. Also, the 3-d wasn't that amazing, it hurt my eyes more than it impressed me, I mean its not impressive when its no that noticeable like 3-d normally is (even though the old 3-d was stupid itself). I just say fuck 3-d, I have had a headache all day from it, and a few times during the movie I had to take the uncomfortable glasses off just to scratch/rub my eyes and forehead because of the 3-d pain (this all may just be me though), I also had to take off the glasses a few times to facepalm at parts in the movie. James Cameron threw in all these cliched characters, already used plots and put it all in a 3 hour movie, then covered all this crap with 3-d and the best of modern animation and shitty music to make each part seem like its epic.

Maybe there aren't a lot of answers to the following questions or maybe there are regular things that must happen in all movies, but still, read them.

How many stories is there where there is a noob to a certain part of the military and he is the main character and is disrespected at first by everyone and then later becomes the hero?

How many stories is there where the man falls in love with a women that is one of the enemies?

How many stories is there where the man becomes attached to the people he is with even though he is a spy for the other people, and then he has to do something eh doesn't want to do or he decides not to and switches sides?

How many stories is there where there's a hardass/douche bag general that is eventually shown to be more of a villain?

How many stories is there where the head of the team of villains is the last one standing in a battle and then pursues to fight with the main character/hero and dies (maybe to because of the help of a supporting character)?

How many stories is there where an unlikely character ends up helping out?

How many stories is there where the hero and others are captured an then escape (maybe because of the help of another good guy character that isn't captured)?

How many stories is there where one side is said to be bad, when later you realize they are the good guys?

I could go on but I might as well sum up all of this by saying fuck James Cameron and fuck Avatar!

How many stories are there where there is a noob to a certain part of the military and he is the main character and is disrespected at first by everyone and then later becomes the hero?

How many stories are there where the man falls in love with a women that is one of the enemies?

How many stories are there where the man becomes attached to the people he is with even though he is a spy for the other people, and then he has to do something eh doesn't want to do or he decides not to and switches sides?

How many stories are there where there's a hardass/douche bag general that is eventually shown to be more of a villain?

How many stories are there where the head of the team of villains is the last one standing in a battle and then pursues to fight with the main character/hero and dies (maybe to because of the help of a supporting character)?

How many stories are there where an unlikely character ends up helping out?

How many stories are there where the hero and others are captured an then escape (maybe because of the help of another good guy character that isn't captured)?

How many stories are there where one side is said to be bad, when later you realize they are the good guys?

I'm sorry, but that was driving me crazy.

• 3 weeks later...
UPDATE: Fox contacted us today saying that "Avatar" is not scheduled to be released on 3D Blu-ray in November. "3D is in the conceptual stage and 'Avatar' will not be out on 3D Blu-ray in November," the studio said. We'll let you know when they do expect it to be released in 3D.

James Cameron told The Wall Street Journal today that Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release the Blu-ray and "standard def" DVD for Avatar on Thursday, April 22, which is Earth Day.

"That's our plan as of right now, and that'll be pretty much bare bones," he said. "And then we'll do a value-added DVD and a 3-D Blu-ray in I think November sometime."

Cameron added that he hopes to do an Avatar sequel, but he wants to do it "cheaper and faster." He said the sequel will be "a continuation of the same characters. We're going to widen the universe in quotes, meaning the envelope of the setting of the story."

Cameron has previously said that they "have some story ideas for how to branch out into other moons of Polyphemus and the Alpha Centauri A solar system." Polyphemus, which is the primary for a system of moons, is the planet you see in Pandora's sky.

Source

quicker and faster, yeah cause that's how you make a good movie.....

On the DVD/Blu-ray sales front, there is no way that this movie will have the same level of ticket/dvd sale conversions as other movies. The high box office gross has the 3D buzz to thank, which won't carry over to the DVD sales. So if you're looking to buy Newscorp stock, that will be an opportunity, as people will be 'disappointed' with the DVD sales...

I had a rather interesting conversation with one of my tutors who has in the past written a great deal on the nature of the film industry and the fact that outside of oil (and concrete production- 1 ton of CO2 per ton of concrete) the film industry is the most environmentally unfriendly business there is, which makes it an absurd medium to pass on an environmentalist message. Yes, this guy is a south african buddist and a slight nutcase, but still he makes interesting points.

Anyway, his main objection was the biological hegemony of Pandora. The idea that what it really is isn't the symbiosis of all its life forms, its some crypto-fascistic ideal where the entire planet is factually predisposed to serve the superior bipeds. It basically reaffirms the superiority of man and their right to control all life on the most fundamental terms, which is pretty far away from being one with nature, its just a more insidious way of exerting control over that world.

• 1 month later...
When it comes to the movie's release on Blu-ray and DVD, one would think it would be just as groundbreaking, so many people were surprised to learn a no-frills movie-only version would be released on Earth Day, April 22, just four months after the movie's theatrical release. There's definitely a method to the madness, including Cameron wanting to release the highest quality high-definition version of the movie as possible, using the entire capacity of a Blu-ray disc for that, rather than including lots of bells and whistles. Instead, they'll be saving that for a four-disc version being prepared for November which will include deleted scenes, a two-hour documentary on the making of the movie and more.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65324

Sounds like Cameron went to the George Lucas School of Fucking Over Your Fans. There will be people who will end up buying both Blu-Ray versions because they won't know to wait for the good one.