The all purpose new bat-book thread.

SuaveStar

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically, they retconned him the first time with black hair. Jason had red hair originally.

Really? I had no idea.

Pre-Crisis Jason was a red haired acrobat, who dyed his hair to more closely resemble Dick.

Post-Crisis Jason was a black haired street urchin.

I'm amazed Morrison picked and chose like that. He's normal the kind of guy to take one thing and run with it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a fan of the big reveal at the end of Detective Comics

Why not? I thought it was great.

Jim was right to be nervous about James, who is torturing a childhood bully by dismembering him while he's still alive, in his basement.

I thought it was more interesting if he wasn't a crazed killer and his father was just paranoid

Not a fan of the big reveal at the end of Detective Comics

Why not? I thought it was great.

Jim was right to be nervous about James, who is torturing a childhood bully by dismembering him while he's still alive, in his basement.

I thought it was more interesting if he wasn't a crazed killer and his father was just paranoid

The problem with that is, where could they take the story from there? It may be more interesting in the short term, but they can't have all the set up and then just pull the rug out and say it was The Joker really doing the bad shit that is going on. If they do, that'd be a giant cop-out.

• 1 month later...

I just finished Batman Inc #8 and for the most part, I have no fucking clue what I just read. The art was some of the strangest I've seen in a long time, but it sort of worked. The ending does call back into earlier in Morrison's run:

Jezebel Jet, the mastermind helping Dr Hurt during Rot In Purgatory (Batman: RIP) is working for Leviathan, and has risen from the grave.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

In a recent interview, Grant Morrison spoke about the ending of The Killing Joke:

No one gets the end, because Batman kills The Joker... That's why it's called The Killing Joke. The Joker tells the "Killing Joke" at the end, Batman reaches out and breaks his neck, and that's why the laughter stops and the light goes out, 'cause that was the last chance at crossing that bridge. And Alan Moore wrote the ultimate Batman / Joker story -- he finished it.

I don't know if that was Alan Moore's intent, however, Morrison's interpretation makes a lot of sense. That said, once DC decided to place The Killing Joke into continuity, the "Batman kills The Joker" ending went out the window.

• 7 months later...

I have a running theory that MI6, or any fiction that has super spies, keeps James Bond on the payroll mainly as a smokescreen for their real agents. Because he has a known identity and a known face, he would be effectively useless within most real spy agencies. So, they send him on cases where either secrecy means squat or when they need to keep whoever from looking in that direction.

What I'm saying is, since Dick Grayson had his face broadcast on every tv in the world with his name, he is completely useless as a real spy of any sort so they're setting him up to have a short life. Factor in in that nearly anyone with 12 brain cells can do the math on the Batman connection and he's just double screwed.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Honestly, and this isn't my anti-new 52 bias coming out, but I'd subtract the Talon and Nobody fights. They were cool, but at no point were they contenders for "BEST EVAR".

I do agree with the fights that Batman's had struggled in, like the KGBeast, Shiva and the Mutant Leader. Even Hush's Superman fight to an extent. List is missing his fight with the Wrath, one of the best and most underrated Batman stories of all time.