Which companion has your favorite family?

Which companion has your favorite family?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As much as I love Donna's family, my vote goes to the Tylers. It's amazing the way those characters grow. What's even more amazing is how much I latched onto Peter, who's only in a few episodes. When the alternate reality Peter finally meets Jackie, I get tears in my eyes.

Though Martha's family was seen, they were background noise; we never really got to know them. They were there to forward the Mr. Saxon plot, and that's it.

I have to agree with you, Mike. I enjoyed Martha's family, but we didn't get to know them that well. The sheer awesomeness of Wilfred is canceled out by the sheer annoyance of Sylvia. As much as I don't care about Rose, her family (and Mickie) are the best so far.

I have to admit I'm pretty partial to the Tylers because I've been a big fan of Camille Coduri since Nuns on the Run and King Ralph. She's hilarious.

Martha's mom scares me with her giant painted on eyebrows and overall grumpiness. Her sister was ok I guess. We never really got to know them.

Donna's family cancels each other out in my opinion. I enjoy Wilfred but hate Sylvia.

Surprised everyone seems to dislike Sylvia Noble. I quite liked her as the hard, disapproving mother, and I thought she played well against Wilfred. I found it funny that she'd sometimes put him in his place, considering Wilfred was her father and all. Granted, she didn't grow as much as Jackie, but her turn in the last episode of the season -- where she finally showed pride in her daughter -- always hits me hard.

I voted for the Noble's myself. Sylvia, while a harpy much of the time, did make me happy at the end of Series 4. She is Donna's mother in the end and her telling the Doctor that he should leave is the thing I would do if I found out if someone nearly let my child get killed. Wilf, well, Wilf is all levels of awesome. It really also makes you think how much different the series would have turned out if the actor who played Donna's father hadn't passed away. Donna's father, from what we saw of him in The Runaway Bride, probably wouldn't have been quite the character Wilf turned out to be. Anyway around though, while Jackie Tyler grew, Wilf just being awesome puts Donna's family over the top.

She is Donna's mother in the end and her telling the Doctor that he should leave is the thing I would do if I found out if someone nearly let my child get killed.

That's not quite how I took the scene. I always thought she threw him out because he put her in her place.

The Doctor: I just want you to know, there are worlds out there. Safe in the sky because of her. That there are people living in the light, and singing songs of Donna Noble. A thousand, million light years away. They will never forget her, while she can never remember. But for one moment, one shining moment, she was the most important woman in the whole wide universe.

Sylvia: She still is. She's my daughter.

The Doctor: Then maybe you should tell her that once in a while.

After that she glares at him coldly and, once Donna pops in, says The Doctor was just leaving.

Can someone let me know why everyone loves Donnas grandad so much, I just didn't feel he was as great as Jackie in the foil role?

I mean season two Jackie who was lighthearted and fun.

When the Doctor says to her in season four after telling everyone to do something important in the tardis:

Jackie.......don't touch anything.

Just to be clear, Wilfred wasn't her dad. He was her grandfather.

That said, it was the heart he brought to the role. Bernard Cribbins oozed compassion as Wilfred Mott. In his eyes, you could see the unconditional love he felt for Donna. Cribbins wasn't just an actor playing a part, he was Wilfred.

The Tylers for me. I recently rewatched the first series, and even then, there were some great bits with them.

Jackie Tyler: I'm in my dressing gown.

The Doctor: Yes, you are.

Jackie Tyler: There's a strange man in my bedroom.

The Doctor: Yes, there is.

Jackie Tyler: Well, anything could happen.

The Doctor: [shakes his head and smiles] No.

Rose was an only child who was raised by a widow. Her father died when she was just an infant, and her boyfriend stuck by her side no matter what.

Martha had two siblings, no boyfriend, and her parents were only recently separated.

Ignoring the fact that Jackie reunited with a Peter, and Francine and Clive got back together, I don't see how the two families share any similarities.

That's fine. I get that. What I don't get, though, is saying her family was like Rose's.

Well bad guy kidnaps both familys.

It worked for Rose's, as her mum and dad were at the dinner party.

The Master made Marthas family his slaves for no real reason.

Rose's father died and Martha's dad was not their and had to be reunited with her mum, a bit like Jackie and Roses dad.

It's a few minor things I know, but it's just they didn't explore her family much and expected you to feel something, wheras with the Tylers we had two seasons to get them and their characteristics.

Meh, maybe It's just me.

Dubs, you hated an English girl!?

Martha's family I didn't care for because they were used as weapons by The Master and were that easily manipulated into doing what he wanted them to do (Except Leo. He does nothing and could have just as easily not existed.). It's heavily implied that Clive and Francine broke up because of the girlfriend and Clive is working to get Martha home from the Doctor in The Sound of Drums, just as much as Francine. Tish is a puppet, getting jobs because The Master wanted to lure Martha and the Doctor into traps. Cousin Adeola gets used by the Cybermen at Canary Wharf. For that matter, Francine is the biggest puppet of them all: she has a bad feeling about the Doctor, believes what she's told to think, and then used to try and destroy The Doctor and Martha. Then, to top it all off, The Master tries to get her to kill him. As for why the Jonses was kept around by The Master, they were ammo against Martha. She had to live with the knowledge that anything that happened to them was because of her. Plus, humiliating them was fun for him and his way of attacking Martha, even if he couldn't find her (I figure the reason why The Master burnt Japan to a cinder was because he knew Martha was there and why take chances?). Frankly, Martha's family exist so super-villains can use them for toys. If she marries Tommy Milligan, I would not be surprised if he isn't being used by the Slitheen for something within a year.