The Blackest Night

prez

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not completely Blackest Night related but from Newsarama:

The "revolving door of death" was originally touched on back in Infinite Crisis, the Teen Titans Brother Blood tie in I believe (w/Kid Eternity) and I remember hearing it was going to be fixed then. Was there a reason it was pushed back and is now a topic being discussed about Blackest Night?

DiDio: No, it wasn't pushed back then. It was a topic of Blackest Night that we were discussing at that point. Geoff had an idea of where stories were going, and he knew he was going to do a big story basically addressing death in the DC Universe, and Blackest Night is that story.

Nrama: The story has been addressing death, obviously, but will we see more specifically this idea of fixing the revolving door of death?

DiDio: Well, first of all, the revolving door of death is a staple of comic book storytelling. I hate to say that, but it's true. It's something that's been occurring for as long as I've been reading comics – you know, with characters who are supposed to have been dead or dying and ultimately returning over the course of time.

The thing that will be disappearing will be the rebooting of characters, where a character dies and you don't know how to bring him back, so you just bring him back and move on from there. That you'll see less of or very little of, or none of, in the DCU moving ahead post-Blackest Night.

You also won't see as much arbitrary death in the DC Universe, in that, if a character dies in the DCU, there's a very good chance you won't be seeing him at all. So therefore, we have to be more judicious in regards to how we make decisions about what happens to certain characters.

But you know what? We're not even sure there is a DCU after Blackest Night, so all these questions might be moot. But we'll continue in the spirit of "10 Answers and 1 Question."

Those are the two big issues right now for me is that what we're trying to do is be much more judicious about using death as a story point, and it really has to happen with a level of emotional impact or value across the line in order for something like that to be considered post-Blackest Night.

So, I'm kinda excited and hey Mike called it back in Earth-2.net The Show 327.

Is it true that

Barry Allen says that Hal is the greatest JLAer and that for everyone to survive, they need to be more like him?

Because that's kind of bullshit.

I think that makes sense, actually.

Hal is one of the only non-metahumans who rises to the level of Superman and the rest. He's basically the standard that all others can aspire to be.

Sure, he's not a meta, but he has a magic ring. Bruce managed to rise to their level with batarangs and brains.

Hal might have the ring, but he's ultimately human. He was granted the ring because of his incredible willpower and bravery in the face of fear. Heck, the ring's power itself is literally just a physical manifestation of Hal's own willpower.

Batman is amazing, but he's not exactly the ideal model for a superhero. Hal, on the other hand, is basically the best that a human can aspire to be.

Sure, he's not a meta, but he has a magic ring. Bruce managed to rise to their level with batarangs and brains.

Hal might have the ring, but he's ultimately human. He was granted the ring because of his incredible willpower and bravery in the face of fear. Heck, the ring's power itself is literally just a physical manifestation of Hal's own willpower.

Batman is amazing, but he's not exactly the ideal model for a superhero. Hal, on the other hand, is basically the best that a human can aspire to be.

What, a corruptible frat-boy who drools over jailbait?

I don't even think Hal is the best Earth Based GL, let alone best JLA-er. I mean, both Kyle and Guy are far more willing to fight the good fight and far less corruptible. Hell, Blackest Night #3 has

Barry chewing Hal out for wanting to run off half cocked and try and find Carol, even though Indigo-1 just told him that he was needed to destroy the Black Lanterns. His response? "Find someone else that can wield light, like Alan Scott or the Ray."

Well, not exactly. Apparently he didn't know that she was a Star Sapphire, which makes her perfectly capable of defending herself. He was the only Green Lantern on Earth. If he was really the greatest JLA-er, he'd have gladly dug his heels in, and helped the Indigo Lanterns. I think it's a nice character moment, but I think it makes Barry look like a fool for saying he's the greatest hero an issue later.

Well, not exactly. Apparently he didn't know that she was a Star Sapphire, which makes her perfectly capable of defending herself. He was the only Green Lantern on Earth. If he was really the greatest JLA-er, he'd have gladly dug his heels in, and helped the Indigo Lanterns. I think it's a nice character moment, but I think it makes Barry look like a fool for saying he's the greatest hero an issue later.

Well, this is Barry we're talking about, who is practically defined by his love for Iris.

Well, this is Barry we're talking about, who is practically defined by his love for Iris.

Yeah, but Barry and Iris have a pretty healthy, normal relationship. Hal has nailed every piece of super-jail-bait from here to Oa, Carol was just the first one since he got the ring.

Hal, had nothing going for him up until he found the ring, he didn't grow up wanting to be a hero, he just had to become one, he wasn't a metahuman, nor was he scarred as a child, he had to go out and defend the universe from when he was an adult.

Meaning that Kyle Rayner really is the best non meta going today.

Hal, had nothing going for him up until he found the ring, he didn't grow up wanting to be a hero, he just had to become one, he wasn't a metahuman, nor was he scarred as a child, he had to go out and defend the universe from when he was an adult.

Does that not make him more of someone to look up to?

Like I said before, the ring chose him for a reason. It didn't choose John Stewart, Guy Gardner, or Kyle Rayner. They were all secondary. Hal is the quintessential Green Lantern. He's a regular guy who had to rise up as a hero when given the responsibility. He's not an alien, a god, or anything else. He's human. He doesn't have mental superpowers or a scarred psyche to make him fight as hard as he can for those he cares for; he does the right thing because he can.

The other Green Lanterns have similar qualities, but Hal is the strongest of them all.

Does that not make him more of someone to look up to?

Like I said before, the ring chose him for a reason. It didn't choose , Guy Gardner

Wasn't Guy's origin that he was meant to get the ring but Hal was closer?