Michael Jackson dead at 50

Missy

It's kind of eerie how much his death is like Elvis's death. They both died of sudden heart failure , and now the Jackson family attorney is saying Jackson had a drug addiction just like Elvis. They both died getting ready for a big comeback tour also.

Maybe there is a curse on the Presley family that leaked on Michael when he was married to Lisa Marie, kind of like the Lee curse

Maybe there is a curse on the Presley family that leaked on Michael when he was married to Lisa Marie, kind of like the Lee curse

The last thing the world needs is urban legends about another sad old person who couldn't handle fame.

Remember all the times he was hospitalized for "exhaustion" and treated for "addiction to painkillers"? He took a lot of drugs. That was his curse.

The last thing the world needs is urban legends about another sad old person who couldn't handle fame.

Remember all the times he was hospitalized for "exhaustion" and treated for "addiction to painkillers"? He took a lot of drugs. That was his curse.

Bingo.

Can't say I'm all that shocked by this, but I certainly wasn't expecting it. Despite what he's become in the past two decades, I still have fond memories of the guy. He was a phenominal performer and musician. It's just a shame that his life was so messed up.

I just watched the Nostalgia Critic Moonwalker video and now I feel sad. Here's a link to Smooth Criminal so we can remember the man is awesomer days.

That Smooth Criminal video was the embodiment of Jackson at his peak. The coin toss into the juke box might be the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Its a shame that he came to this end but he'd been on a downward spiral for a long time. Innocent or not he was a very strange guy who really was guilty of at least very inappropriate behaviour. I lost my admiration for the man a long time ago but the legacy of his music makes him one of the greatest of all time. This man defined popular music and a sense of style that nobody else on earth could pull off. Nobody could do the dancing the style of singing, the costumes any of it and look anything but stupid. He made it work.

More than anything I wish he'd never caught fire on that Pepsi advert. Who knows what would have happened but I like to think we'd have a natural looking Jackson who was still making music today and putting most modern pop artists to shame.

I just hope everyone remembers the man for what he was, a great entertainer and not what he was later in his life.

This is not specifically aimed at you Suave, but I hate it when people use that phrase. I don't like it when people's errors are allowed to sidestepped when it comes to tributes and the media narratives behind them. It might be the recent death of Jade Goody that was my final straw for this kind of thing, but the woman was a thoroughly unpleasant, ignorant bully, coasting to wealth by the UK's supine celebrity-worshipping media. And yet she's been given the Princess Diana treatment for being unfortunate enough to be afflicted with terminal cancer (and Princess Diana hardly merited the national outpouring of grief that she got either). I'm not saying all mistakes you've ever made in life should be dredged up and included in your obituary; it's very much subjective depending on the mistake, but when you study someone from history, you don't just go looking for one side of someone's personality. Winston Churchill was VERY flawed but gets voted as our greatest Briton whilst Richard III had some great policies as king, but is forever remembered as a nephew-murdering hunchback, which has yet to be factually proved.

On topic, I'm not posting to dress down Michael Jackson - the guy was a phenomenal artist in the 80s and I liked the Jackson 5 well enough. But you can't overlook the fact that he went from a black man to white, overgrown child whose erratic behaviour dented his legacy and that the child abuse stigma has continued to hang over him because of this, despite the fact he has never been found guilty of an actual offence. You have to look back at him as a whole, both as an amazingly gifted singer-songwriter and dancer, and as a man whose eccentricity increasingly damaged his reputation.

If that sounds harsh, I should add that when he announced his proposed summer schedule of dates in London earlier in the year, the fans watching him were absolutely ecstatic to see him Grown men, women, children - despite it all, Jackson could inspire people like few others. It's one of those celebrity deaths that's going to linger for a while, that's for sure.

Well, I don't put Jade Goody in the same place as him, as she was, for all intents and purposes, a waste of space and used that to her advantage.

I mean, I hope people remember the great music he made first, and the innovator of the music video and not the fact that he was an overgrown child who was probably a paedophile, yet never proven, and was so fucked up by his child beating father, that he wanted nothing more than to be the one thing he could never be, a white face in the crowd.

But yeah, I'm just saying it's sad that he died, as it's sad when anyone dies, but for the next day lets just crank up the thriller and say "Yes, he was wrong and tomorrow we will all go back to remembering Bashirs revealing expose"

But I get where your coming from Ian.

Winston Churchill was VERY flawed but gets voted as our greatest Briton whilst Richard III had some great policies as king, but is forever remembered as a nephew-murdering hunchback, which has yet to be factually proved.

Are you suggesting that Shakespeare threw in some Screenwriting For Dummies character and plot twists just to sell the play?

I hope the world doesn't forget that beyond being a great singer and dancer, he was also a weirdo who admittedly got his kicks from sleeping with little kids.

I'm sick and tired of celebrity hero worship. It was sad that he died and that his life was seemingly a series of fucked up events that made him the man he is today, but is he ultimately responsible for his own actions? Yes. He is.