District 9

• 5 weeks later...

I saw it yesterday, thought it was good but not great. It had a mild personality crisis, like it couldn't decide if it wanted to do the full-on The Office style faux documentary or a more straightforward Hollywood blockbuster filled with ninja camerawork, so it just randomly jumped between the two. It was a great premise, but I felt like most of the elaborations from the original short film were unnecessary. Fun and thoughtful but not exactly game changing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw it.

It seriously looks like a $150 million film; I have no idea how they had all that near-flawless CG in the film.

My theory is that

they actually found real aliens, and paid them in 35 million dollars' worth of cat food.

Also, I haven't seen so many exploding bodies since I last played Unreal Tournament.

• 4 months later...

Ok so I finally found this. The lead guy, unbelievable that he hadn't done any acting at all before this. He was just amazing. I read an interview with the director saying that he wanted the Aliens to be bipeds, as it makes it easier for us to sympathise with them. I would saying having a kid alien helps with that as well.

All in all, I thought it was fantastic and could definitely watch it multiple more times.