Final Fantasy IV: The After Years

RSS

People have many different opinions when it comes to the Final Fantasy series. To some, the games are the best titles ever made, and form one of the finest franchises to ever exist. To others, they're trite, boring, and the stories are so unstructured and nonsensical it removes any possible emotion that the fans claim is the bread and butter of the series.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/reviews/v/final-fantasy-4-the-after-years-01

Good read. Wasn't even aware they made this.

You find IV to be the weakest though? Worse than the three that came before it? Most people seem to put IV right before VI on their favorites lists (myself included), so I find that pretty interesting.

You find IV to be the weakest though? Worse than the three that came before it? Most people seem to put IV right before VI on their favorites lists (myself included), so I find that pretty interesting.

Yeah, that's true. Most of the die-hard FF fans put IV and VI at the top, followed by any number of random games from the VII-XII era. I'd definitely put IV above I, II, III, and V. (I don't really count the 3D games as being in the same series)

(BTW, am I the only person here that loves VIII more than VII?)

Nice review. I'm interested in playing FF IV: The After myself. But I get the feeling the game would be lost on me, since I've never gotten around to playing the original.

(I don't really count the 3D games as being in the same series)

Even IX? It's a pretty big throwback to the earlier games in the series.

VIII has it's fans. I really didn't like Squall though, and that made it hard for me to get into the game. There are ideas in FFVIII that I really like, but the overall package doesn't do much for me.

Possibly? I've yet to play VII, but I couldn't get past the first disc of VIII cause I hated the characters so much.

See, I liked the characters.

VIII has it's fans. I really didn't like Squall though, and that made it hard for me to get into the game. There are ideas in FFVIII that I really like, but the overall package doesn't do much for me.

Ah. Yeah, I really love Squall. He's maybe my favorite FF protagonist. Also, the battle system in FF8 is a lot more fun for me than the generic JRPG system that FF7 had.

I definitely like FF7's world better, though.

Wasn't even aware they made this.

A bit late to the draw here, but you actually commented on the game when it was announced a few months back.

Ha. Even more evidence that they're making too many Final Fantasy games. I can't keep track of which one's I've cursed the name of.

VIII is my favorite of the PSone era, and you'll find no one that hates VII more than me.

Can we just get our effing new Chrono-Game?

I used to be on this campaign for years, but the more I think about it, the less I want it to happen now. Square-Enix is not the same company that gave us Chrono Trigger or even Chrono Cross. This is a company that bought Square for the sole purpose of pimping out Final Fantasy games until the franchise becomes utterly meaningless. I can not trust these people to give us another Chrono game. Plus, at this point, no matter how great Chrono Break would have been, it wouldn't have pleased even half of the diehard fans. Look at Cross. It was fantastic and yet it's still hated by 50% of the Trigger fanbase simply because it wasn't a "direct" sequel. People just wanted to play as Crono and fight Lavos again. You can't get The Dream Team back together again, and even those people aren't what they used to be. Just look at Blue Dragon.