The Walking Dead

Koete

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was pretty great as well. The opening scene made it clear that they wouldn't be pulling punches, the emotional moments hit (especially the ones with Morgan and Duane), and there were some impressive shots that really gave the show impact (specifically the long shot of Rick riding into Atlanta and the overhead zoom out at the end).

I have no problem with making changes from the comic, they said they would be doing that in the lead up to the show. However

the white racist didn't add much except for a few excuses to be "edgy" by dropping the n-word. Also, I think making Shane and Lori's relationship more than a one night stand is less impactful, but that might be just me. I can't decide if the scene with Glenn driving off at the end of the episode was a nice, happy moment before shit gets even worse or just stupid. This last thing is a nitpick, but was the zombie with a rock too much?

While I have yet to be blown away by an episode. I've liked the first three so far. I Loooooooveddddd Michael Rooker in 2 and I watched 2 and 3 back-to-back so I don't know if that colours my enjoyment. I thought the second was probably the strongest of the three.

As far as zombies with rocks - and Koete can prepare the "The More You Know" logo - the very first modern zombie the world ever saw (the one who attacked Barbara in the cemetery in 1968's Night of the Living Dead) attacked her car window with a rock. So, not only is it not at all out of place, it is an homage to the big bad daddy that started it all. In fact, Romero's zombies (which the WD variety are very close to) retain sense memory (like WD's smelling), muscle memory (like WD's little girl holding on to her dolly) and some primal sense of their past existence (WD's bus sitting zombies).

So, if the television show is doing one thing, it's establishing their zombies as being exactly the same as the most famous and enduring version of the zombie.

Thank you, tip your waitress.

Hmm. Good insights on the zombies. I hadn't thought about the Romero zombies.

I really thought Michael Rooker's character was WAAAY over-the-top, though. Totally made me think "this is a TV show, with a character that is obviously meant to be nothing more than an insane racist." His brother, though, (Daryll, I think?) seems to be a lot deeper, especially in the 4th episode.

I really thought Michael Rooker's character was WAAAY over-the-top, though. Totally made me think "this is a TV show, with a character that is obviously meant to be nothing more than an insane racist."

I thought the same thing after episode 2, but the beginning of episode 3 made me think that there might be dimension to this character yet. I haven't seen episode 4 yet to see if that feeling continues.

Okay, tonight's episode is the best so far.

I loved the twist with the gang, and apparently it's based off of stuff that actually happened during Katrina, so it's neat to see that reflected in their thinking.

However, Amy and Andrea... I honestly wanted to throttle Andrea as she was weeping and wailing as Amy died. DUDE. I GET GRIEF, BUT SHE'S GOING TO RISE NOT TOO LONG AFTER THAT. DECAPITATE HER. SHOOT HER. THEN YOU CAN BAWL AND DITHER.

Okay, tonight's episode is the best so far.

I loved the twist with the gang, and apparently it's based off of stuff that actually happened during Katrina, so it's neat to see that reflected in their thinking.

However, Amy and Andrea... I honestly wanted to throttle Andrea as she was weeping and wailing as Amy died. DUDE. I GET GRIEF, BUT SHE'S GOING TO RISE NOT TOO LONG AFTER THAT. DECAPITATE HER. SHOOT HER. THEN YOU CAN BAWL AND DITHER.

But that is the zombie cliche, grieving relatives placed at risk by their empathy. It's a lesson they'll learn the hard way at some point.