Teen Wolf MTV Pilot

JackFetch

MTV's reinvention of the 1980s movie "Teen Wolf" is inching closer to reality with a pilot presentation order.

The cable network announced the project in January as part of its development slate. After seeing the script, MTV brass picked it up to presentation.

The 1985 film starred Michael J. Fox as a teenager who discovers he is a werewolf. The MTV version will be set in high school, draw from the horror genre to explore werewolf mythology and include a romantic plot line.

"It has a fresh take and is very different from the original," said Liz Gateley, senior vp MTV series development. "It has more of an 'American Werewolf in London' feel to it. It's a dramatic thriller with two best friends in the center who provide a great comedy element: They are two very relatable characters on the outer circles of popular cliques."

The new "Wolf" was written by "Criminal Minds" creator Jeff Davis, who executive produces the pilot with Marty Adelstein (Fox's "Prison Break") and Rene Echevarria (ABC's "Castle").

The '80s continue to be hot at the broadcast networks, with contemporary remakes of the feature "Parenthood" and miniseries "V" set to launch next season on NBC and ABC, respectively, and ABC and Fox developing series based on "St. Elmo's Fire" and "Heathers," respectively.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i76e7bfe15f67e9f1d24974597ec660bf

There better be a Styles and Boof.

• 3 months later...
MTV has assembled the acting pack for "Teen Wolf," its reinvention of the 1985 movie.

Tyler Posey, Tyler Hoechlin, Crystal Reed and Dylan O'Brien have been cast in the pilot presentation penned by "Criminal Minds" creator Jeff Davis.

MTV's take on the film, which starred Michael J. Fox as a high-school student who discovers he is a werewolf, is a dramatic thriller with a buddy-comedy element at the center and a romantic plot line.

It revolves around Scott McCall (Posey), a dorky high-school student who gets a rush of new powers, including the ability to attract girls, after a wolf attack.

Posey's series credits include "Lincoln Heights" and "Brothers & Sisters."

O'Brien will play Scott's best friend who is initially dismissive of Scott's theory that he was bitten by a wolf but then begins research on human-werewolf transformation.

Reed (MTV's "Hard Times") will play a sweet new girl at school who is immediately smitten with Scott. Reed is repped by Mavrick Artists and Main Title.

"7th Heaven" alum Hoechlin will play a handsome local boy who in fact is a vicious and predatory werewolf capable of great harm.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i27f167feba4ef287c8507f9fb989bcd0

• 2 months later...
Were you familiar with the original Teen Wolf when you got this one? Which character do you play?

Reed: My character Allison doesn't exist in the original. I guess I'm sort of the Boof character, but not really. The difference is I'm the love interest from the beginning. I'm so excited about this!

What's the biggest difference between the original and the remake?

Reed: It's not really funny. I mean, there is that comedic aspect, definitely between Scott [Tyler Posey] and Stiles. There's a Stiles in our version and he's brilliant, he's going to be really good. So you have that, but there's also the romantic kind of pull, which is really the center, and it's also really dark. The way it's filmed, the colors are very saturated, so the look reminds me of True Blood. The blacks are black and the red's pop. The script is not at all like the original. It's not a remake, they're just simply using the names, the locations are the same and instead of basketball, he plays lacrosse. There are going to be some really interesting twists and turns. The writing is amazing and the special effects are brilliant. The other thing that's cool is he's not in a full werewolf costume.

What does Scott look like when he "wolfs out"?

Reed: He looks really human, because he's a young werewolf, so the things that are changing are his eye color. His ears are going to be a bit pointier and the hair on his hands is going to go up to about here. [Points to her elbows] Obviously, his muscles are going to grow. Progressively as he gets older as a werewolf, he'll become more wolf-like. The very first time he turns, it's actually pretty scary.

Are they using CG or physical prosthetics?

Reed: I think they're doing both.

What about working with the director Russell Mulcahy, who's good friends with the creator of Teen Wolf, Jeff Davis?

Reed: He's a lovely person and so great to work with, because he gives you your artistic space where you can kind of interpret what you want the character to be. And then he'll just say, "Now, what if Scott was looking at you this entire time and you can just sense him? How would you look at him?" He kind of lets you think that you thought of what to do on your own, and that's what a great director does. When you think about it, it all clicks. He's really mellow and really great.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=14244

No Boof, and no basketball means no watching for me.

What's the biggest difference between the original and the remake?

Reed: It's not really funny. I mean, there is that comedic aspect, definitely between Scott [Tyler Posey] and Stiles. There's a Stiles in our version and he's brilliant, he's going to be really good. So you have that, but there's also the romantic kind of pull, which is really the center, and it's also really dark. The way it's filmed, the colors are very saturated, so the look reminds me of True Blood. The blacks are black and the red's pop. The script is not at all like the original. It's not a remake, they're just simply using the names, the locations are the same and instead of basketball, he plays lacrosse. There are going to be some really interesting twists and turns. The writing is amazing and the special effects are brilliant. The other thing that's cool is he's not in a full werewolf costume.

What does Scott look like when he "wolfs out"?

Reed: He looks really human, because he's a young werewolf, so the things that are changing are his eye color. His ears are going to be a bit pointier and the hair on his hands is going to go up to about here. [Points to her elbows] Obviously, his muscles are going to grow. Progressively as he gets older as a werewolf, he'll become more wolf-like. The very first time he turns, it's actually pretty scary.

Fucking Twilight.

• 2 months later...
MTV is sinking its teeth into "Teen Wolf."

Cabler has greenlit the pilot to series and ordered 12 hourlong episodes. Production will begin in summer.

Show is based on the campy 1985 bigscreen pic starring Michael J. Fox. In the film, Fox is a high school student bitten by a wolf and must learn to deal with his sudden animal attributes. In the new smallscreen edition, Tyler Posey plays the lead.

"We loved the conceit of the original film and knew the title had a great hook," said Liz Gateley, senior VP of series development. "The creative challenge was to take that title and reinvent it as a horror series for the MTV audience."

Jeff Davis ("Criminal Minds") wrote the pilot and will exec produce with Rene Echevarria, Marty Adelstein and Michael Thorn. Russell Mulcahy directed the pilot. Skein is a co-production with MGM.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118019654.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&ref=bd_tv

I love how the writer has obviously never seen the original and just made up what it was about.

FUCK, that is just sloppy, sloppy writing. But no one will give a shit and this person will keep getting a paycheck. Maybe he just got confused and that is the plot for this new thing?

On a side note, how funny was the bit on Colbert with MJF plugging his book. I enjoyed that more than I should have.

• 10 months later...

Trailer

Scott was just a regular guy until one bite changed his life forever.

Now he struggles to understand who he is and what he might become. Is he more wolf than human - or is it the other way around? Whichever it is, it's not going to be easy. Scott will try to control his urges, but mostly he's scared that it's his urges that could end up controlling him.

TEEN WOLF is the story of Scott as he tries to walk the line between what he wants and what he can't help from wanting. Will the bite end up being a gift? Or will it be a curse? And what will it all mean for his relationship with Allison - the girl he can't get enough of? Only time will tell if he should embrace his newfound powers, or if he should fear them.

Yeah, this has absolutely nothing to do with the movie.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...