Francis Manapul To Be Artist On The Flash

Koete

What’s the best way to get over having to come back to work after a long weekend? Well, how about some cool news? I can’t really complain, as I’m sending this while heading south to the Florida Keys. But this news is big enough to interrupt my vacation — and it really should be shared now. Remember how we announced that after the completion of THE FLASH: REBIRTH and BLACKEST NIGHT, writer Geoff Johns would be writing a new ongoing FLASH series? One thing we didn’t mention was the name of his artistic collaborator. Johns will be teaming up with none other than superstar artist Francis Manapul to chronicle the adventures of the Scarlet Speedster next year.

The pair knocked it out of the park with their amazing work on ADVENTURE COMICS, so having Johns and Manapul continue their magic partnership with one of the DCU’s most iconic characters was definitely a no-brainer. They finish up their run on ADVENTURE COMICS with January¹s #6 to get ready for FLASH #1, which kicks off the high-octane and mysterious storyline “The Dastardly Death of the Rogues!” Stay tuned to The Source for news on the new creative team taking the reigns on ADVENTURE and a sneak preview of Francis’s art from FLASH. How’s that for a welcome to the working week?

The Source

Manapul's style has a very young vibe to it, making me think this new Flash comic will star Wally.

Didn't they just reinstate Barry? Or is he Black Flash now? Ugh; too many changes too quickly.

And Manapul does a very cool "retro" style for the older characters, so I think a Barry book would be very very cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few sketches he drew when they were pitching the new Flash series to DC:

theflash.jpg

theflash_2.jpg

flash_3.jpg

I love what he's doing with the lightning / Speed Force in that first image. I know he's not the first to do it, but it looks great nonetheless. (Heh! I just noticed that he incorporated his signature into the speed lines of the first image.)