Star Trek XII (or the new II)

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would introduce a whole hell of a lot of continuity problems. The time travel event in the last movie only affected events taking place after the year 2233, so it wouldn't make sense for Khan to be entirely, completely different from his Ricardo Montalban version.

Also, there's another problem. They'd have to address that Khan is from the Eugenics Wars, which everyone knows at this point didn't happen in the 1990s like they were supposed to.

I think it'd be best to have Cumberbatch be an entirely different character, but still a genetically altered superhuman. So you can have a similar type of villain, but not literally make him Khan himself. Hell, knowing Cumberbatch, there's a chance his villain could be better than Khan.

Hardly unprecended. Wolf 359 comes to mind.

I was thinking that as well, but this implies destruction on Earth. The only comparable events would be the weather disaster in The Voyage Home or the Breen attack in DS9 Season 7. From what's been implied thus far, Into Darkness is like Wolf 359 combined with the Breen attack, doubled over again.

That almost seems to mirror the Zindi attack on Earth from Enterprise.

That final reference that he made to family, combined with the fact that he's leaping around and carrying that massive chain gun, I'm going with a Khan-style superhuman if not Khan himself.

I just don't see why Gary Mitchell would bother with any of that, he's basically a god, and his transformation is brought about by contact with the galactic barrier whilst on board the enterprise. He doesn't have any reason to want to destroy the Federation or take vengence on earth, not like Khan.

Whoever he is, they're playing him up as a huge deal, which is awesome. The first film was Star Trek Begins. This one is the Dark Knight and Cumberbatch is the Joker.

Anyone else think his VO sounds like Picard?

Also the last five seconds just made me think "Sylar wants out of this francise already? For gods sake!". The next film would totally be Search for Sylar.

That final reference that he made to family, combined with the fact that he's leaping around and carrying that massive chain gun, I'm going with a Khan-style superhuman if not Khan himself.

I just don't see why Gary Mitchell would bother with any of that, he's basically a god, and his transformation is brought about by contact with the galactic barrier whilst on board the enterprise. He doesn't have any reason to want to destroy the Federation or take vengence on earth, not like Khan.

This, exactly. He says "your world" and "I have returned to have my vengeance," which doesn't make any sense whatsoever if he's a normal guy from Earth, even one imbued with godlike powers. I'd say this is a Khan-like superhuman. Hell, maybe it's just a different guy from Khan's super-soldier army.