Episode 111

RSS

In this massive episode of Dread Media, Desmond and Darryll check out the highly anticipated anthology film Trick 'r Treat. Then Desmond brings balance to the world by watching a really terrible anthology film: Grave Danger. He then cleanses his palette with Sea Beast. Also, Desmond reviews the comic Incarnate #2 and the trade paperback Young Lovecraft. The winner of the Blind Dead Collection is revealed, and feedback is gone through. All in a race to reach the end of the episode before the plague consumes your intrepid host. He also takes breathers during the following terror tunes: "Trick or Treat" by Fastway, "No More Trick or Treat" by Mad Sin, "Gimme Danger" by Monster Magnet, "Seabeast" by Mastodon, "Young" by Hollywood Undead, and "Phone Home" by Dillinger Escape Plan. [ 1:44:48 || 48.1 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_111.mp3

On the subject of Mexican horror, any and all things Santo are made of awesome, but the Del Toro films Cronos and The Devil's Backbone are also quite good.

Misterios De Ultratumba is probably my favorite. It's from the early 60's I believe. Just a beautifully shot movie.

but the Del Toro films Cronos and The Devil's Backbone are also quite good.

Misterios De Ultratumba is probably my favorite. It's from the early 60's I believe. Just a beautifully shot movie.

Duh. Totally forgot about Del Toro. Devil's Backbone is my second favorite ghost story ever.

I'll check out Misterios de Ultratumba.

I don't know why we didn't touch on this during our Trick 'r' Treat review but I thought it was interesting the number of connections to the X-men franchise this movie contained. Producer Brian Singer directed the first two X-men films. He brought in a few players from those projects for TrT including Anna Paquin and Brian Cox. Director Michael Dougherty wrote X2 and Superman Returns for Singer. A pretty tight nit group. It speaks well of Brian Singer and the loyalty he seems to inspire; especially after the abortion called X3. I haven't seen Superman Returns but it would seem that great technical/artistic skill was applied to a misguided concept of what Superman should be.

Lastly, TrT was shot in Vancouver. All three of the X-men films were shot there. It's funny, I had an inkling of this fact while watching TrT. Something about the houses; the porches, the steps and the doors just called out West Van. It wasn't until I checked the credits later that my hunch was satisfied.

But none of this explains why the film was handled so poorly by the studio. IMDB hints that it may have had something to do with the poor box office receipts for Superman Returns. Does this ring true for anyone? Not for me, really. Why sink the chances for one film because of the performance of another film in a completely different genre, with a fraction of the budget and completely different expectations?

Additionally, rumor has it that Singer is being romanced to possibly return to the X-men franchise. That would be great. Maybe we'll get a decent Wolverine picture out of the deal. Please, please, please send Wolvie to Japan to battle the Hand. I want a hard R bloody Ninja-sploitation flick with real drama and real jeopardy for our hero.

Oh yeah, and a Trick 'r' Treat 2 would be nice, also.