Episode 24

RSS

Though they're only covering one episode this time around, that being "The Web of Fear," Dan and Mike have a lot to talk about: the new logo, leaked photos, what they want to see moving forward, the return of the Yeti and the Great Intelligence, and the debut of Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart. This is one packed show! (Concerning the upcoming series, there are some slight spoilers between 6:40-11:30.) [ 46:37 || 21.4 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_024.mp3

After we finished recording, it dawned on me that we have seen one modern episode that featured nothing but aliens: "The End of the World." (Okay, I guess technically Cassandra's human, but come on!) But that was the second episode of the new series, so it's about time they do another one.

Another great installment.

I love the Web of Fear. The interesting thing for me, which you touch on a bit, is that part of the whole mystery of the story is changed by our knowledge of the later stories. If you try and ignore the fact that the Brigadier (i'll call him that too :D ) becomes a regular, then actually he is the main suspect of the story...all the clues are pointing to him being the traitor...except we know that he can't be.

It was mentioned how the Brig is the first proper military guy we see...most of that is down to the director, Douglas Camfield, who is one of the best directors to work on the classic show, was an ex military guy who was very insistant on making the soldiers look like proper army guys (He also directs UNIT's first story, The Invasion, which is another very military heavy show).

That's true. Because I knew Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart would become Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, I never bought into the whole "he might be the traitor" tension they were building.

It's good to hear that the director comes back and has a hand in the formation of UNIT, because I really want to see the military in Doctor Who start acting like one. All too often, as noted on the show, they seem like guys in costumes. That all changed, though, with the Brig in this episode. Good stuff!

It's good to hear that the director comes back and has a hand in the formation of UNIT, because I really want to see the military in Doctor Who start acting like one. All too often, as noted on the show, they seem like guys in costumes. That all changed, though, with the Brig in this episode. Good stuff!

Douglas Camfield is one of the best, if not the best director that worked on the original show (he did The Crusade, The Time Meddler, Dalek's Masterplan, Web of Fear, The Invasion, Inferno, Terror of the Zygons and the Seeds of Doom...all very good stories).

Under him (and it should be said Derrick Sherwin who was the producer who really created UNIT and came up wiht the idea of confining the Doctor to Earth) UNIT soldiers really acted like soldiers. As UNIT became more integrated into the show, the soldiers shown did become less convincing throughout the Pertwee Era (The charactarisation of the Brig himself, particularly degenerates throughout Pertwee's reign...but you'll see that yourselves :D)