Terminator franchise

The Financial Times is reporting that the rights to the "Terminator" franchise will be auctioned this month. The sale has reportedly sparked considerable interest because "Terminator" is a rare example of a blockbuster franchise not controlled by a big studio.

FT says several financial buyers have expressed interest in Terminator, including Platinum Equity, the Beverly Hills firm that owns Delphi, the auto parts maker.

All the big film studios have also registered interest in the rights, with Sony Pictures a leading contender.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=60547

• 2 months later...
The Los Angeles Times reports that Lionsgate's bid of $15 million in cash plus 5% of gross receipts from any future movies makes the studio the top bidder to buy the "Terminator" franchise rights from the Halcyon Group.

In a federal bankruptcy court filing today, Halcyon Group, the company owned by producers Derek Anderson and Victor Kubicek, named Lionsgate the "stalking horse" bidder for the rights. The duo put the franchise up for sale in September to raise cash to work their way out of Chapter 11 reorganization.

The designation of stalking horse means any other company that wants to bid against Lionsgate has to offer at least $750,000 more. The deadline for competitive bids is February 5th. A new owner of the "Terminator" rights will be determined by the bankruptcy court at a hearing on February 10th.

Sony Pictures and Warner Bros., which distributed Terminator Salvation, were interested in acquiring the rights as well.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62371

I'm mixed on this one, on one hand, $15 million is cheap, on the other hand, how many runs does it have left? Actually, I want to see what you are buying for your money. If you are getting exclusive rights to everything in the Terminator Universe including merchandise, the back catalogue, etc, then it is a bargain. If you are only getting the rights to make future movies only, it's probably fair to expensive. If you don't get anything from the past, but rights to any and everything in the future, including making cartoons, comic books, computer games, movies, TV, etc, then it is definitely a bargain at $15 million.

Bottom line, if it's for future movies only, I'd pass. If it gives you the license to go to town with the brand, then it's a bargain. The other direction a studio could go is with a series of Terminator vs ..... movies.

Does anybody really care about The Terminator franchise anymore?

*Raises hand*

...nobody cared about THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES.

Its fanbase wasn't very big, but the show definitely did have a following.

I don't think it's fair to judge the whole franchise based on Salvation and TSCC. Salvation's only crime was being boring, and TSCC didn't have the budget it needed.

I don't think it's fair to judge the whole franchise based on Salvation and TSCC. Salvation's only crime was being boring, and TSCC didn't have the budget it needed.

I don't. I've seen all the TERMINATOR movies and have the first two in my movie library as I feel they told a satisfying story and there was no need to keep beating the poor dead horse into pulp. Even James Cameron turned down directing T3 as he himself thought the story he wanted to tell was done but he advised Arnold Schwarzenegger to do it for the money. As for THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES, I stuck it out through the first season but it just couldn't keep my interest.

My biggest issue with Terminator: Salvation was that it didn't do anything to advance the story to the point where Reese meets Connor, not does it really play off of Connor knowing Reese is his dad, nor does the future shown resemble the future glimpsed in the previous films. It just didn't feel right to me.

Never could get into TSCC, though.

But I am stoked to see what Zack Whedon will be doing with the new Terminator comic series he has been assigned.

My biggest issue with Terminator: Salvation was that it didn't do anything to advance the story to the point where Reese meets Connor, not does it really play off of Connor knowing Reese is his dad, nor does the future shown resemble the future glimpsed in the previous films. It just didn't feel right to me.

Yeah, exactly. Nothing of importance happened in the movie.

• 4 weeks later...
Deadline Hollywood has learned that the Halcyon Holding Corp. has sold the "Terminator" rights not to Sony Pictures or Lionsgate, but to Santa Barbara-based hedge fund Pacificor for $29.5 million. What's interesting is that Halcyon has previously accused Pacificor of extortion, bribery, and fraud and demanded $30M in damages.

Halcyon will receive $5 million for every "Terminator" movie made from now on, as well as retains the revenue streams from the third and fourth "Terminator" movies. An arrangement also was made that the sale now wipes out the debt Halcyon owed to Pacificor and all the other creditors.

Back on May 9, 2007, rights to the "Terminator" series passed from producers Andy Vajna and Mario Kassar to the privately funded Halcyon for a reported $30 million. It was Pacificor that lent Halcyon the money to conclude the deal.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=63133

What the hell?

UPDATE: Sony Pictures and Lionsgate are now in talks with Pacificor to jointly take control of the property, considering Pacificor has no experience in film production or distribution.