The news thread

Missy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sumo Wrestling was a chapter in the book Freakanomics and the authors found statistical proof that Sumo's actually do throw fights. It's because tournaments are based on a points system, and if a sumo qualifies for the next round with matches still to fight and comes up against someone they train with, in their 'stable', a friend, etc, they lose those matches a larger % of time then if they come up against those sumo's in earlier, points critical matches.

Yeah, I'm a statistics and probability nerd :)

• 2 weeks later...

It'll be just like the great escape. Meaning that the 16 congressmen will be played by respected British actors who all get caught trying to cross the border, but the fictional 17th congressman will be played by an american and he'll escape on a motorbike.

...And now, an all capslock rant of rage. Please feel free to take this personally, Republican-leaners.

THE ONLY ONES NOT TAKING AUSTERITY MEASURES ARE THE POLITICANS, THE POLICE, THE FIREFIGHTERS, AND THE STATE TROOPERS, AKA LAW AND ORDER AND THE ONES WHO GOT HIM IN. THIS IS NOT ABOUT SUSTAINABILITY, DON'T YOU EVEN FUCKING PRETEND IT IS, YOU LYING WHORE, THIS IS ABOUT BREAKING UNIONS AND TRYING TO ELIMINATE DEMOCRATS' MAJOR SOURCES OF POLITICAL DONATIONS!

WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOUR AUSTERITY MEASURES?! MY FATHER GAVE YOU ASSHOLES THIRTY YEARS PLUS OF HIS CAREER AND PLENTY OF DEATH THREATS FROM THE DRUG DEALERS HE FUCKING PROSECUTED AS A STATE PROSECUTOR, AND NOW WITH THESE MEASURES HE WOULD LOSE ALMOST 200 OUT OF HIS PAYCHECK, WHICH IS NOT SUSTAINABLE ON A FAMILY OF SIX, AND HAS TO LOOK FOR ANOTHER JOB, AND POSSIBLY LOSE ALL OF HIS RETIREMENT IF HE DOES!

FUCK YOU, AND FUCK THE FUCKING CORPORATE SLAGS YOU RODE IN ON AND WHO YOU REGULARLY GET ON YOUR KNEES FOR FOR DONATIONS.

Yeah, cuts suck ass. I could tell you 15 ways that they've hurt us in this country without valid cause, and that includes my home life, my university, my friends, my work, my parents jobs, etc. It's bullshit and the severity of cuts is totally ideologically motivated, it's nothing to do with the actual deficit.

Yeah, cuts suck ass. I could tell you 15 ways that they've hurt us in this country without valid cause, and that includes my home life, my university, my friends, my work, my parents jobs, etc. It's bullshit and the severity of cuts is totally ideologically motivated, it's nothing to do with the actual deficit.

I disagree with that last part, for the UK at least. But I don't think anyone's going to actually applaud cuts.

Every nation runs at a deficit, but they could have halved the cuts from what they are and still made an acceptable dent in it. There's no call for an 85% cut to higher education, or 25% cuts to police and the NHS. The higher education thing in particular was ideological. So was the forest sell-off.

‎"Except with respect to sexual orientation, the contractor further agrees to take affirmative action to ensure equal employment opportunities." - p. 18, lines 8-9 of Scott Walker's 'budget repair' bill.

What the flying fuck does sanctioning hiring discrimination against gays/lesbians have to do with the budget?

Every nation runs at a deficit, but they could have halved the cuts from what they are and still made an acceptable dent in it. There's no call for an 85% cut to higher education, or 25% cuts to police and the NHS. The higher education thing in particular was ideological. So was the forest sell-off.

I should clarify that I don't think the targets of the cuts were politically motivated (particularly given that it's a tug of war between two diametrically opposed political parties in government, however badly the Lib Dems are coming out of this), although the severity probably is. It definitely DOES deal with the actual deficit as it means that it will have been more significantly reduced by the end of the Coalition's tenure in government than going for an acceptable dent.

Don't get me wrong - the severity of the cuts is crippling the sector I want to work in and a lot of museums will actually go under because of the priority of cuts. But at the same time, I don't consider it as merely a smokescreen for the Tories to remould Britain/destroy the NHS/remove all forestry/disenfranchise unions etc etc. For one thing, I hope the UK never loses sight of the middle ground and becomes as partisan in politics as the US is. Simply put, Labour left the country with a huge economic problem and the Tories & Lib Dems combined have come up with a damaging solution of addressing the problem.

Okay.

I don't care what your politics are, whether you think unions are lazy freeloading hellspawn, or whether Walker is the devil incarnate. But this is absolutely unacceptable.

The assembly Republicans moved up the vote. Didn't tell the Democrats. Attempted to vote it through. Without one Democrat in the fucking room. Illegally.

Watch it happen here.

Happily, they got there what they thought was early, and were able to get the bill back to an amendable stage. But, honestly? Fucking shame on you, Republicans. Fucking shame. Laws are there for a reason. You are not above them.