The news thread

Missy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had been drinking beforehand (and even posted a picture on Twitter) and he was going 110mph on a very dangerous road in Pennsylvania at like 3:00am. The word "jackass" doesn't really even sum these activities up.

Not to speak ill of the dead, but his claim to fame is putting a Hot Wheels car up his ass.

I don't think we lost a cure for cancer here.

I don't wish ill of the dead, but I'm surprised that the cast of Jackass have survived this long without losing someone. I mean, they don't risk their physical well-being in as sustained a way as professional wrestlers so I wasn't expecting them to have halved, but one of them was always going to suffer a Steve Irwin-esque fate.

Which reminds me...

The outcry from the far right is amazing.

They are killing children as fast as they can, trying to kill God, and trying to kill marriage.

When will people wake up to the fact that this whole thing is not about "equal rights" but rather is an attempt to use the power of the state to force approval of their sick and perverted ways.

Don't be surprised when NY gets blown up again.

Marriage will not make Homosexuals normal ...

The deep scars of a traumatic childhood can only be unwound via a full embrace of The Christ.

All a twisted marriage will do is prolong the fractures of such personalities.

It's actually cruel. No different than giving needles to heroin addicts.

These are random postings from just one popular conservative blog.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I had a guy try to argue to me once that letting gays in the military would ultimately result in the Taliban invading and taking over America. I don't do politics very much on the board but I frankly will never get what the far side of either end of the political spectrum is thinking.

That said, today should be interesting. It's NYC's Gay Pride weekend.

Re: the blow up comment: Among the very far right, NYC being a hotbed of sin/perversion/etc is a generally accepted explanation/justification for the 9/11 attacks.

The very far right tends to use Islamic evilness as the explanation/justification for 9/11; the "NY deserved it" argument is generally just a crazy people thing.

To be fair, the celebrating in the streets wearing nothing but bicycle shorts and body glitter is not helping the gay movement one bit. Or how about when I'm trying to argue with someone that gays are no different than us and I look and see a guy in assless chaps with a purple dido on his head coming down the street in a pride parade. Work with me people!

I'll actually agree with that, Jack. I'm incredibly pro-equal rights, obviously, given my socially liberal sensibilities, but sometimes people take it too fucking far. Tolerance doesn't mean you have to like it, you know? I have piles of gay friends that I love to death, and deserve to marry their partners, I tolerate the dude in body glitter and a g-string. And that's barely. To be fair, I get pissed off when straight people act like total insane whores, too. Sexuality is a wonderful, private thing. I don't give a fuck what you do in the bedroom, as long as I don't have to watch, you know?

This is just a long winded way of saying that extremists on any side of an argument devalue the whole debate. The pride parade can pretty easily be equated as the gay community's sort of "Tea Party" for conservatives. Most of the sane members look at those extreme examples and just attempt to distance themselves.

Discrimination on such a large scale usually leads to radical retaliation.

If gay people did have equal rights across the country, I'm betting there would be a lot less chap glitter parades.

As it stands now, the attitude is "yes, what I do in the bedroom is my business, and until you stop interfering with it, fuck you, here's a dildo on my head".

Discrimination on such a large scale usually leads to radical retaliation.

If gay people did have equal rights across the country, I'm betting there would be a lot less chap glitter parades.

As it stands now, the attitude is "yes, what I do in the bedroom is my business, and until you stop interfering with it, fuck you, here's a dildo on my head".

While that's entirely true, it doesn't make it the right thing to do.

My issue is simple:

"We're totally normal, rational individuals. Give us equal rights, or we'll run around making everyone uncomfortable to show you just how normal and rational we are."

I know that the gay rights movement has legs, and deserves what they're going for, but rubber dicks rarely score points with middle America.

I hate this country sometimes.

TSA Pats Down Cancer-Stricken 95-Year-Old Woman, Removes Adult Diaper

TSA security officers at Florida's Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport patted down a cancer-stricken, 95-year-old woman and forcibly removed her adult diaper during the search, CNN reports. Could this end up being yet another TSA PR nightmare?

Jean Weber was traveling with her ill mother on June 18 from Florida to Michigan to see relatives "in the final stages of her battle with leukemia" when the incident occurred.

Weber told CNN that while she thinks the officers may have been "procedurally correct...the procedure needs to be changed." Weber noted that her mother had had a blood transfusion the week before.

While passing through security, TSA officials "felt something suspicious and they couldn't determine what it was," so they took Weber's mother to a private room.

A TSA agent told Weber that her mother's Depends underwear was "wet and firm and they couldn't check it thoroughly," so the mother-daughter duo left in search of a bathroom to remove the underwear. Weber did not have an extra pair of Depends with her.

Weber "burst into tears" but her mother was "very calm" even though she was forced to go through the airport without underwear. Her elderly mother was taken to the boarding gate without her as Weber was still going through security.

In response to the incident, the TSA said on Sunday that "While every person and item must be screened before entering the secure boarding area, TSA works with passengers to resolve security alarms in a respectful and sensitive manner. We have reviewed the circumstances involving this screening and determined that our officers acted professionally and according to proper procedure."

This isn't the first time the TSA has gotten into hot water over pat down procedures. In April, a video of a 6-year-old getting a pat down at the New Orleans airport went viral, while in May, a video of a baby getting a pat down caused quite a stir.

Last week, the TSA announced they would change the procedures for patting down children

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/06/26/tsa-pats-down-elderly-woman-removes-adult-diaper-video/

Texas tried to pass a law making it illegal for TSA workers to pat people down "inappropriately" (basically, anything that could be considered "groping," even through clothing), but the TSA sent the Texas senate a letter threatening to ground all flights out of Texas. They're still debating over whether or not to go through with it. The TX senate says that TSA patdowns are unconstitutional because of privacy laws, while the TSA says that a law prohibiting those types of searches is unconstitutional because of national security concerns.

I say they go for it and pass the law. Play chicken with the TSA.