The news thread

Missy

Texas tried to pass a law making it illegal for TSA workers to pat people down "inappropriately" (basically, anything that could be considered "groping," even through clothing), but the TSA sent the Texas senate a letter threatening to ground all flights out of Texas. They're still debating over whether or not to go through with it. The TX senate says that TSA patdowns are unconstitutional because of privacy laws, while the TSA says that a law prohibiting those types of searches is unconstitutional because of national security concerns.

I say they go for it and pass the law. Play chicken with the TSA.

It doesn't seem like they'll win that fight, but hey, you never know.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as someone who lives in a pretty far right state, I'll say that no one here likes the TSA and their procedures anyway. (obviously; we're trying to outlaw them)

High-ranking politicians (presidents) on both sides tend to throw civil liberties out the window when they feel that national security is at stake.

Google has finally launched its long-awaited social network, the Google+ project.

The Google+ network is designed around users' social circles (called +Circles) and lets users selectively share with specific groups within their personal network, rather than sharing with all their social connections at once.

The search giant emphasizes Google+'s privacy customizations and hopes that users will choose to use the new service over more established networks like Facebook and Twitter.

"In real life, we have walls and windows and I can speak to you knowing who's in the room, but in the online world, you get to a ‘Share' box and you share with the whole world," Bradley Horowitz, a VP of product management at Google, told the New York Times. By granting the user more control over what is shared, how and with whom, Google+ attempts to make the online sharing experience more secure and more personal.

In addition to +Circles, Google's network will also let users add interests, video chat in groups, share content via mobile and many more features that should be familiar to social network users.

The search giant will integrate its new network directly into its massive web presence to allow users to socialize as they use various Google proucts. Mashable explains how Google will accomplish this:

The search giant's new social project will be omnipresent on every Google product, thanks to a complete redesign of the Google navigation bar. The familiar gray bar at the top of every Google page will turn black, and come with several new options for accessing your Google+ profile, viewing notifications and instantly sharing content at any time. The notification system is similar to how Facebook handles notifications, complete with a red number that increases with each additional notice.

Google is completing its field trial of the network, which is currently open only to a select few. However, you can visit Google+ to sign up, and Google will send you a notification when the service is ready. You can also explore the social network's landing page and to see what new features are in store.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/28/google-social-network_n_886185.html#s299885

I give Facebook a month before they steal the circle privacy idea.

True, they will steal it, it's already there with photo's, so the share/like thing should be a no brainer. I don't think of Google as a social network though and never will. They should brand all of this under 'online experience' or something like that. Things that make your browsing easier, quicker, more fun. It's why they should buy Twitter.

This has to be one of the most evil things I've heard of a newspaper doing, and hopefully it's going to have massive and negative repercussions for News International.

Basically, not only were they hacking celebrities and politicians including our own Deputy Prime Minister whilst he was in office, they also hacked into the phone of missing children and teenagers or the phones of their families, several girls who subsequently turned up dead. In one case they deleted the voicemails before anyone else including the police could examine them and as a result the parents thought their daughter was alive because her phone was being accessed.

Now the police are visiting the parents of an even more well known case in relation to phone hacking activities.

Phone-hacking saga 'changes character'

Phone-hacking police meet murdered Soham girls' parents

Fuck News of the World, fuck News International, fuck Rebekah Brooks for refusing to resign even though she was editor at the time and fuck Murdoch if he doesn't force her to. They're ultimately responsible for some utterly monstrous behaviour.

Fuck News of the World, fuck News International, fuck Rebekah Brooks for refusing to resign even though she was editor at the time and fuck Murdoch if he doesn't force her to. They're ultimately responsible for some utterly monstrous behaviour.

That was the only part of what you said that mentioned NOTW outright, so, enjoy:

This Sunday's issue of the News of the World will be the last edition of the paper, News International chairman James Murdoch has said.

In the past few days, claims have been made that the paper authorised hacking into the mobile phones of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler and the families of 7/7 bombing victims.

Mr Murdoch said proceeds from the last edition would go to good causes.

Downing Street said it had no role or involvement in the decision.

In a statement made to staff, Mr Murdoch said the good things the News of the World does "have been sullied by behaviour that was wrong - indeed, if recent allegations are true, it was inhuman and has no place in our company".

"The News of the World is in the business of holding others to account. But it failed when it came to itself."

He went on: "In 2006, the police focused their investigations on two men. Both went to jail. But the News of the World and News International failed to get to the bottom of repeated wrongdoing that occurred without conscience or legitimate purpose.

"Wrongdoers turned a good newsroom bad and this was not fully understood or adequately pursued.

"As a result, the News of the World and News International wrongly maintained that these issues were confined to one reporter.

"We now have voluntarily given evidence to the police that I believe will prove that this was untrue and those who acted wrongly will have to face the consequences. This was not the only fault.

"The paper made statements to Parliament without being in the full possession of the facts. This was wrong.

"The company paid out-of-court settlements approved by me. I now know that I did not have a complete picture when I did so. This was wrong and is a matter of serious regret."

He reiterated that the company was fully co-operating with the two ongoing police investigations.

Labour MP Tom Watson told Sky News it was "a victory for decent people up and down the land, and I say good riddance to the News of the World".

Source

Complete scum, they'll sacrifice an entire staff of potential innocents (who will be "invited to apply for other jobs") but they won't do the honourable thing themselves. I'll keep following this and tweeting about it until Brooks is forced out.

When I reposted this on my Facebook, someone wrote:

There is allready a rumor they are going to release a New paper for Sunday soon so this is all BS trying to white wash their guilt

Absolutely, the News of the World is Britain's best selling Sunday paper (2.7 million circulation), and the Sunday equivalent of The Sun (3.1 circulation). All they'll do is release a new paper called the Sun on Sunday and try to get away with it. The domain name is already registered. It's just rebranding.

When I reposted this on my Facebook, someone wrote:

There is allready a rumor they are going to release a New paper for Sunday soon so this is all BS trying to white wash their guilt

Absolutely, the News of the World is Britain's best selling Sunday paper (2.7 million circulation), and the Sunday equivalent of The Sun (3.1 circulation). All they'll do is release a new paper called the Sun on Sunday and try to get away with it. The domain name is already registered. It's just rebranding.

Yeah, the story only broke about two hours ago, and already people are talking about "The Sunday Sun"

It is somewhat major that the News of the World is being sacrificed for this scandal, although News Corp can easily make it a smokescreen for the controversy and reintroduce a Sunday paper under another day. And as Tom said, the current staff are being punished for misdeeds from 10 years ago. And whilst it's hard to feel genuine sympathy for any journalist working for the News of the World, it is bullshit that they're facing unemployment so that Murdoch can protect his repellant protege.

The best thing we can do is stop the story fading from public consciousness so that News Corp don't get away with this.

The best thing we can do is stop the story fading from public consciousness so that News Corp don't get away with this.

Honestly, after a week, it won't be a big news story anymore. Murdoch will just be last weeks news. That is, unless this gives Tommy Sheridan a chance at a mistrial (Or retrial, one of the two.)