The news thread

Missy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously think that Sarah Palin is more important to the far Left as a punching bag than she is to the people on the Right as anything.

I think that's true. There are far fewer people on the right who want her to make a white house run than is commonly believed. The left wants her to be a mascot for everthing they hate about conservatives.

Between her, Bachmann, and the more vocal of the right's existing presidential candidates, especially in how much they rely on the media, I'm not really sure why anyone is surprised by this fact. The ones who speak the loudest are the ones who get noticed, and when they're as... Interesting as aforementioned candidates, yeah, they're gonna become punching bags.

• 2 weeks later...

Tax Cut Memories

Tax Cut Memories

Obama, at his press conference last December, announcing his surrender to the GOP on tax cuts; the questioner was Marc Ambinder:

Q Mr. President, thank you. How do these negotiations affect negotiations or talks with Republicans about raising the debt limit? Because it would seem that they have a significant amount of leverage over the White House now, going in. Was there ever any attempt by the White House to include raising the debt limit as a part of this package?

THE PRESIDENT: When you say it would seem they’ll have a significant amount of leverage over the White House, what do you mean?

Q Just in the sense that they’ll say essentially we’re not going to raise the — we’re not going to agree to it unless the White House is able to or willing to agree to significant spending cuts across the board that probably go deeper and further than what you’re willing to do. I mean, what leverage would you have –

THE PRESIDENT: Look, here’s my expectation — and I’ll take John Boehner at his word — that nobody, Democrat or Republican, is willing to see the full faith and credit of the United States government collapse, that that would not be a good thing to happen. And so I think that there will be significant discussions about the debt limit vote. That’s something that nobody ever likes to vote on. But once John Boehner is sworn in as Speaker, then he’s going to have responsibilities to govern. You can’t just stand on the sidelines and be a bomb thrower.

And so my expectation is, is that we will have tough negotiations around the budget, but that ultimately we can arrive at a position that is keeping the government open, keeping Social Security checks going out, keeping veterans services being provided, but at the same time is prudent when it comes to taxpayer dollars.

Linked to the news of the debt ceiling announcement.

Phew! Now that that one's out of the way, you think maybe they'll work their way up to Wall Street and the Federal Reserve? Only, what, forty years of backlog to get up to today?

It's interesting, but it's a waste of resources. I'd like to see a breakdown of the money he got away with put up against the money they spent finding this criminal who never actually hurt anybody. Just a thought.

He got away with it once, so he still poses a threat until they know for sure. It doesn't matter how long ago he did it, what he did is now called terrorism.

It's called piracy actually. But if you think a guy at least in his seventies still poses a threat, then lets pull out all the stops. That SEAL team that killed Osama isn't doing anything right? Or maybe they're searching for Amelia Earheart...

Firstly shout out to everyone in London and surrounds hope your mailboxes are still functional.

Second. Where are the extreme right calling for Facebook and twitter to be banned for causing violence? Talk about selective parenting/campaigning! 

Define "far right".

The riots have actually spread beyond London, although you wouldn't know it from the news coverage. Thankfully I live too far North to be directly affected, but it's a tad worrying all the same.

To answer the question about perceived calls for censorship, I think social media is too entrenched at this point to be realistically shut down. Sure there'll be the odd loony blaming the platform for the rioting, but most are either pointing the finger at mob mentality or the Establishment.