The news thread

Missy

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great for them!

Also, I've long thought Prince Charles will step aside so William can be crowned King, and I think this will make that happen. A young King and Queen with a child of their own, or an old man with his mistress as his wife? England will want the former, I think.

Great for them!

Also, I've long thought Prince Charles will step aside so William can be crowned King, and I think this will make that happen. A young King and Queen with a child of their own, or an old man with his mistress as his wife? England will want the former, I think.

This. I've noticed that talent seems to skip a generation in the British royal family.

I don't think he'll step aside just because he's been preparing for it for his entire life, and even a short transitional reign would be beneficial just as a buffer. He'd be the Iron Shiek to their Bob Backlund/Hulk Hogan. If nothing else he probably sees it as a burden that he wouldn't want passed to his son and their young family too early.

Much depends on whether the queen's health fails her and she steps aside due to inability to fulfil her public duties. Or she could go until her death, which if her mother is any standard could still be 15-20 years away. Or the death of Prince Phillip could affect her profoundly. It's all up in the air, but I still somehow thing we'll get a few years of Charles in there.

• 2 weeks later...

The guy is dead. I looked at his Facebook page. Honestly, he looked like your average college student. I can't imagine what can set a person off like this to drive that far to murder their mom and a bunch of kids.

edit: Just read his Twitter. He was pretty messed up emotionally. Expect people to try and link Call of Duty with this.

The twitter account wasn't him. The guy came out and said they were jokes. Here is my favorite tweet about it.

So @Ryan_Lanza isn't the right Ryan Lanza? Well how about we use this as an opportunity to get THAT dude some help.

Interesting thing is the Facebook account that I saw has him living in the same place, and has friends in the town where the shooting is. Someone on that account keeps saying it wasn't him. Now his brother has been arrested. Either that guy has the worst coincidence ever, or someone is trying to cover it up.

Edit: It turns out the media has been giving out the wrong name the whole time. Ryan is the brother, and he's alive. His brother was the shooter. Wow.

The best conversation I've seen so far on this was this exchange between Murdoch and a politician here in Oz

@RupertMurdoch : Terrible news today. When will politicians find courage to ban automatic weapons? As in Oz after similar tragedy.

‏@TurnbullMalcolm : @rupertmurdoch I suspect they will find the courage when Fox News enthusiastically campaigns for it.

Yeah, because American politicians really give a shit what Fox News thinks about anything. Also, message to Rupert: there was no fully automatic weapon involved in the Connecticut massacre. At least get your facts straight bef.........oh, wait, this guy created Fox News. Never mind.

^That's about right, yeah.

Also, re: semi-automatic vs. full auto:

If we're talking about semi-automatics, then technically almost every gun you'd buy from a store aside from a shotgun or hunting rifle is semi-automatic. If you're at really close range like in a classroom, all you have to do is put an extended magazine into a glock and you have basically the same level of lethality as a semi-auto rifle.

I would like to share my thoughts on the subject for what it's worth.

It's sad that apparently it sometimes takes the murder of innocent people to actually acknowledge just how awful human nature can be. History shows that there have been horrible people throughout the world, and they are always the ones who end up getting the attention. It's not as interesting to show the nice man who held the door at the bank for an elderly woman than it is to show the man who robbed that bank and killed the teller.

But, as it should be, bad sadly isn't, apparent to all, strife, chaos, and injustice is the norm. Not goodness, kindness, and charity. We like to think of Hitler, Stalin, and Mao, who killed 100 million people between them, and think that most of us are not like that. But we forget that they had tens of millions of people who willingly, even eagerly followed them. Many of them supported, and even encouraged it.

Humanity is not by its nature good. People, guided by ethics and morals, can be indeed very kind, and accomplish great things. We can end suffering. We can free millions from the oppression of dictators. We can even end the slavery of millions. But that is not the norm.

Therefore, we must not remember the names of killers, but rather damn them. We must remember those who suffered the injustices or tragedies such as what happened on Friday. We must also raise people who do good, who follow the better angels of their nature to higher level, and give them the recognition they deserve.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20914799

The Church of England has changed its rules to allow gay Bishops! Yay!

On the condition that they become celibate. Sigh. So fucking close. Firstly, that's just fucking weird. You're letting them be senior priests without allowing them to express a part of themselves that you're supposedly fine with being there because you're letting them get that high up. Secondly, INSTITUTIONAL CELIBACY IS A BAD IDEA. Have we learnt nothing from the Catholics, it's arcane to bring this shit in now.

Seriously, this is like if they allowed Women Bishops and then said they couldn't marry and had to live like nuns. Utterly pathetic.