The news thread

Missy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stavros, honey, I hate to tell you this but you've been amassing power at the generic, knock-off Vaytican, not the Vatican. It's a common mistake, like the mother who buys her son a copy of Transmorphers. I would have hoped you'd notice when you saw Sunday Service was at the church back-alley and you took communion with Wonder Bread and Off-brand Whiskey. Most you can hope for is becoming Pfope (the F is silent).

Stavros, honey, I hate to tell you this but you've been amassing power at the generic, knock-off Vaytican, not the Vatican. It's a common mistake, like the mother who buys her son a copy of Transmorphers. I would have hoped you'd notice when you saw Sunday Service was at the church back-alley and you took communion with Wonder Bread and Off-brand Whiskey. Most you can hope for is becoming Pfope (the F is silent).

So my car only has plastic screens instead of bullet-proof glass? That bank job was apparently far more hazardous than I was aware!

I gotta say, it's so refreshing to have some of the rancid underbelly of our conservative party exposed with the recent passing of gay marriage in this country. That's not to say all of them, even David Cameron surprised me by being openly positively for it, but the majority of the party voted against and really struggled to find reasons that didn't make them sound bigoted. Here's a short list of the excuses I've heard-

You'd have to redefine penetration to fulfil the criteria of consummation, and that's difficult so we shouldn't bother.

How about we ignore consummation and assume different criteria for a marriage being serious and thus non-annullable ie length of marriage, shared property or children.

We should be concentrating on the economy instead.

If every government waited to solve human rights issues until the economy was fixed women still wouldn't have the vote.

"It creates a hierarchy of rights where your rights are more important than mine"

Your right to impose your beliefs on others taking precedence over their ability to make personal choices IS a hierarchy of rights. Allowing individuals to choose for themselves does not affect you in any way other than emotionally.

Rather than widen marriage, the government should concentrate on expanding civil unions to include non-romantic relationships IE siblings or friends.

This is the opposite of what was on the table. This is insulting gay couples further by demoting what they're granted to something so generic it's meaningless in any sense but legal.

"Since same-sex partners could not biologically procreate children, the institution of marriage was one that, in my opinion, should be reserved to opposite-sex partners."

So anyone not intending to have children biologically can't get married then? No-one should adopt or use surrogates or live without kids?

Shouldn't gay people be seeking to move further from the conformity they claim is so contrary to their way of life?

So gay people shouldn't seek to be normalised in society? They should crave ostricisation? They should self-deny the right to be seen as a couple the same as any other?

I mean, this was just the tip of the iceberg, but god damn it I can't believe the shit these people have been saying. And that's all without touching the bible, which believe me has come into play but I'm not going to dignify anyone reading out Leviticus unless they can prove they've never eaten a bacon sandwich and have never worn polyester and cotton in the same outfit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was listening to local sports radio when they started to discuss an article about an active NFL player coming out as gay.

Now, I couldn't care less about the gay part. It should be such a non-issue at this point, but the sports world will implode upon itself when this happens. It will dominate headlines for a while and this player will face a whirlwind of hatred and/or praise. But I had a random thought that I had never considered before: Why has this not happened yet?

With the growing tend of wanting to become famous it just strikes me as odd that someone hasn't taken this platform to become famous. Yes, there would be drawbacks, but being the 1st openly gay athlete in one of the major American sports would make you someone immortal. Jackie Robinson is still remembered as the man who broke the color line. However, I don't think most people could tell you how good of a player he was. So it strikes me as odd that some 5th string WR or backup free safety (that just happen to be gay) hasn't come out to become this public figure.

Then again, I also wonder if in this A.D.D./24hr news culture if someone could achieve a legacy similar to Jackie Robinson and my entire thought process is void.

Same reason it took so long for Don't Ask, Don't Tell repealed: idiots think all gay men care about straight men's junk. Locker room politics. That said, another factor outside of gay guys stereotypically staying away from most organized sports would be that football plays mostly to middle America, the same people who are least comfortable about gay marriage. Really, for it to work, they need to have the player come out at the end of the season and the team has to be almost a given to win the Super Bowl. Otherwise, commentators are going to start fanning the flames of, "The Team was too distracted by ________ coming out of the closet."

• 2 weeks later...