Random video game thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally caught up on all of the press conferences. My take on everything.
Spoilers for length.

Bethesda
They had enough on deck to actually have their own conference, which is huge.
Doom looks like it could go either way. The enemy design doesn't look particularly inspired and I was already tired of melee kills before the demo was over. It feels like it needs a hook outside of "it's more Doom". The things that made that game what it is are so anachronistic now that they can't really be relied on.
Dishonored 2 just served to remind me that I never played the first one. I'm still waiting for the day when I suddenly feel the need to.
Obviously Fallout 4 is the big one. I get extreme sandbox anxiety just watching the presentation. I started probably a dozen games of Fallout 3 that never went more than a few hours because I felt pulled in so many directions. It's an issue I can forgive with the Elder Scrolls because I have an investment in that world and the lore (even though ESO does nothing for me). It will likely be a fantastic game that I never play.
Microsoft
Everything they do lately feels like a reaction to the constant backlash and this conference in particular felt like a response to the very non-game focused presentations they've done in years past. They've got games. More importantly, they've got games coming out this year.
The Backward Compatibility thing is great for press, but I fear will end up about as meaningful as it was on the 360, which is to say not at all. Publisher approval could kneecap a lot of it. We'll see.
I never cared about Halo but the fall release is a major get for them. I do wonder how much weight the name is starting to lose as we slowly transition out of the FPS era of dominance. They are at an advantage by not being nearly as overexposed as Call of Duty.
Recore looks like it'll either be amazing or a complete bust. It's Microsoft's Knack.
Forza is Forza. I was hoping we'd get an announcement of Horizon 2 on PC but that could still be coming.
I really really fear that Dark Souls is going to get milked into the ground. I've been on a Souls kick lately but I have a large back catalog and many many hours of catching up to do. They say this will be the last of the trilogy, but that really says nothing of the franchise as a whole. Don't Assassin's Creed Dark Souls, please.
Sea of Thieves could be good but it's boats and water, so I'm out.
Cuphead is everything I want out of video games. Overwhelming creativity applied to familiar concepts. Best looking game of the show, easily.
Rare Replay is the rare ( <_< ) case of a re-release that I can get behind, mostly for the value proposition and sheer range of stuff that's included. The package is worth it for Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, Blast Corps, and Viva Pinata alone.
Kinect is fucking dead. Dead dead dead dead dead. It wasn't mentioned a single time. They look to be going all in on VR. Maybe too much. They have HoloLens AND a partnership with Valve VR AND a partnership with Oculus. The HoloLens demo was impressive but they still need to present a valuable use-case for the thing.
EA
As someone that doesn't care about sports or Star Wars, this was painful. Just a poorly paced snorefest for most of it.
Unravel was the best thing shown. Indie platformers are a dime a dozen but the creator was so goddamn nervous and sincere in his enthusiasm for the project that you can't help but root for him.
Need for Speed adding cheesy FMV is the right move, even if they don't actually realize that it's cheesy.
NBA Live and NHL - "Hey, the game might not be complete shit this year! No promises."
Madden - "This year we've fixed passing! Again!"
I may or may not be ready to love again with Mass Effect. The experience of that last game left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't know if I want to bother investing in that world once more. I don't trust EA not to meddle again.
I love that Mirror's Edge is getting made even if I'll probably never play it.
Ubisoft
The only major thing I was hoping for was some sort of announcement or expansion for Rocksmith. Without that, I was left relatively unmoved.
For Honor could be interesting if the combat is an nuanced as they're implying.
There's a certain meta-game aspect to The Division that could attract me to a genre I'm generally tired of. The griefing potential is high.
Trackmania is useless on consoles. That game is about all of the weird stupid modding and servers full of horrible pop music. The racing aspect is completely incidental. Maybe they can add towers for you to race up.
The popularity of Just Dance baffles me.
Assassin's Creed - You could not pay me to play this game at this point. I'm beyond done with this series. They couldn't even bother to show off one second of gameplay for a game that's out in October. A ten minute story trailer is useless in a series that you've already established doesn't care at all about storytelling.
Sony
Continuing the tradition of press conferences from whoever is currently in the lead, they really felt lacking. Zero first party games coming out this year. Nothing to disprove the belief that the Vita's dead in the water. No Morpheus.
The Last Guardian demo was a very carefully put together vertical slice and I'd bet the section that we saw never ends up in the finished game. They just needed to show something. This was the now or never year. Rumor has it that Sony has thrown a bunch of people at this to finally get it out the door. That's never a good sign. I want it. I don't know if it's even possible at this point for it to be good, but I still want it.
Horizon: Zero Dawn could be good. Looks early.
Firewatch - I still don't know what Firewatch is.
Shenmue... I'm probably the biggest Sega kid in the world but... Shenmue wasn't really that good. Whether or not I want it really isn't the important part though. The Kickstarter showed a tremendous amount of interest and I guarentee Sony was simply using it as a barometer before jumping in to co-publish. Maybe this will invite them to take some more risks in the future on this kind of thing. Who knows. I don't know what that game could possibly be in this day and age.
Uncharted has overstayed its welcome, I think. Those games really run together in my head now and this just looked like more of the same.
Nintendo
With Mario Maker, there are now officially 3 Wii U games I want, so that's something.
I like the idea of Platinum helping with Star Fox but I'm hearing a lot of accounts from people playing on the floor that are worrying.
The Amiibo/Skylanders thing was just so weird. Brand confusion, dude.
Square Enix
They had some diversity, I'll give them that.
Just Cause 3 is continuing the rich narrative of the Just Cause series. This is basically just "Blow Shit Up: The Game" which is fine because they're being self aware about it. You can tie three helicopters together and blow them up with your unlimited grenade supply. Nuff said.
Nier 2 is an incredible announcement because I never ever thought of even hoping for it to happen. My brain has been in pure fan fiction mode ever since. My moment of the show. Seriously. Please don't end up in development hell.
They have some good faith to rebuild with Tomb Raider. I don't want another Uncharted rip off. Put me in tombs. Allow me to raid them. Have me stare at the screen until I realize that there's been a switch behind that waterfall this whole time. Make goddamn Tomb Raider.
I want to like Hitman so much but they've never hit with me structurally. I got the Eidos collection on Steam so I now have the whole series if I ever care to revisit. The generated content could be a good hook.
Deus Ex - Mechanical Apartheid is a really poor naming choice. That's all I have to say currently.
I want to like Kingdom Hearts but that series is fucking impenetrable.
The FFVII remake is actually really fascinating and not because I have any desire to play it. They are in such a tough spot and there are so many questions going into this. FFVII is not a short game. That is a lot of assets that need to be generated from scratch. What do they change? Do they clean up the story? Do they overhaul a stereotype like Barrett? Do they actually plan to keep in sequences of snowboarding and Cloud as a cross-dressing ninja? Then of course is the giant Aeris question of whether or not they want to appease a very passionate fanbase by changing her fate in any way. One thing is for sure, this game is very early in development and is far far off. Like, three or four years off. The reason they kept shutting this down in the past is due to the significant time and money investment. They essentially have to make a new game, and we know how long that takes them.

• 3 weeks later...
A huge loss and he was still fairly young.
He was on the team that created Kirby and was pretty much responsible for Nintendo's biggest successes of the past decade or so. The Wii was essentially his idea.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...