Batman Under the Red Hood

grahamvidger

Guest dstroketheterminator

Damn you. Now I'm wishing they adapt Knightfall next... One can dream.

They did Doomsday, so there is a chance that will happen down the line.

That's what worries me, like they did with Doomsday, to fit a huge arch into a 90 minute movie they have to change to much. Now that I think about it, Doomsday was basically a Superman Knightfall. The Doomsday Fight=Bane,Clone Superman=Azbats,Superman vs Clone=Bruce=Jean Paul... I really hope if they do it, they don't ruin it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

Hmmm the who do you work for line in the trailer sounded like Conroy... even though I know it's not. I can get over this Batman voice more then Sisto's version :D

• 2 months later...

Saw it. Thought it was very good.

Some weird stuff, though:

Nightwing is apparently more of a jokey character, and The Joker is slightly more "human" than he was in BTAS. Hmmm...

Also, Amazo is in it for a few minutes. Yeah, AMAZO. The ANDROID. Weird. Then there's some weird stuff with some sci-fi ninja mercenaries.

Overally, though, pretty great. Nothing mind-blowing, but definitely worth a watch or three.

Very good indeed. I REALLY liked this film's Joker (was laughing along with him several times), and NPH was great as Nightwing. Mind you, I had no real problems with any of the cast or portrayals aside from Black Mask, and I don't really know what I expected with him. Overall its a bit of a bizarre mix between all the different stylistic elements that make up the Batman mythos, but it works.

Plus now that I've played Arkham Asylum when that place is mentioned its just so much more threatening, especially in conjunction with Joker.

Saw it. Thought it was very good.

Some weird stuff, though:

Nightwing is apparently more of a jokey character, and The Joker is slightly more "human" than he was in BTAS. Hmmm...

Also, Amazo is in it for a few minutes. Yeah, AMAZO. The ANDROID. Weird. Then there's some weird stuff with some sci-fi ninja mercenaries.

Overally, though, pretty great. Nothing mind-blowing, but definitely worth a watch or three.

Amazo was in the comic, and Sci-Fi ninjas seemed to be replacing the Infinite Crisis Tie-in where Deathstroke gave Black Mask some supervillian helpers. One of which was Captain Nazi.

I'll post more thoughts later, but right now, I'll just say it's not bad, and the main cast, is great.

Right, fuller thoughts:

Good, I like the explanation of how Jason comes back to life in this. The cemetery bit was shit, it was a major point in the book, and did nothing here.

Having Ra's in it, sounded stupid, cause he did nothing in the comic I think, bar the annual, but using him here, it actually made a death in the family make sense.

Joker being in the Heath Ledger mould, an agent of chaos was good. He took some getting used to for me, cause he sounded like a mix of Marcus from GOW and Bender from Futurama, which DiMaggio also plays.

Red Hood was good, I wished they'd gone into his back story a little bit, like how they did in the comic, the comic just had a scene of him training, and looking at Batman clippings, that was all that was needed.

Black Mask was pointless in here, he was a bad ass, but I actually preferred the Black Mask from The Batman cartoons voice. When he started beating up his own people I enjoyed that.

The pointless scene with the turncoat guards looked good, I was hoping the guard who wanted to go in the cells was Black Mask in disguise, they even say "I thought you quit?" or something similar, but he was a nobody and the scene was pointless.

The best thing was the Joker, his look and attitude. In my opinion, this is the Joker the Batman cartoon. Dark and sinister, he would have been the perfect opponent for Batman in that show.

Batman here wasn't bad, but he wasn't memorable either.

All in all, an ok film, but not something I'd go out of my way to see again, which is becoming a trend for me with the DCU films.

Also, Delete is right:

My review: The book is better

The book was better, but the changes from the book made sense, as that was an infinite crisis tie in of sorts, and this has to stand on it's own.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TFG1Mike

I just rented this through iTunes. I was pleasantly surprised. Watching the entire film through and not just seeing clips I really like Bruce Greenwood as Batman and Bruce Wayne. Granted he's no Kevin Conroy, but he fits this mold very well. So far Greenwood is my #1 animated Batman in the DCU Films (not counting Conroy, obviously) He brings a subtle change to the Bruce Voice and a almost similiar Bale Batman Voice, but much less gravely. I've never read the comic so I can't make any comparisons, however I do think that this one was executed very well. I agree with Suave in that DiMaggio voicing the Joker he takes many inflections from Ledger. I'll also say that I like how they combine a lot of Batman's rogues gallery even if they are mentioned just by name. The Red Hood reveal was very cool I thought. Although when he takes the mask off I kept seeing Vader removing his helmet.

This is by far one of the better DCU Films in my opinion and I'll be getting the DVD eventually.

I liked it. The ending was so sad (not like I wasn't expecting it to be but,) my eyes got all watery.

I thought Joker said a few too many lines at the stand off between Jason and Bats, but it was real cool overall. Nightwing was so awesome. You could totally tell he was in the circus from the way he jumped around. I was crushing on him for a few minutes there. And I liked that neat throwaway line Jason said that hinted at what Joker did to Barbera. Good stuff.

Oh! And the Jonah Hex short was pretty badass. Very western, good music.

Laughed at how he just left that woman in that pit/hole. Because I was thinking he totally should. Completely deserved it.

Okay. Issue.

At the end, Joker is in closet. Bats and Jay crash through the wall. Bats calls Hood "Jason." Hood calls Bats "Bruce." Seconds later, Jay kicks the door down, and there's Joker. Joker couldn't hear that exchange through a rotted wood door?

Mike:

I generally hold to the thought process of 'Joker knows, but ignores," too, but he catches enough of the conversation to get that Hood was the Robin he killed. They can't have it both ways.

And Jason thinking that he would be dead is fine, but he genuinely cares for Bruce (As evidenced when he saves Bruce from the eyeblasting ninja). On the chance that Jason died and Joker didn't, could he with give Bruce over to a man who would destroy his life?

Actually, I think they can.

Just 'cause The Joker knows now doesn't mean he'll know down the line. To him, Batman is Batman. There is no mask. Knowing that an actual man exists underneath the cowl could force his fractured mind to repress it. It's sort of the same thing with his multiple choice origins; he only knows what he wants to know, because he can't handle the truth.

The problem with saying that Joker knows Batman's identity but ignores it is that it really doesn't make a lot of sense. In stories like The Killing Joke and Return of the Joker, he's very specifically targeted the heroes personally (Gordon and his daughter; Bruce and Tim).

The Killing Joke in particular illustrated that Joker wants to target people on a personal level; I can't see him ignoring such a powerful psychological weapon.