Episode 68

RSS

I totally didn't pick up on the whole alien Carter having to avoid sunlight for two years. You guys are great at picking up that kinda stuff. I love Justice League but I personally can't stand John Stewart in this series. He has this holier-than-thou attitude which makes Batman look tame in comparison.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Mortimer. Instead of making him one of the aliens, what they should have done was made it so that the real Carter did return to Earth, but he had been brainwashed by the aliens.

Not to show my hand, but I hate "In Blackest Night," the upcoming two-part GL story. I get what they were trying to do, that being make John look like a cool, hard-nosed character for people who didn't know him, but he comes off like an asshole and the story suffers greatly.

On Batman looking like a linebacker, he's got nothing on John. He gets increasingly more ridiculous shoulders as the series progresses.

As far as an anime working as live action, Battle Royale worked perfectly.

Also, I may be alone on this, but I hate George Newbern's Superman. He sounds like a strung out teenager half the time. Tim Daly's voice had a lot more authority behind it.

Also, I may be alone on this, but I hate George Newbern's Superman. He sounds like a strung out teenager half the time. Tim Daly's voice had a lot more authority behind it.

That reminds me, about one minute after we finished recording James exclaimed, "Shit! We didn't mention all the new voice actors."

So expect us to do so next time.

I actually prefer Newbern to Daly for exactly the reason Dubs hates it (surprise!). Newbern sounds enough like Daly that it's not jarring, but there's something a little more undeniably 'Boyscout' about Newbern's Superman, which is really great when he's up against Jerry O'Connell's Captain Marvel in 'Clash,' especially.

Not to show my hand, but I hate "In Blackest Night," the upcoming two-part GL story. I get what they were trying to do, that being make John look like a cool, hard-nosed character for people who didn't know him, but he comes off like an asshole and the story suffers greatly.

I AGREE!

I hate that episode, too. The only bright spots are Flash's dialogue, the appearance of the GLC, and the lantern oath at the end. Everything else sucks.

Oh, and about Newbern, I hated him up until the Season 2 premiere. Until I looked it up, I honestly thought that they had brought Daly back.

I downloaded it last night, and didn't make it through the e-mail segment yet on the way to work (45 minutes! Oy!)

As to Hippolyta's hair color - I actually expected her to be blond, after seeing Cloris Leachman (Frau BLUCHER!) and Carolyn Jones (Morticia Addams) play her as dark blondes in the TV show - pre-crisis. (My wife and daughter have a "Steve Trevor has to be saved by Wonder Woman - again!" alert when watching the old show.) Her only post-crisis appearance before Justice League was as a brunette (and I'm curious as to whether anyone other than me remembers where that appearance was).

While on the subject of JL alerts, for at least the first season, I think we need a "Flash trips on a rock" alert". I think I remember reading an interview in which the creators said that the characters they felt were most crippled that first season were Flash and Superman. They said Superman's was for dramatic purposes - if the Black Hat can do this to Superman, he/she/it/they must be a serious threat - but the creators admitted that they probably overdid it. The problem with Flash is that the speed gives him so many options that most fights are over before the antagonist realizes what's going on (even by Season 2, he outsmarts Lord Batman and goes toe to toe with Lord Superman, throwing him through a building). They overplayed the cocky goofball aspect and kept making him trip, etc, because they had problems figuring out how to keep him from disarming and tying up all of the bad guys before Batman gets his hand down to his utility belt for his first Batarang. Not that I'm biased towards Flash at all. Nope.

BTW, with Wonder Woman being formed of clay and given life - wouldn't that technically mean that she's a golem? (Sort of like Grundy from the Xanth series, except without such a big mouth). If I remember the first Crisis correctly, she was actually killed by being turned back into a lump of clay, hence the relaunch in 1987-ish.

Does make you wonder what the hell kind of knockout gas the invaders were using, doesn't it? Apparently, they found something that affects:

A golem

A Kryptonian under yellow sunlight

A Thanagarian

A Martian

A normal human (GL)

A metahuman, who probably breathes faster than normal, so will take in more gas, but also has an accelerated metabolism (so should have woken up sooner)

Not only did it work on all of them, there were no differences in their reactions (such as, no one went so deeply under that they stopped breathing and died), and they all woke up at the same time. Huh? Granted, I'm not an anesthesiologist, but I'm pretty sure that such a gas would be a pretty tough cookie to make.

Chris

That's a great point! You could say the gas was manufactured to KO Martians, and since they're so tough, that's the reason it was able to take down Superman, Hawkgirl, and Wonder Woman with ease. But GL and Flash should be dead from something that can put Superman under.

One thing I always wondered about the Watchtower itself...Bruce didn't build it by himself, did he? Did Supes help him? The rest of the league? I kind of always had this image of him building it all by himself (because Batman is richer than God and can beat Jesus, and therefore is entirely capable of doing that =P) but...yeah...doesn't seem entirely plausible.

One thing I always wondered about the Watchtower itself...Bruce didn't build it by himself, did he? Did Supes help him? The rest of the league? I kind of always had this image of him building it all by himself (because Batman is richer than God and can beat Jesus, and therefore is entirely capable of doing that =P) but...yeah...doesn't seem entirely plausible.

The way I explained it to myself was in relation to the deep space scanning he was already involved in at the beginning. Wayne Industries was building this satellite to serve as an orbital platform for the same thing, and after the events of Secret Origins, he modified the end of the construction (the lifesystem arrangements, mainly) to serve as the Watchtower. If most of the construction was already completed, this also shortens the time it would take to build something like that and get it launched.

Granted, I think my posts and e-mails make it pretty clear that my default position is to try to justify most anything we see in the DCAU (although, I did NOT try to justify "Toys In The Hood" in ANY WAY. I have my limits)...

That's a great point! You could say the gas was manufactured to KO Martians, and since they're so tough, that's the reason it was able to take down Superman, Hawkgirl, and Wonder Woman with ease. But GL and Flash should be dead from something that can put Superman under.

Honestly, it's not even a question of strength. How similar are the different biochemistries? Will the molecule get absorbed and travel to the brain, cross the blood-brain barrier, and bind to a receptor that will cause sedation-unconsciousness-anesthesia? In 4 different species? I believe Krypton and Thanagar are written as human habitable, but the atmosphere of Mars certainly isn't breathable by humans (I think I made a comment once about wishing that J'onn complained about how bland our air smells at some point).

Chris

"Hey Boss, why is that space station you hired us to build being used by the Justice League?"

"Uh, it's part of the War On Terror." (modern)

"Despite having no connection whatsoever with the League, I decided to sponsor them out of the goodness of my heart" (Silver Age)

(and I'll secretly join later and romance Black Canary - oh, wait, that's Queen Industries, not Wayne Industries)

"They are my personal troubleshooters and bodyguards" - wait, no, that's Stark International...

I totally didn't pick up on the whole alien Carter having to avoid sunlight for two years.

Maybe they just went the cheesy vampire film way out:

"Ummmmm...Sunblock? SPF 300?"

"Fine! Go with that!"

Have fun with it. During that scene at the beginning when he's walking down the street, play the theme from "Shaft".

Well, Thanagarians, Kryptonians, humans, and Martians all have humanoid physiology, and apparently their brains are compatible, seeing as how easily J'onn can telepathically communicate with the others. Perhaps the gas was very specifically designed to affect a brain, regardless of the body's configuration? The Martians are shape-shifters, after all. If the gas were dependent upon their specific physical makeup, then the Martians could just change form to easily counter it.

The only "logical" solution is that the gas is a kind of universal neural sedative that directly affects the brain.

Well, Thanagarians, Kryptonians, humans, and Martians all have humanoid physiology, and apparently their brains are compatible, seeing as how easily J'onn can telepathically communicate with the others. Perhaps the gas was very specifically designed to affect a brain, regardless of the body's configuration? The Martians are shape-shifters, after all. If the gas were dependent upon their specific physical makeup, then the Martians could just change form to easily counter it.

The only "logical" solution is that the gas is a kind of universal neural sedative that directly affects the brain.

The thought processes may be compatible - I'm skeptical about whether the chemical receptors would be that similar. We're more closely related to other Earth mammals than Kryptonians, Thanagarians, or Martians, but if you give theobromine to a dog, it's poison. If you give theobromine to a woman (especially if it comes from Godiva or Ghirardelli, and in the case of my wife, especially if it's dark rather than milk chocolate), she typically is much happier about the whole thing.

My brain's a little ADHD today - now I'm wondering about a business selling empty Godiva boxes for guys to fill with, say, Hersheys. But that would be evil. And would probably get me in trouble.

The thought processes may be compatible - I'm skeptical about whether the chemical receptors would be that similar.

Maybe the gas directly influences the electric currents in the brain? Maybe the gas itself contains latent telepathic catalysts that cause the brain to simulate the effects of a normal knockout gas? (that would make sense if it was designed for Martians, whose only static form is their mind)

Responding to a couple of questions in the review:

As to the 6 month time lag - the dish was designed to detect deep space anomalies. Because of this, the invaders would have to disable it before the Imperium ship starts moving - by the time the Imperium ship gets close to orbit, the dish would have long since picked it up. 6 months for Mars to Earth probably isn't that unreasonable, especially considering they may have been on opposite sides of the sun.

About the White Martian/Green Martian war lasting centuries - I would argue that the Whites aren't just attacking a peaceful race. They're attacking a peaceful race of shapeshifting telepaths who are close to Superman's class for strength. A better question is, if you're going up against an entire race with J'onn's capabilities, how the hell do you win in only 500 years? (Yes, I know, they were psychic vampires - maybe that's how they duplicated Superman and Hawkgirl's thought patterns to fool J'onn).

Incidentally, Green and White Martians were initially describde in Edgar Rice Burroughs' Warlord of Mars series. The protagonist was John Carter, likely the namesake for J. Allen Carter. (Much as General Wells was named for H.G. Wells).

As to the proto-League being trapped in the glop with weapons, I can't explain Hawkgirl's mace. For GL, though, can you even take a Green Lantern ring off involuntarily? Doesn't it come with a bike lock or something? I seem to remember that there's only a certain way it can be done, and that Hal Jordan once told Batman how to do it, just in case. Anyone know if that's true, or just my imagination?

Chris

Guest DCAUFan1051

I actually prefer Newbern to Daly for exactly the reason Dubs hates it (surprise!). Newbern sounds enough like Daly that it's not jarring, but there's something a little more undeniably 'Boyscout' about Newbern's Superman, which is really great when he's up against Jerry O'Connell's Captain Marvel in 'Clash,' especially.

I agree with ya, and would like to point out that as the show progresses Newbern adapts the voice to the character arc Superman takes. Becoming less of a boy scout and taking on more aggressive leadership type role.

I've said this before I never knew the voice actor changed from S:TAS to JL/JLU, before seeing the DVD's obviously.