Disney XD + Marvel

The Hollywood Reporter suggests Americans should keep an eye on the Disney XD channel for lesser-known Marvel characters: they're tomorrow's film stars.

Disney recently bought out Marvel for $4 million, and has access to their extensive library of characters. At the UBS Global Media & Communications Conference, Disney president and CEO Bob Iger told audiences that their new action-oriented channel and Web content would be used to test characters' appeal.

At the talk, Iger also commented that Disney is happy to let Sony keep producing Spider-Man and Iron Man movies, as the House of Mouse will handle the licensing.

Link

Wow. Let me count the things wrong with that article:

01. Disney bought Marvel for $4 billion, not $4 million. I mean, the article the writer links to even says billion.

02. Sony has nothing to do with the Iron Man films. They're Marvel-produced and Paramount-distributed.

03. "Iger also commented that Disney is happy to let Sony keep producing Spider-Man and Iron Man movies, as the House of Mouse will handle the licensing." That's not what Iger said; the actual quote, from the source article, is: "Iger also said it would be 'just fine' for Disney if Sony keeps making 'Spider-Man' movies given that Marvel handles the licensing for them and has a big character library." There's a huge difference between "just fine" and "happy to let." (And, sorry, Iger's lying through his teeth. There's no way Disney is "just fine" with not having full control over Spider-Man.)

There might be more mistakes I'm not seeing right now, but I'm done either way.

Disney just bought a stake in Stan Lee's POW! also:

Disney is acquiring a 10% stake of POW! for $2.5 million. It is also acquiring "enhanced rights" to the company's creative side as well as exclusive consulting services. It was not clear what the rights and services entailed or the reason for expanding its relationship with POW!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i6ad645d17ccf55b7afb786d31ed93f39?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Fnews+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+News%29

I don't really see the point in that one if they have Marvel already. Looks like they just want to buy up everything they can.