• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

I am supposed to be getting my W-2 from work around the 19th meaning I'll be filing pretty much about the same time I get it. That means, when I get my refund about the 28th or so, I will be booking my hotel room. Anyone that is going, please let me know where you're booking so I can decide where I am for convenience sake. As of right now, the best hotel bets are still:

1) Courtyard Chicago Downtown

Price: 144 a Night (Through the C2E2 website)

Parking: 33 a Night, No In and Out (Found at a parking Garage around a 7-minute walk away)

Pros:

• Price isn't too bad.
  • Indoor pool
  • Microwaves and Mini-Fridge
  • Free Internet
  • Pretty convenient to the Blue Line (Half a mile from the Hotel)

Cons:

• To save 20 bucks a night on parking, it'll be a bit of a hike.
  • Will need to scout out new places for food/other activities (Considering I love planning, this might not be a con)
  • About the Same Distance from Union Station as Grant Park was
  • Still a little pricy

or

2) Best Western Grant Park

Price: 166 a Night (As found through Priceline.com) (Note also that the booking mentions that bed type is based off of what is available so that could be a blessing or a curse)

Parking: 29 a Night, Valet Parking, In and Out privileges during the day normally. While the actual Best Western site isn't mentioning it, the Priceline site is bringing up Free Parking so that alone could make it worth the extra dough for us drivers.

PROS:

• We know what we're getting into.
  • Pretty cheap on parking.
  • There is a shuttle nearby
  • The pool will actually be open that time of year if anyone is so inclined.
  • Free Internet

CONS:

• Price
  • The internet is kinda shit.
  • So are the TVs
  • No refrigerators in room
  • You will have to switch from the Blue Line to the Green line to be conveniently near.

I will be at Arisia in Boston from January 18-21. If you think you might be in the area, give me a shout.

Also, it is looking less and less likely that C2E2 2013 is going to be viable, especially if I want to make sure I am available for 2014.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The C2E2 App has updated (or there's an entirely new one for 2013. Whichever). Notable since they cleaned it up (including reminders of when panels are) and they also have a preview of the panel list up on it as well. It hints at some guests that haven't gotten announced yet. See for example that there's a Funimation Panel but no VAs announced yet.

In case anyone hadn't booked yet, the 119 deal on the Best Western is sold out. Right now your best bet is either the Treavelodge for 111 through Priceline but you're getting what you pay for there, or the remaining C2E2 hotels on their website which range from 100 for the Red Roof Inn to 199 for the Hyatt. The Best Western still has rooms for 179 if you should so choose. Since we are a little under 2 month out, I would highly suggest booking a hotel room if you haven't yet. Just saying.

I will be getting into Chicago at 2 myself, should get checked in by three at the hotel. That said, at a nearby theater that night, there's a showing of The Best of Both Worlds which is one of the best episodes of Star Trek the Next Generation. It's 12 bucks to get in and 12 bucks to get in. If you're interested in going, let me know and I'll order tickets.

So, as of right now, this is what travel plans are looking like (that we know of):

-Me - bus, eta Thursday 11 AM, leaving Monday 6 PM

-Will - bus, eta Thursday 2 PM, leaving with Matt/roomie Dan

-Matt/roomie Dan - driving, due to get in Friday morning, leaving Monday evening

-Chris - bus in, eta Friday morning (we'll come to Union to pick you up!)

-Preston and Michelle: train, ?

Also, looks like the one major panel we're all planning on hitting is the Batman ('66) Q+A from 2 to 3 Saturday (there's also a Peter Davison/Caves of Androzani screening Saturday evening, and a Buffy musical shadowcast on Friday afternoon).