The Convention Thread

dc20willsave

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They posted a link to the con floor (didn't include which panel rooms are which unluckily) and, comparing it to 2011 when C2E2 was last held in the West Building, they have probably increased the size of the con floor by at least a third. It also makes me wonder where they're going to be queueing.

Edited to add: Just noticed: DC doesn't currently have a booth.

My bet is similar to what they did the first year - they had us queue on a separate floor, and you rode the elevators up to the actual con floor.

And weird, that DC doesn't have a booth. They've got a presence at the show, don't they? Or are things that bad?

And checked on prices for autographing. Sorry, Adam West, you're nice and everything, but I'm not paying $60 for your autograph. $40 for Ron Perlman and $25 for Felicia Day is a bit more reasonable.

Hey, folks. Starting to make baking plans for C2E2.

I know that the Princess Daisies (cherry/white choc chip) cookies have always been a hit, so I'll be bringing those for sure. Also looking at making some vanilla bean sugar, and irish cream/white choc cookies. Anything else that interests folks?

Short answer: it is imploding spectacularly.

Longer answer: they completely folded the comics operations under DC Entertainment (thereby making the comics division more openly answerable to the movie and TV divisions), bumped Dan DiDio and Jim Lee to co-publishers, threw a Hail Mary pass on the New 52, said Hail Mary pass is still in the air but not looking like it's going to land in the end zone. Creators are fleeing right and left, word is largely negative about working conditions and the culture in the office, and sales are actually (in most cases)lower than they were before the reboot.

There are exceptions (the Bat-books, mainly), but it doesn't look good at the moment. Man of Steel is going to have to do Avengers numbers or heads will roll. Word is coming out that the failure of Green Lantern at the box office was an indication at Warner Brothers that things are not going well. They have a huge supply of intellectual properties in DC, but haven't figured out how to exploit most of them on the big screen. They need a non Bat-character to hit.

Skipping a major con like C2E2 is a very worrying sign.

Been looking at some restaurants. Outside of doing Gioradanos as per usual and Yolk for breakfast, here's a couple of places that have caught my eye. If you have anyplace else or suggestions, by all means, suggest a way.:

Chicago Curry House: Indian. A little expensive but the reviews on Yelp look good and it looks like you get a good portion for your buck.

White Palace Grill: Diner Food. Looks cheap and the food looks good from the Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives segment I saw.

Artists Cafe: Sandwiches. Cheap, good reviews. Not much else.

The Berghoff: German-American cuisine. Good reviews and, for anyone who cares, apparently the beer is good.