The Convention Thread

dc20willsave

About two weeks out from ECCC. There does appear to have been some minor hiccups with the ReedPop takeover (programming being delayed and pretty messed up when it did come out, badges going out later than advertised), but I'll be interested to see how it plays out once we're all actually on the con floor. They've got some pretty neat stuff planned: there's gonna be a beer garden and food truck area on site.

C2's looking to be shaping up to be pretty neat, too. If y'all are interested at all, there's gonna be a Wicked/Divine fandom meetup downtown on Thursday night with dinner and a bit of dancing.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Chi-Fi 2015, a convention held last weekend in Chicago, was apparently an epic clusterfuck. Guests (such as Steve Jackson and Geek Girl Chicago) pulled out very publically, citing lack of communication and payment as factors. When GGC announced she was not coming, con chief James Dobbs contacted her palce of business and tried to get her fired.

Who 37, a Doctor Who podcast, was in attendance and tells their story leading up to and during the convention.

Panels for C2E2 are up. Doing my panel planning now. I usually record panels for Mike so if anyone sees any they would like me to record for him that don't conflict with what I've already marked with a definitely, please, do tell.

Friday

1:30-2:30: Charlaine Harris Spotlight (Mainly since it's in the same room as the next panel I want to go to)

2:45-3:45: The Cinder Spires: Spotlight on Jim Butcher (Definitely)

Saturday

11:00-12:00: Geek Geek Revolution (Definitely)

12:15-1:15: Reinventing the Hero(ine) (or...)

12:30-1:30: FUNimation Industry Panel (More likely)

Sunday

12:00-1:00: Farewell to Fables (Probably)

1:15-2:15: Nerdist Comics Panel (Maybe)

Anything later than that, is a probably not. We'll have a 5 hour drive home and that's also my shopping day.

C2E2 2015

01. Who's coming?

02. Who's up for a midnight screening of The Room on Friday?

03. Who's up for a midnight screening of The Rocky Horror Picture on Saturday?

Both of those movies are at the Music Box Theatre, which is easily accessible via the CTA.

Answering for my party:

1. Me, Matt, and potentially my friend Addison.

2/3. I might be up for either. Matt has said he's probably not going to be up for leaving the hotel that late and Addison, if with us, is doing the entire trip on the cheap. That all said, I'd probably be up for one or the either though, I'm a little less likely on The Room since I'm doing the Rifftrax Live for it a couple of weeks after.

More coherent thoughts to come on ECCC in a future HG segment. But damn, this is a con that's going on my radar, especially if I can score a press pass next year (it's a ReedPop show as of next year, so given that they gave me one for C2, I'm thinking odds are high that they will for ECCC. Hint hint Des.).

Also, they had an idea I'd genuinely like to see implemented at C2: the quiet room. Basically, a room where you can go if you need a mental health/anxiety/oh god too many people why break. It's quiet, there are outlets you can use to charge your phone, and it's well enough removed from the chaos outside that you can wind down if need be. (They also had something similar for young families and new parents.)

C2E2 panels I'm interested in. ? denotes I'm a little wobbly on them.

Friday

7:45: Beer and Comics (duh)

Saturday:

11 am: Geek Geek Revolution

12:15 pm: Jason Momoa spotlight

1:30 pm: Hayley Atwell spotlight

2:45 (?): Secret Wars: Battleworld (yeah, I'm interested in the tie-ins)

4 pm: Marvel Next Big Thing (general rule: go to at least one panel that Zdarsky is on, it's always a treat)

Sunday:

1:15 (?): Secret Wars: Warzones

Also, they had an idea I'd genuinely like to see implemented at C2: the quiet room. Basically, a room where you can go if you need a mental health/anxiety/oh god too many people why break. It's quiet, there are outlets you can use to charge your phone, and it's well enough removed from the chaos outside that you can wind down if need be. (They also had something similar for young families and new parents.)

Arisia does this, and it's awesome. Having an escape hatch really does make a huge difference.

Due to Samuel "Danny Pink" Anderson pulling out due to a work commitment, Boston TARDIS has been cancelled at the eleventh hour.

I wish I could say I was surprised. Considering that they've been doing Chicago TARDIS for fifteen years and should have this down cold, this has been a clusterfuck from day one.