The Convention Thread

dc20willsave

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will do a damn IndieGogo to get you lot back next year. We will make it a tradition. :P And sir, don't forget how I scared you just by chugging a wee bit. ^^

Also: probably not gonna bake this year, as at last count it's just me, Will, Matt, Chris, and Mike. Will be bringing booze down though, as always.

Thursday, I will already be in town, and will be happy to meet you at Union when you get in, Will. My friend Hailey, who's sharing the hotel with us for one night, will be in around 2:50. So you know, they moved the bus stop over to Van Buren because of construction.

I will be doing the WicDiv meetup with some of my Chicago contingency down there that night, so I will realistically be out starting at 8ish forward and will not be back until the wee hours of the morning.

Do we want to do any planning beyond that so far?

I will do a damn IndieGogo to get you lot back next year. We will make it a tradition. :P And sir, don't forget how I scared you just by chugging a wee bit. ^^

Well, if it's Pandy or Stavros, I might put in some money.

In all seriousness, it's about £600 for a roundtrip flight, around £130 for the hotel assuming a 4-day stay with at least 3 people in a room, and £40-ish for a pass if you're doing the con. With spending money, about £900 altogether.

As for other prep stuff, I might make some brownies myself but that's about it. I'd like to play a game of Fibbage or Drawful so, if you got a tablet or smartphone, bring it along.

• 2 weeks later...

Another good C2E2. It was definitely a more quiet year than previous ones since it was just myself, Hannah, and Mike representing the site there. The con itself definitely seems to have become comfortable in Mccormick's South building since every panel I went to had a fair amount of space, the con floor, while crowded (which is to be expected) did have pockets of breathing space, and they finally moved registration to it's own room so you don't have to wade through a crowd trying to go to the floor if you need to buy a pass or pick one up.

That all said, there were some negatives this time. I think I can firmly say that 5 days, four nights is the ideal because, between the being tired the day I got into Chicago and just some other stuff, Giordano's and Yolk were the only big food things I got around to doing. Hell, I don't think I really ate on Sunday until the drive home. That extra day gives you a chance to try new things, maybe catch a ballgame or go to an arcade, anything. I feel that Wednesday-Sunday is probably more ideal than Thursday-Monday, just based off prior experience.

Other downside to this time: I'm starting to rethink the Best Western Grant Park as the unofficial hotel of the Earth-2.net C2E2 trip. Between getting booted to a single King-size room, not being able to upgrade, and just the general apathy of the staff, I was kinda dissatisfied. So yeah, when the time comes to do my yearly bit of research, it is getting some major marks against it. I mean, I can slightly understand since they were apparently remodeling but still, could you have imagined it if we had had one of our normal groups of four people in a room? It would probably have been less than great.

As for stuff I got, not much this year, mainly since I was on a bit of a budget. Biggest thing I bought was a new cardgame called Super Fights which was really fun and I even made sure to record our game of it. Other than that, got some books and some trades. The panels were a blast again this year and I got to stump the authors at the Geek Geek Revolution panel with my question. Score!

As of right now, they have not announced the dates for C2E2 2016. I figure this is probably due to Reed having recently acquired Emerald City and also having Pax East, all in the span of a month and a half from each other, not to mention Wondercon being in the same month. With how crowded April has become for Conventions, I could see them moving to May or even June or perhaps pushing back to March. I hope they announce new dates soon so people can start planning. Sorry, planning and organizing are some of my personal pleasures. Also so, you know, it makes it easier for people of foreign nationalities to make the trip. *hint hint*

Agreed with Will. A great, quieter year. And Superfight is a great game to play late at night/get drunk to.

With the construction, random pot smoking, and the way we got treated at the BW this year, and the fact that the Essex has apparently upgraded significantly (or isn't as awful as it was when I went the one year and they wouldn't turn down the heat so that our windows were fogging up just from three people simply existing in a room), I'd be willing to try it next year.

Honestly, I'm probably going to be spinning this trip into a longer trip every time (due to having a friend downtown I'm staying with, and a bus that costs less than $5 round trip if I book at the right time), which works great for me. It just depends on if I'll be staying with them before or after the con.

I had a pretty great time at the con this year. I spent most of my time hanging out with some friends from Chicago and who I met out at NYCC who I get to see but the once a year. I was in my Sailor Jupiter costume on Friday, and got stopped for lots of photos and had a few small girls freak out over my wearing the costume, which gave me all the feels. Saturday was the Morrigan, and we managed to find some other WicDiv cosplayers, and lots of us got stopped for photos, which was awesome. Friday was mostly spent prowling Artist's Alley and the back half of the dealer's floor, Saturday was spent on two main stage panels (Jason Momoa, who I am not sure how he's real, and the Hayley Atwell/Ming Na Wen panel, which was lovely) and wandering the floor, and Sunday was spent looking for last minute deals before I headed to the bus.

I got a pretty good haul this year. I managed to find some nice Dragon Age stickers, teas, mugs, and buttons from Artist's Alley, volumes 2 through 4 of Alias for $30, and a few other tpbs (Wolverine vs the X-Men, Lucifer) in the $5 trade bins.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The thing is, it doesn't really matter because everyone else will just swoop in to use that space. Besides, at this point they show off at SDCC mainly to promote the work through the press. Disney's big convention, D23, is this year so anything big Marvel-wise is going to be announced there.

Sony Pictures and Paramount are joining Marvel and skipping SDCC this year.

Marvel makes sense because Disney will be promoting Star Wars heavily. Let's not forget that Fox will be heavily promoting Fantastic Four and X-Men AOA which means it's a good way to not acknowledge their existence once again. The others say they don't have anything coming to the comic book fan demographic even though Terminator: Genisys comes out the week after. Looking at the release list I can see Sony not coming back until 2017 and Paramount not coming back in a long time because they will miss the window to promote the next TMNT and Star Trek.