The Convention Thread

dc20willsave

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW, the Thursday before C2E2 is going to be St. Patrick's Day. Assuming enough people are going to be heading this year, I am planning to roll into town on the 16th this time around. I don't know when Baseball Preseason starts but I'm sure we can all find a fun activity to do before proceeding to celebrate the luck of the Irish.

Popcon Indy 2015

A wonderful convention. Even if half of the convetion center was split with the Kiwanis club. I did notice a happy medium when younger Kiwanis members wanted to have their picture taken with Bonnie and Foxie cosplayers.

John De Lancie, Sophie Aldred and Edward James Olmos were very kind, especially De Lancie. Much to my surprise Casper Van Dien appeared a bit too full of himself. Which is why its a good thing he is playing Johnny Cage. Sam Jones was nice, but hearing his accent reminded me of why I used to confuse him with Dolph Lundgren. Spending 30 seconds with Lloyd Kaufman made me laugh harder than I have in weeks. Markiplier, Jacksepticeye and Lordminion were so patient and nice to still greet the fans after the place closed. Which is probably why the young lady in front of me started crying when Mark offered her a hug.

Eventbrite and Rob Salkowitz are releasing the results of this year's survey of fan-event attendees, and are reporting for the first time that gender-parity at nerd events across the board is essentially here.

Men outnumber women at gaming (RPG, tabletop, video games) and comics conventions, while women dominate at anime, literary SF, and media shows.

Further, just over 7% of respondents report feeling unsafe or unwelcome at conventions. Women (unsurprisingly) outnumber men, but not by nearly as much as I would have thought. RPG/tabletop gaming shows are by far the worst in this respect,

2 weeks from my 10th & final Ai-Kon. The game shows are done, the panels are prepped (the fiance & I even got a super unannounced guest star....yes it's exactly who you probably think it is), my schedule has been made. Despite all that, I don't have the frantic;y excited energy I once did. Is it just that I'm becoming an older guy in a young man's game? Am I being burned out on anime? Am I frustrated that I never really moved beyond being the Game Show guy? I don't know. I mean for crying out loud we got Terri Hawkes booked as a guest, how am I not over the moon here (no pun intended).

Oh well, I'm sure once I get in the door of the Convention Centre all will be better, just, I feel sad that it's all almost over, and I feel sadder that I'm ok with it.

• 2 weeks later...

"I have a question. The question is in four parts, but I will need to ask the four parts out of order and then lay the groundwork for a follow-up comment, and I will lead into my question with a summary statement that outlines my personal headcanon which negates -" OH MY GOD TURN OFF THIS GUY'S MICROPHONE

"I have a question. The question is in four parts, but I will need to ask the four parts out of order and then lay the groundwork for a follow-up comment, and I will lead into my question with a summary statement that outlines my personal headcanon which negates -" OH MY GOD TURN OFF THIS GUY'S MICROPHONE

earthcore7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So, just going to start sending out feelers to see who might be thinking of making C2E2 this next year. Reminder, the dates are March 18th-20th. Just trying to figure out for the purposes of, when hotels go live, giving a fairly accurate idea of cost when I do my yearly assessment. Also so people can start figuring out potential rooming situations.

As of right now, my room has two definites and one likely in it. More likely than not, 4-5 is around what can be comfortable in a room (assuming they don't fuck us in the ass again...).

I'm piecing together a Winter Soldier costume for Dragoncon. I found a leather jacket at Goodwill for $7 that I've mostly fixed and cut to specifications. I bought a shirt from an eBay dealer that has the design of the metal arm on it. I'm going to use silver fabric paint over it to make it look metallic. (Praying that arrives in time.) Got a wig yesterday. Found an M4A1 Airsoft rifle and a rubber knife on eBay. Already have boots, goggles, fingerless gloves and cargo pants. Just need a tactical belt or a reasonable facsimile, knee pads and the mask that covers just my mouth and nose.