Episode 371

RSS

Guest DCAUFan1051

Close to the end of this ep I believe Des said it was turning into Reddick & Sims. When you guys were talking about Wolverine. I just had a thought.. three of the main E-2 hosts that talk comics are part of the alphabet in a row. R-S-T... Reddick, Sims, and Toland. Yes I think of the weirdest crap ever sometimes.

Question: how BIG is Blackest Night going to be? The reason why I ask is because Mike you said you were waiting for the trade on it. From what I've heard from friends that read it, it seems to be a huge story. So would they put it out in one collected edition or space it out over a few TPB's?

Close to the end of this ep I believe Des said it was turning into Reddick & Sims. When you guys were talking about Wolverine. I just had a thought.. three of the main E-2 hosts that talk comics are part of the alphabet in a row. R-S-T... Reddick, Sims, and Toland. Yes I think of the weirdest crap ever sometimes.

Question: how BIG is Blackest Night going to be? The reason why I ask is because Mike you said you were waiting for the trade on it. From what I've heard from friends that read it, it seems to be a huge story. So would they put it out in one collected edition or space it out over a few TPB's?

I posted the full list of the main books, in the blackest night thread, Mike.

Here's the list:

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2009

Full Blackest Night collection contents revealed

16 comments | Tag: Blackest Night

Share this post: Twitter | StumbleUpon | Reddit | DiggIt!

We now have details on the contents of all seven (yes, seven) Blackest Night collections to be released by DC Comics next summer. The news that Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps will be collected outside the main Blackest Night collection will make some fans very unhappy. As follows:

- Blackest Night - the main eight-issue miniseries

- Blackest Night: Green Lantern - the Green Lantern tie-in issues

- Blackest Night: Green Lantern Corps - the GLC tie -in issues

- Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps Vol. 1 - the Blackest Night Batman, Superman, and Titans miniseries

- Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps Vol. 2 - the Blackest Night JSA, Flash, and Wonder Woman miniseries

- Blackest Night: Rise of the Black Lanterns - the eight "resurrected" titles

- Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps Vol. 1 - the three-issue miniseries (listed as volume one of multiple, but this might be an error)

The issue here, as we've discussed previously, is there's a consensus that you need to read Green Lantern between the pages of Blackest Night to understand the story, but the books will be collected separately.

This hearkens back to the Final Crisis problem, where the original plan for collecting Final Crisis was to collect the main miniseries on its own -- but having read it, it's clear that book would have made no sense without the additional Superman Beyond issues later added in.

This doesn't include the main book tie-ins, like the issues of Booster Gold and Outsiders that have Blackest Night banners.

I think you posted this in the wrong thread. Reddick and Sims was a couple episodes ago. No one seemed to notice.

Could you post here in spoiler what happens at the end of Captain America?

Also, most of those books, I don't care about, and I think Robinson, was writing JSA as he was the first writer of the book when it first came back. Also, he did BN: Superman, which you praised but forgot to say "How can he fuck up here, and do so well here!"

You guys really sobered up when talking about the what if story.

Des, I just wanted to apologise. When you said regarding Buffy "I don't think that show works", I honestly didn't mean to reach through the laws of time and space and slap the taste out of your mouth, it was just an automatic reaction. I'm truly sorry. :P

However, if there was EVER a TV show that fucking worked it was Buffy, and the fact that you guys liked the terrible film more than the show itself, it just made that whole section of the show feel like a rib on me.

I mean, I'm not blind fan. Season's 1 and 6 are iffy, and I stopped buying the comic after the Harmony issue where they casually turned the whole world upside down. I didn't for instance, buy this issue, and I'm sure you guys are justified in your opinion of it. That being said Buffy is a show that damn well works and more than that it works through the 12 combined seasons of both the main show and its spin-off. Not to mention its massive influence on the rest of modern TV.

edit: and the brunette? I'm pretty damn sure that would be Willow's current hubby Kennedy, what with Tara being extremely dead and all.

Remember I said "I don't think it works" and it "just didn't work for me in any way" and therefore is my opinion and not what I would claim to be the overarching truth. The movie, I found to be dumb fun that was a perfect product of its time. The show was uneven (from the horrifically crappy 5 random episodes I saw to the great, Hush). Overall, it was just a lame duck to me when it should have been right up my alley.

Influential, yes. As long as you're referring to the obnoxiously smarmy, intelligent and completely unrealistic way that teenagers talk on ever show then you call it influence, I call it blame.

I know, I know, and the fact that that's what you meant is what stopped me going on an actual rant. Plus I can put it down to the first season being very uneven. I mean, as long as you acknowledge that Hush is great we're fine.

Actually in terms of influence I was thinking more of TV as a whole right now. Most of the significant writers from Buffy went on to write or produce shows such as Alias, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Caprica, Prison Break, Dexter, Mad Men, CSI, Tru Calling and 24. The majority of these people got their start in TV on Buffy and it shaped the rest of their careers, which have in turn shaped a lot of successful modern TV. Not to mention that without Buffy a lot of shows wouldn't exist from the depressing Smallville and myriad other imitators to stuff like Lost, Heroes and Fringe.

I think you posted this in the wrong thread. Reddick and Sims was a couple episodes ago. No one seemed to notice.

Mike referenced it turning into an episode of Reddick and Sims near the end around the X-Men review.

Mike referenced it turning into an episode of Reddick and Sims near the end around the X-Men review.

Yep. My bad. I think I did mention it. I just didn't know what the heck was going on. But the nurse came by and gave me my medication so it's ok now.

Look, butterflies!

Actually in terms of influence I was thinking more of TV as a whole right now. Most of the significant writers from Buffy went on to write or produce shows such as Alias, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Caprica, Prison Break, Dexter, Mad Men, CSI, Tru Calling and 24. The majority of these people got their start in TV on Buffy and it shaped the rest of their careers, which have in turn shaped a lot of successful modern TV. Not to mention that without Buffy a lot of shows wouldn't exist from the depressing Smallville and myriad other imitators to stuff like Lost, Heroes and Fringe.

I just fail to see why this is a positive for the show, though.

2000 AD had stories by the greatest comics writers today. That doesn't make it influential when most of the comics buying public has never heard of or read those books.

They all happened to get better jobs. That's about it.

Yep. My bad. I think I did mention it. I just didn't know what the heck was going on. But the nurse came by and gave me my medication so it's ok now.

Look, butterflies!

WHERE!?

I know, I know, and the fact that that's what you meant is what stopped me going on an actual rant. Plus I can put it down to the first season being very uneven. I mean, as long as you acknowledge that Hush is great we're fine.

That's all well and good, but you're not arguing a point by saying "Buffy so too does work!!!", merely standing your ground. In fairness, I don't think Des or Mike stated on the podcast why they thought it didn't work either, so I don't know why it does or doesn't work. I've seen maybe 10 episodes from when my sister was an avid fan, and I don't remember a lot about it.