Lost season 6

JackFetch

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I noticed. The knife that MIB used was the same one that Sayid used to try to kill Locke. He was told to stab him in the heart before he spoke. Locke spoke first, and stabbing him didn't do anything. However, MIB used it to stab Mother before she spoke, and she died. I checked, and it's also the same dagger that MIB gave to Richard to kill Jacob. I wonder if the dagger is the key to killing these people, or would stabbing them with any knife before letting them speak kill them?

I made the mistake of reading an interview with the producers, and that's pretty much killed any hope I have of being satisfied with the ending.

The predictability of tonight's episode didn't help.

This was pure setup which I guess was fine, but off the heels of what was quite possibly the worst ep of the show, an all setup episode does nothing for me.

This season has prepared me for disappointment, aside from the Richard ep and the Desmond ep, and I think there was an ep centered around Locke early, I've hated this season. So the Sunday will end this season, which I'm happy for but it will also end the series which will be a bummer.

And then for the next 5 years every new drama will be "mysterious".

This was pure setup which I guess was fine, but off the heels of what was quite possibly the worst ep of the show, an all setup episode does nothing for me.

At least last week's episode had a point. Expose had nothing at all, just the random killing off of two annoying characters.

And then for the next 5 years every new drama will be "mysterious".

Every new drama for the past five years has already been "mysterious." I called that they had no idea where they were going at the beginning of season four and they clearly don't.

There will be no "answers" in the finale. If anything, they'll try to be clever and ask more questions but that means nothing when you've been doing nothing but trying to be a headfuck for 3 years.

I will not be one of those people who stopped watching tuning in because they don't deserve it. If I want to waste my time on something that doesn't mean anything or have any depth, I've got a lot of short films to watch. That way I only waste 10 minutes instead of 60.

Honestly, there isn't anything left to "answer".

The island is the location of a magical source of light, protected by people that don't question or understand it. That's it. It's a really shitty religious analogue and little more.

They're never going to explain what the numbers mean, why Walt had superpowers, who the people shooting at the canoes were, why the statue was there, what the MIB's name is, etc. And I'm not expecting them to.

The only thing the finale is going to serve is to tell us what the ultimate fate of the characters will be. Great dialogue and character development is what the show will ultimately be praised and remembered for, and I'm fine with that, but as far as being a great mystery with a rewarding and logical conclusion, it's an epic failure.

Did I like the ending? Yes. Did it explain anything at all? Not a fucking bit. Do I care? I honestly don't think I do. Sure, it told me nothing but there wasn't any point where I decided that watching the show was a waste due to a faulty ending. Personally, I'll live and Lost was never the best thing I'd ever watched on TV and it gets to be another show I might dust off a DVD of once in awhile but I won't rewatch seasons of just because I feel like it.

Defamer summed it up perfectly.

Once upon a time, there was a television show about a bunch of people on an island. For six years it was one of the most fascinating things on TV. And then it ended, in the worst way possible.

Lost ended tonight, and with it the hopes and dreams of millions of people who thought it might finally get good again. SPOILER ALERT: It didn't. What did we learn? Nothing. We learned nothing from two-and-a-half hours of slow-motion bullshittery backed with a syrupy soundtrack.

Everyone loves to see characters who haven't been around for a while, right? Juliet! Where have you been? Shannon! Long time since you were around, irritating all of us and ruining Sayid. But good to see you, I guess! Rose and Bernard! Nice beard, bro! And Vincent! The goddamn dog! There you are, doing dog stuff. How great is it to get all these characters back? Not very great at all, as it turns out.

For years, the show's creators and actors have been running the same bullshit line about how Lost is a character-driven show. Here is the thing, though: It is not a character-driven show. It is a show, that has characters! But the characters do not "drive" the show, except in the sense that they do things that help advance the plot. Because it is a "plot-driven" show! Lost is a show that is interesting because it has an interesting plot. Frankly, most of the characters suck! Especially Kate. And Jack. And Sawyer. And, really, all of them, except for Ben.

So what we got was a show with an engaging, mysterious plot, that was constantly being sabotaged by fool writers who thought that what the audience really wanted was, like, a love triangle. A love square! "Yes, Mr. Cuse, I don't give a shit about the donkey wheel. What I really am after is the answer behind the mystery of Jack's hideous tattoo."

And yet, somehow, we all kept coming back. I'm not going to use the "abusive relationship" metaphor, because that's hacky, but I'll say this: Those guys know how to write a finale. Season after season, it was the same thing: The first five or six episodes were great. The middle ten were terrible—just lazy, premise-stretching garbage, season after season—and then they'd pull it together for the finale.

Do you remember the hatch lighting up? Or Jack blasting In Utero and realizing that it was—I still shit my pants thinking about this years later—a flash forward? That was the reason we kept watching the show: The finales.

And so it stood to reason that maybe they would pull together this pitiful excuse for a season with some kind of halfway-coherent, tightly-paced and tightly-plotted finale that would answer some of our lingering questions and wash the taste of Greek Goddess Allison Janney out of our mouths. Ha, ha! Why did I think that?

What we got instead was another two hours of running around the goddamn island with everyone having feelings and stuff—which wasn't even that bad, honestly!—and then, and I have to type this in caps because it's the only way to really let my rage out, IT TURNED OUT THAT THEY HAD ALL DIED. All of them! And not even all together, simultaneously, in some awesome disaster/explosion. They had all died, at various times, throughout history. (Except for Michael and Walt, apparently!) And then they, like, remembered that they were dead, in this terrible, unfortunate excuse for Heaven they had created, and the Church went to white, and Jack was lying there, dying, with the dog. I swear to God, Abrams, Super 8 better be a fucking masterpiece.

Deep breath.

Look: I had given up on getting any interesting answers to any of the thousands of questions I still had. When the explanation for "the whispers" came, I hung my head, and thought, "Well, I guess this is how it has to happen."

But I expected more from the flash-sideways (I cannot believe they have compelled me to use that word, "flash-sideways," though I suppose it is technically a "flash-way-the-hell-forward-to-when-everyone-is-dead"). I have taken a creative writing class or two (can you tell?) and do you know this thing they teach you? "Don't end your story with all your characters being dead." It is like cheating. It is worse than cheating! It is the wussiest thing a writer can do. And these smug dickheads went ahead and did it.

So here's my proposal: Let's get another season. We'll all agree to forget the flash-sideways ever existed. Let's just get Ben and Hurley running the island, making jokes and being bros and doing fun things. Is that too much to ask for? Because I don't have anything to be obsessed about anymore. And I really don't want to start watching V.