Lost season 6

JackFetch

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I have had time to take step back from the spectacle of the last episode. I think what disappointed me the most was that there was just no need for the whole flash sideways storyline.

The first season flash backs served the purpose of the audience getting to know the characters and what led them to the island.

The Flash forwards threw us a curve ball because we were so used to seeing a flash back but still served a purpose for the audience to see why after getting off the island they chose to get back to this god awful place.

When the flash sideways started we were again given a kick up the arse and wondered what the hell these were all about. But for them all to be about when the survivors (plus a few select others) NO NOT THOSE OTHERS) eventually dies they will collectively create a purgatory because of there special bond and shared experience, a place where they can wait for each other and move on and except death together added nothing to the story of Lost and what the characters where trying to find out about what the hell is that fucked up mysterious island? what was its purpose? How do they get off it?

Why did we need to see what happens to everyone once they were all dead. God knows when. What did that add? The story was these great characters surviving this weird island and who they were and how were they going to get out of this mess.

Because the construction of the series was set up of present story mixed with flash back story and it worked so well early on. It seemed like the writers didn't trust themselves to just stick to a linear story telling once they got all the back story and the future story done.

We didn't need the, what is this weird alternate universe. Oh no it's actually there private purgatory, at all.

We just needed to see what the island is all about?

Who was Jacob and what was his relationship with MIB?

Who and how where they going to stop Locke/MIB/Smokezilla?

What is the ultimate fate of the characters?

Do they all die saving the island?

Do they escape the island?

And we got answers to all of that plus more but never did we need to see the after life party that told us zip about any of these questions or really about the characters.

I would have been perfectly OK with a final season without the flash what ever.

• 2 months later...

Anything worth knowing? I'm not giving them any more of my money.

From what I could remember:

• The electromagnetism from The Orchid was the reason for the women losing their babies.
  • The food shipments were coming from a Dharma outpost in Guam. They received payment and instructions from an automated computer at The Lamppost.
  • Polar Bears were used by the Darma Initiative because they're resistant to electromagnetic fields.
  • Room 23 was intended so that The Dharma Inititative could interrogate Hostiles then make them forget about it so they could get away with breaking the treaty.
  • Walt ended up in the mental hospital (under the name Keith Johnson) that Hurley and Libby were both in and is taken by Hurley and Ben back to the island were he supposedly belongs. No explanation is given beyond that other then Ben being sorry about kidnapping him.

Ha. Wow.

- I kinda already assumed the first one.

- Food shipment thing was kinda annoying, so at least they did damage control on that.

- Them bothering to explain the polar bears just shows how out of touch they became. I don't think anyone was losing sleep over that.

- Assumed as such with Room 23.

- The Walt thing makes ZERO sense. If he went back on the island with Hurley and Ben there's absolutely no reason he shouldn't have been in the church with them.

Really? You cared more about the polar bears than why Walt had superpowers, the anonymous people shooting at the freighter, why babies were being born in purgatory, why the source of the island's power revolved around a giant stone bath tub plug, etc?

On my list of things they needed to deal with, polar bears were #987.

My sister recently started a new run-through of LOST. And I just have to ask her constantly, "What's the point? It's just a whole bunch of nothing surrounded by a mystery consisting of nothing that ends with nothing, there's no point to it, no payoff at the end. It's just... nothing."

I really don't see where people that think that are coming from. A lot of the characters didn't get any closure at all. Honestly, it's just a bunch of people jumping on a plane and the entire rest of their lives is left up in the air. We're supposed to believe that Kate and Sawyer didn't hook back up? What happened to Miles and Richard? Claire was fucked up beyond belief, and now she has to go raise her son? Seriously?

Sure, they all meet up in purgatory at the end and walk through a magic door together, but that had absolutely nothing to do with anything else that ever happened in the show. It's like watching a murder mystery for six years and at the end, everyone goes out to get some ice cream to celebrate despite the killer still being on the loose. It felt like a total cop-out, especially considering the fact that the survivors most likely lead bitter, emotionally damaged lives until the day they died.

So they answered some questions on a DVD Extra, we didn't have enough time for that on the television show, but there was enough time because we had to sit through a whole season of those flash sideways nonsense? With Jack's imaginary son and fugitive Kate and cop Sawyer?

Go fuck yourself.

As for the argument "this was a character driven show"........ No it wasn't. The show's foundation was built on mystery since the first episode with Smokey killing the pilot and Charlie asking "Where are we?"

Tons of extra people ended up finding them on the island, like the Others, Widmore's crew, etc.

If you mean just random planes flying over, the island was "hidden". That's one of the things they at least attempted to explain.

Tons of extra people ended up finding them on the island, like the Others, Widmore's crew, etc.

If you mean just random planes flying over, the island was "hidden". That's one of the things they at least attempted to explain.

Okay, well that makes sense. But if they crash landed on Themysicra, then why didn't the Amazons find them? :lol: