NBC late night shakeup

JackFetch

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wished that any of what Kimmel said was funny.

In roast terms, it was.

Yeah, a roast is were you give some light hearted jokes that can be funny, at the persons expense, but at the same time seem fun. What Kimmel was saying was just spoon fed drivel being read by a tit. If that's a roast, and a roast by Jimmy Kimmel, thank god I don't watch any of his crap.

But what you find funny, I may find horribly stilted and unfunny, and vice versa, so really, it's just two differing views on what's funny here.

Since I’m at work, what video did Suave post? I’m guessing it was Leno’s interview of Kimmel? Because I thought that was pretty great personally.

I don’t really care about Kimmel either way, but I’ve found him funny in the past. I thought the “I’m fucking Matt Damon/Ben Affleck” thing was fantastic.

Since I’m at work, what video did Suave post? I’m guessing it was Leno’s interview of Kimmel? Because I thought that was pretty great personally.

I don’t really care about Kimmel either way, but I’ve found him funny in the past. I thought the “I’m fucking Matt Damon/Ben Affleck” thing was fantastic.

Yeah, that was it. I just didn't find it funny.

Also, the Matt Damon/Ben Affleck thing was funny.

Kimmel was superb in that interview. what a fucking idiot Leno was for bringing him on. What a fucking tit he proved himself to be when he couldn't think on his feet to change the direction of things (some comedian!), and though I found Kimmel funny and loved what he did there, the funniest part was how bad Leno's final joke question bombed when the joke had been fucked out during the interview.

This is proof, more proof, that Leno is nothing but an empty corporate heel with nothing to offer anyone under 50.

Again, Bill Hicks was right 15 years ago.

Conan O'Brien's guest list hints at exit

Will Ferrelll, his first 'Tonight Show' guest, to appear Friday

By Nellie Andreeva

Jan 19, 2010, 09:06 PM ET

In the strongest indication yet that Friday indeed will mark Conan O'Brien's final "Tonight Show," a list of the booked guests for the rest of this week released Tuesday featured Will Ferrell set to appear Friday.

Ferrell, of course, was the first guest on "The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien" when the show launched June 1. It has become somewhat of a tradition on "Tonight."

Jay Leno's first guest on the show, Billy Crystal, guested on what was supposed to be the talk show host's second-to-last "Tonight" in May. (Leno is now set to return as "Tonight" host March 1.)

The reason why Crystal didn't appear on the very last episode was that, in a demonstration of what was billed as a seamless transition, Leno's guest then was Conan O'Brien.

It is safe to say that there is zero chance O'Brien would return the favor.

Other big names scheduled for O'Brien's final week on "Tonight":

Tuesday, Jan. 19: Quentin Tarantino, Paul Bettany and musical guest Spoon

Wednesday, Jan. 20: Adam Sandler, Joel McHale and musical guest Joss Stone

Thursday, Jan. 21: Robin Williams and musical guest Barry Manilow

Friday, Jan. 22: Tom Hanks, Ferrell

As for the official announcement of O'Brien's exit and Leno's return to "Tonight," it was delayed again Tuesday as the two sides have not settled yet on the size of the severance packages of the "Tonight" staff.

NBC and O'Brien's team reached a deal in principal on the talk show host's compensation last weekend. Legal representatives have been hammering out details of payments for the rest of the "Tonight" crew since then.

Asked Tuesday by the New York Times about the reasons for the holdup, O'Brien's manager Gavin Polone said that "it's the same thing that's going on all over the country when people are put out of work."

"We're fighting to do better for them," he added.

NBC fired back, saying "this latest posturing is nothing more than a PR ploy."

"It was Conan's decision to leave NBC that resulted in nearly 200 of his staffers being out of work," the network's statement read. "We have already agreed to pay millions of dollars to compensate every one of them."

Source

I know I made some cracks at the guy, but I don't get why everyone is acting like Leno is Hitler, here. Yes, he's terrifically unfunny. Yes, the last time he was relevant was in the 80's when he was a guest on Carson's Tonight Show. But, he never wanted to give up the show. NBC is the reason this is all screwed up, not Leno. I fully support Conan, but Leno is no more of a villain than anyone else. This falls squarely on the shoulders of the incompetent NBC execs. I won't watch Leno, but that's nothing new. I'm not ignoring him out of spite, I'm ignoring him because he sucks.

Conan, however, will have my viewership.

As for NBC, I'll probably never watch their network again. From the way they handled Scrubs, to the way every show they have goes off of the rails after about a season, to this debacle, this network is completely unable to hold anything together.

I know I made some cracks at the guy, but I don't get why everyone is acting like Leno is Hitler, here. Yes, he's terrifically unfunny. Yes, the last time he was relevant was in the 80's when he was a guest on Carson's Tonight Show. But, he never wanted to give up the show. NBC is the reason this is all screwed up, not Leno. I fully support Conan, but Leno is no more of a villain than anyone else. This falls squarely on the shoulders of the incompetent NBC execs. I won't watch Leno, but that's nothing new. I'm not ignoring him out of spite, I'm ignoring him because he sucks.

Conan, however, will have my viewership.

As for NBC, I'll probably never watch their network again. From the way they handled Scrubs, to the way every show they have goes off of the rails after about a season, to this debacle, this network is completely unable to hold anything together.

NBC tends to put out more shows that I watch than most other US networks. They've got a better fraternity of comedy than the rest for my money. That being said I don't think Leno, Letterman or Conan are particularly funny overall, they're great in small clips but I've tried to watch entire shows and get bored very quickly.

The Daily Show is more than enough for me, its shorter running time and an actual creative direction means you get a lot more out of it.

Besides, Stewart might milk applause a bit but its nothing compared to the rest of them.

This. I don't like Leno but I'll agree he's not the villain, he's just a pawn that NBC is using here. That said, yes, 30 Rock will officially be the only thing that I watch on NBC anymore. I gave up Heroes a month ago and I'm not looking back on that. I might watch Jimmy Fallon if he gets the Saved By The Bell Reunion to happen but that's about it.

This. I don't like Leno but I'll agree he's not the villain, he's just a pawn that NBC is using here. That said, yes, 30 Rock will officially be the only thing that I watch on NBC anymore. I gave up Heroes a month ago and I'm not looking back on that. I might watch Jimmy Fallon if he gets the Saved By The Bell Reunion to happen but that's about it.

Nope, I'm sorry, but that's like saying Leno hasn't done anything to exacerbate this situation, which is completely untrue.

Conan has been a class act through most of it. Leno has done nothing. A non-villain would've said to NBC, "You know, let the man keep his show. I had my turn. It's his turn now." Did he? No. Never once.

Just because he's not stark-raving mad, doesn't mean he isn't also villainous here.

It's widely known that Leno never wanted to leave, and that he isn't the nice guy he portrays. Howard Stern even warned Conan that Leno would never let him have the Tonight Show back when it was first announced Conan was getting it. It's not Leno's fault all this is happening, but I'm sure he's pretty happy about it. He has no kids, and is a workaholic who "stares at the wall waiting to go back to work" as Stern put it.