The Wolverine

MaxPower

According to Hugh Jackman, the sequel to “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” may begin shooting in 2011.

"Wolverine's going to be back,” said Jackman during a backstage interview at the People’s Choice Awards. “He's going to Japan. We shoot that probably in a year, year-and-a-half, something like that."

As Jackman has previously indicated, the “Wolverine” sequel will be based upon the classic Chris Claremont and Frank Miller “Wolverine” story that finds Logan facing off against a Japanese crime lord and falling for his daughter, Mariko.

Last summer, screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie signed on to pen the "Wolverine" sequel. While a director has yet to be named, Gavin Hood — the director of the first “Wolverine” film — has expressed his interest in returning for the sequel.

Back in October, “Wolverine” producer Lauren Shuler Donner hinted that the sequel may be filmed in Japan to capture a sense of authenticity. She also stated that the film would showcase several new fighting styles for Wolverine.

"Wolverine will be fighting in a different style to what we've seen before," said Donner. "Mariko's father has this stick-like weapon, so Wolverine will have to fight against that. There'll be samurai, ninja, katana blades, different forms of martial arts — mano-a-mano, extreme fighting."

In addition to the “Wolverine” sequel, Bryan Singer’s “X-Men: First Class” adaptation and Ryan Reynolds’ “Deadpool” spinoff are also in active production.

source

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Wolverine will be fighting in a different style to what we've seen before," said Donner. "Mariko's father has this stick-like weapon, so Wolverine will have to fight against that. There'll be samurai, ninja, katana blades, different forms of martial arts — mano-a-mano, extreme fighting."

Sweet.

I can go on pretending they never made the first one and watch the one we should have gotten originally.

I wish we were getting another movie with Sabretooth to be honest. Liev Schreiber was the best part of the first one.

He could still be in this one, couldn't he? I mean, Sabretooth showed up in Japan a few times, right?

His memory's been wiped. If Victor shows up past this point, he should remember him in X-Men 1.

I wish we were getting another movie with Sabretooth to be honest. Liev Schreiber was the best part of the first one.

He could still be in this one, couldn't he? I mean, Sabretooth showed up in Japan a few times, right?

His memory's been wiped. If Victor shows up past this point, he should remember him in X-Men 1.

At this point it's probably best he just stays away from any character that's already been introduced, and going to Japan sounds like a good first step. The attempts to tie the original Wolverine movie into the X-men series were almost painful. If the sequel throws all that away, it might actually be fun.

Otherwise I think I'd rather them just throw away any continuity and just go crazy. But I doubt that would happen.

• 7 months later...
New York Magazine's Vulture is claiming that 20th Century Fox has approved two directors to helm the untitled sequel to their 2009 hit X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the first being The Twilight Saga: Eclipse helmer David Slade, the second being Robert Schwentke, the director of the upcoming comic movie Red for Summit Entertainment. The final decision will be up to the movie's star Hugh Jackman, who is said to be meeting with both directors next week although their insiders seem to think the gig is going to Slade, who has less on his immediate plate than Schwentke, who has already been circling other projects to do next.

According to the story, the plot in the script written by Christopher McQuarrie involves

Logan beginning a "forbidden romance with a Japanese woman whose hand in marriage is, unfortunately, promised to another man." Since Logan won't take "no" for an answer, it puts him into battle with her father and her "samurai-sword-wielding brothers." We fully expect the Silver Samurai to be one of those brothers. His father is Lord Shingen Yashida, a Yakuza crime boss and a mutant himself. One can also expect the movie to deal with Wolverine's relationship with his daughter Mariko Yashida, and who knows, maybe we'll even see Yukio in the new movie, but that's a lot of Japanese (or Asian) actors who should start lining up for roles in the movie if they're going in this direction.

A release date has not yet been set for the sequel.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/106031-slade-and-schwentke-up-for-wolverine-sequel

Quick someone rundown every Asian mutant that will probably be in this movie!

• 1 month later...
After weeks upon weeks of rumors and speculation, it's now (mostly) safe to consider it official: straight from Hugh Jackman's mouth comes word that Darren Aronofsky is indeed directing "Wolverine 2."

The "Black Swan" director's approach to the "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" sequel will be, according to Jackman, quite "out of the box" and potentially "the best one yet" of all the "X-Men" films the Australian actor has starred in so far.

"I really do feel that," Jackman told New York Magazine of Aronofsky's enlistment in the "Wolverine" franchise. "I feel this is going to be very different."

Very different indeed. With films like "Pi" and "Requiem for a Dream" under his belt, Aronofsky is nothing if not grim and provocative. Some viewers might argue that these qualities evaded the last "Wolverine" film, but Jackman believes that Aronofsky's sensibilities will mesh well with the Japan-set sequel.

"This is 'Wolverine.' This is not 'Popeye.' He's kind of dark," said the actor. "This is a change of pace. Chris McQuarrie, who wrote 'The Usual Suspects,' has written the script, so that'll give you a good clue. [Aronofsky's] going to make it fantastic. There's going to be some meat on the bones. There will be something to think about as you leave the theater, for sure."

For his own part, Jackman is hard at work transforming himself into the fast-healing adamantium-laced mutant, starting with a strict workout regime and a hardcore diet.

"I'm starting; I'm having my six meals a day," said Jackman. "Expect to see four chicken breasts and a whole pile of steamed broccoli on my plate."

Source

After Requiem For A Dream, I'd see Aronofsky's Tetris opening day, so I'll definitely be seeing this.

Thanks Chris, now I suffer from priapism.

I'm a little torn, because like I wish Nolan would quit mucking around with commercial films and do more creative stuff, the feeling is double for Aronofsky. That being said, I hope he makes a very commercially accpeted Wolverine film and gets a shitload of cache to do stuff I want to see.

That's what they said about Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Hell, that's what they said about Inception, which didn't even have a built-in fanbase. Look what happened there.

Just because it's deep doesn't mean it can't still be entertaining for the masses.

Batman is the world's greatest detective story, so it makes sense to have a more cerebral story. Wolverine is stab stab slice. Completely different characters.

I never saw Inception, but loved South Park ripping it apart last night.