The Wolverine

MaxPower

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little torn, because like I wish Nolan would quit mucking around with commercial films and do more creative stuff, the feeling is double for Aronofsky. That being said, I hope he makes a very commercially accpeted Wolverine film and gets a shitload of cache to do stuff I want to see.

That's my hope as well. Best case it'll be like Nolan and the Batman films: he made Warner Bros. a ton of cash, they gave him free reign to make Inception.

Wolverine stabs guys with his claws. If you get to deep with him in a movie you'll lose most of your audience.

If you don't go deep, you'll make another shitty film.

That's what they said about Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Hell, that's what they said about Inception, which didn't even have a built-in fanbase. Look what happened there.

Just because it's deep doesn't mean it can't still be entertaining for the masses.

Except where Superman's concerned, right? ;)

Except where Superman's concerned, right? ;)

*ahem*

A Superman film needs to cater to the mainstream at this point.... Once Superman is popular again, then you can talk about the stranger stories.

Wolverine is already massively popular with the mainstream, so he doesn't need to be "sold" to the masses anymore. Aronofsky can do whatever he wants.

Also, Wolverine is an easier character to write a "weird" story about, since ultimately you can't get away from the fact that he's a badass who cuts people with metal claws. Superman stories, on the other hand, are extremely easy to turn into "artistic" films that won't necessarily still have the "punch" (literally and figuratively) that a Superman film needs at this point. We've had seveal of action-less dramatic Superman films, and a few of action-heavy Wolverine films. It's time to switch it up.

There's also the fact that Wolverine 2 is taking off of a pre-established story, and we already know what we're in for to a certain extent.

Superman doesn't need to be sold to the masses either. He's Superman. And for the three people out there who don't know Superman, take the route of the first page of All Star Superman, run it before and during the credits, and there you go, the origin roadblock is sidestepped and they can make a great film.

Also, Wolverine is an easier character to write a "weird" story about, since ultimately you can't get away from the fact that he's a badass who cuts people with metal claws.

So a deep story has to be "weird" now?

We've had seveal of action-less dramatic Superman films, and a few of action-heavy Wolverine films. It's time to switch it up.

Or we could have a happy medium between the two. And anyway, we saw how well a action-heavy Wolverine film worked out.

• 4 weeks later...
Darren Aronofsky confirms a new title for 'Wolverine 2'

Published on Saturday, Nov 13, 2010 9:15 PM Drew McWeeny

Earlier today, I sat down at the W Hotel in Hollywood to talk with Darren Aronofsky and Natalie Portman about their new film, "Black Swan," and we'll have those conversations here for you in the week before the film opens.

For now, though, there's one tidbit worth passing along from our conversation. When Aronofsky was settling in for the interview, I mentioned to him that I had run into Matty Libatique the other night, and Aronofsky smiled. "I saw that." He offered up one correction to the information that we've run on the film so far, though, and as far as I can tell, this is the first time I've heard this.

The film that he's directing is officially called "The Wolverine," and there won't be a number attached to it. In our interview, he referred to the movie as a "one-off," and he emphasized that the film isn't a sequel in any conventional sense.

It's an interesting move, and it certainly separates this from Gavin Hood's movie, and from the larger "X-Men" franchise in general. Between this film and Matthew Vaughn's "X-Men: First Class," it sounds like any rules we've got in mind about these films and what to expect based on the first four films in the franchise are out the window.

Frankly, I like that. Comics have always made room for different artists and writers to take these icons and bend and twist them and try different things with them, so why shouldn't the films be the same way?

Source

As if it wasn't already officially official, now it is officially official: 20th Century Fox has confirmed that Darren Aronofsky is directing "The Wolverine," the second solo movie starring Hugh Jackman as the claw-popping Canadian mutant.

If you're wondering why it took so long for Fox to confirm Aronofsky's involvement in the Marvel Comics adaptation, it appears that there's a perfectly good explanation.

According to a press release, Aronofsky and his Protozoa Pictures production company have agreed to a two-year overall deal with the studio, which sees Protozoa developing and producing films for 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight Pictures. Aronofsky's first priority, of course, is directing "The Wolverine," which heads into production in April next year.

"We're excited Darren is going to bring his unique vision to 'The Wolverine,'" said Emma Watts, president of production for 20th Century Fox, in a statement, "and we take great satisfaction that Fox, irrespective of the size of his films, continues to provide a home for his extraordinary talent."

“Darren’s vision has brought audiences some of the most original and memorable stories and characters in recent motion picture history,” added Fox Searchlight heads Steve Gilula and Nancy Utley. “We at Fox witnessed this first hand with his work on 'The Wrestler,' and 'Black Swan,' and now, on 'The Wolverine,' which will be an exciting take on that iconic figure and on the genre itself. We can’t wait to see what else Darren has in store for us.”

Source

• 2 months later...
GB: How much you weighing?

HJ: Right now, I’m at 210.

GB: Wow, so you’re going to be bigger this time? Last time, you looked about, what, 190?

HJ: Yeah, right, I was 190, something like that. I don’t know how much I want to give away about it, but Darren said with the last one, ‘Hey you looked great, but you’re so tall that in those long shots you looked kind of like Clint Eastwood, and that’s not Wolverine.” He said that Wolverine, in the comics, is powerful, stocky, you know, he’s short and thick. So he said, ‘I want you to go there, get bigger.’ He’s going to come down after he gets done with all the black-tie events over and done with.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/125338-jackman-getting-bigger-for-the-wolverine

Like the guy needs more muscles.

• 2 weeks later...
"It's not a sequel," Aronofsky said, "...I just love working with Hugh Jackman and I think there's something to be done in that world that hasn't been done yet. I'm also excited to do something that everyone wants to make, as opposed to being the only person that wants to make the film at the beginning.”

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/126559-more-details-emerge-on-the-wolverine

Unless you come out and say that on the title screen nobody is going to know and there is going to be a lot of confused people in theaters. It stars the same person, so everyone is going to assume it's a sequel and trash it if it doesn't match up with the established movies.

"It's not a sequel," Aronofsky said, "...I just love working with Hugh Jackman and I think there's something to be done in that world that hasn't been done yet. I'm also excited to do something that everyone wants to make, as opposed to being the only person that wants to make the film at the beginning.”

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/126559-more-details-emerge-on-the-wolverine

Unless you come out and say that on the title screen nobody is going to know and there is going to be a lot of confused people in theaters. It stars the same person, so everyone is going to assume it's a sequel and trash it if it doesn't match up with the established movies.

So, basically the first one all over again?