There will be at least three films. The second one will focus on Pandora's ocean. The third will be about exploring the Alpha Centari AB system, where Pandora is located.

We created a broad canvas for the environment of film. That's not just on Pandora, but throughout the Alpha Centauri AB system. And we expand out across that system and incorporate more into the story – not necessarily in the second film, but more toward a third film. I've already announced this, so I might as well say it: Part of my focus in the second film is in creating a different environment – a different setting within Pandora. And I'm going to be focusing on the ocean on Pandora, which will be equally rich and diverse and crazy and imaginative, but it just won't be a rain forest. I'm not saying we won't see what we've already seen; we'll see more of that as well.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65366

Wet blue cat people? Blue cat people in space?

Also, about the argument of Cameron's worthiness. Lets not forget that he has done more for moving special effects forward than probably anyone else in the computer age. The T-1000, the water pod thing from The Abyss, the Titanic sinking, and everything in Avatar all moved digital effects to new levels.

Also, about the argument of Cameron's worthiness. Lets not forget that he has done more for moving special effects forward than probably anyone else in the computer age. The T-1000, the water pod thing from The Abyss, the Titanic sinking, and everything in Avatar all moved digital effects to new levels.

That would be Lucas, actually. He kinda invented it all with the Star Wars trilogy, and he oversees just about everything that ILM works on.

Cameron would be a very close second, though.

That would be Lucas, actually. He kinda invented it all with the Star Wars trilogy, and he oversees just about everything that ILM works on.

Cameron would be a very close second, though.

Lucas used a different type of technology. If you are talking about the newer trilogy, he didn't do anything that wasn't done before, just more of it.

I have heard numerous theories and apologetics about the destructive power of money, success, etc, in Hollywood; each one tailored to a particular viewpoint or critical theory. I also have a friend that has worked in the industry and, after leaving it, actually made his own low-budget horror film (called In Search of Lovecraft). So I have heard a lot of different opinions on the matter. What does that mean? Time to pontificate! Yay!

I've seen In Search of Lovecraft!

Lucas used a different type of technology. If you are talking about the newer trilogy, he didn't do anything that wasn't done before, just more of it.

No, he pioneered the blue/green-screen tech, and later pushed CG leaps and bounds past what was possible before. The reason the CG in The Phantom Menace looks so crappy is because it was basically the prototype for everything that would come afterward. The CG armies, especially.

• 12 years later...