The Amazing Spider-Man

JackFetch

I don't like it either. 90% of the time, the Lizard is a goofy-looking villain, but even on his worst day, he looks a damn sight better than that.

Well, remember the kids Dark Knight toys, and how different The Joker looked from those, and the actual film. It might give an indication of how he may look, but until you can see it in motion, it's not really fair to judge it, simply by a pez dispenser head.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, remember the kids Dark Knight toys, and how different The Joker looked from those, and the actual film.

Didn't they change the toys because of Heath Ledger's death?

joker_571x400.jpg

Nope. they were just designed for different markets. One that's more child friendly, the one Kdubs posted, and the one above, which is the movie masters Joker, meant for adult collectors.

Nope. they were just designed for different markets. One that's more child friendly, the one Kdubs posted, and the one above, which is the movie masters Joker, meant for adult collectors.

Keep in mind, the child market is different than the adult market.

I'm 99% sure I read that the kid-friendly action figures were hastily changed to the more cartoony look because Mattel didn't want children playing with the likeness of a recently deceased actor. Problem is, I can't find any articles to back that up.

I don't like it either. 90% of the time, the Lizard is a goofy-looking villain, but even on his worst day, he looks a damn sight better than that.

This is your lucky day:

lizard3.jpg

Looking at that makes me glad Nolan goes for realism....

Looks like they're going for the original Ditko look. Awesome.

Keep in mind, the child market is different than the adult market.

I'm 99% sure I read that the kid-friendly action figures were hastily changed to the more cartoony look because Mattel didn't want children playing with the likeness of a recently deceased actor. Problem is, I can't find any articles to back that up.

That was my point, the kids toy didn't actually need to look exactly like the character in the movie, they just needed to have a general resemblance, and look a little bit like cartoon characters.

The Lizard looks like he could be alright, I'll be interested in how they pull it off. I don't know why, but the face reminds me of some costume I've seen somewhere else, I just can't tell where.

Looks to me like the bastard child of Medusa and Lord Voldemort. Are either of those the costume you have in mind?

Actually, it just clicked:

Movie_Goomba.jpg

I think the face looks like the Michael Chiklis Thing, Austen. The design is very Ditko, so, yeah, I dig it.

That's the other one that I was thinking of. Thanks, Preston. If the Thing, and the Goomba in the spoiler, ever have a lovechild, it would look like the Lizard.

Hmm. I don't mind it. Beats the Green Goblin, and frankly the fully monsterised Lizard wouldn't be taking advantage of the mocap aspects of the actor's facial expressions. It would be a cgi Goblin mask for all intents and purposes. I get the hate a little bit, but come on, that looks like a high-quality cgi/prosthesis blend. It's not like they got rid of the tail.

Any weakness in this villain will be inherent to how they use a lower-tier threat like the lizard, not that design.

I've gotta say, I love the casting on this. I fuckin' HATED Aunt May in the last films (but then I hate Aunt May anyway unless it's the Ultimate version) so having Sally Field in the role is a godsend, and frankly there's no-one I'd rather have in a good father role in a film than Martin Sheen.

All I'm left wondering about is what they're going to do re Harry and Norman, not mention them at all? I mean I presume they come up at some point. Heck they're saying Jameson doesn't even appear.

I take it you missed Ian's post, Max.

In fairness, I did put it in spoiler tags.

I get the hate a little bit, but come on, that looks like a high-quality cgi/prosthesis blend.

I have no idea what that means.

I've gotta say, I love the casting on this. I fuckin' HATED Aunt May in the last films (but then I hate Aunt May anyway unless it's the Ultimate version) so having Sally Field in the role is a godsend, and frankly there's no-one I'd rather have in a good father role in a film than Martin Sheen.

That not only makes you ageist but also a race traitor! Fair dos if you hate Aunt May in general, but not only is Rosemary Harris British, but she's the mother of English heroine Elizabeth Bennett (the TV one that got off with Colin Firth, not actually Keira Knightley). And I thought the late Cliff Robertson was a stonking Uncle Ben - I need convincing that Sheen can disappear into the role.

I will have the same criticisms if Kevin Costner & Diane Lane don't disappear as the Kents as well for the upcoming Superman flick, but I'm a bit down on this new Spidey film. I don't know whether it's the suddenness of the reboot, the casting or something more intangible. Either way, I will wait to be convinced.

I get the hate a little bit, but come on, that looks like a high-quality cgi/prosthesis blend.

I have no idea what that means.

Just saying it doesn't look cheap, it's a full-on Gollum cgi mask with some great texturing and presumably some extras added on to the actor. You can't say they're designing it this way to save money, it's purely a creative thing.

That not only makes you ageist but also a race traitor! Fair dos if you hate Aunt May in general, but not only is Rosemary Harris British, but she's the mother of English heroine Elizabeth Bennett (the TV one that got off with Colin Firth, not actually Keira Knightley). And I thought the late Cliff Robertson was a stonking Uncle Ben - I need convincing that Sheen can disappear into the role.

I love the West Wing, so I've seen Sheen act as a father-figure to a dozen hyper white-house staffers and an entire nation, I'm sure he can do Uncle Ben. The original Uncle Ben was fine for what we got of him. Nothing against the actress, but Aunt May was the classic irritating old woman who I've always thought was WAY out of place in a very youthful story like Spider-man's. Bendis rightfully updated that whole character's concept into something much more relevant. Sally Field is 65 but she's going to look and act much younger than the traditional Aunt May, which is fine by me.