The Amazing Spider-Man

JackFetch

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>_<

I am not a fan of race-switching for comic book characters. I don't want Peter Parker or Batman to be black, and I don't want Luke Cage, Mr. Terrific, or Steel to be white. People always use the excuse of "well, what's wrong with X character being black?" but that's not the point. It's not an issue of racism; it's an issue of altering iconic characters. If they want to switch a character's race, then make him/her a different character entirely, as was done with Ultimate Nick Fury.

And they fucked Nick Fury up by making him Sam Jackson.

Fidelity is only as important as the fans make it.

The real reason, and the most informed comment on that puff article, is that less than 13% of America is black. Regardless of how racist it seems, studios won't cast a black man in a role they feel they need white kids to identify with. They're right to some extent. They can't risk the possibility of Spider-Man being seen as a "black movie" which will bring in much lower numbers than they need to validate their reboot.

It's cold but its true to some extent. In fact, one of my favorite moments in modern SM story is when he said to a racist "how do you know i'm not black under this mask?" Him being a white character gave that statement so much more depth.

Maybe I'm rambling but the point is, it won't happen. Not because of overt racism, but because of the money behind the film.

Fidelity is only as important as the fans make it.

True. Quite true. There are very solid reasons for fidelity to the sourcer material ("It isn't broke, don't fix it" being a good one) and there are some excellent reasons for non-fidelity to the source material (JAWS being a fine example, the casting of Ledger - which had a lot people goung "THEY CASE WHO!?! WTF!!!" a few years back - as the Joker being another).

The real reason, and the most informed comment on that puff article, is that less than 13% of America is black. Regardless of how racist it seems, studios won't cast a black man in a role they feel they need white kids to identify with. They're right to some extent. They can't risk the possibility of Spider-Man being seen as a "black movie" which will bring in much lower numbers than they need to validate their reboot. It's cold but its true to some extent.

Well, truth can be a very cold and very heavy burden. But the blunt truth is that there is, currently, a financial ceiling to "Black Cinema." Tyler Perry, the "Steven Spielberg" (in terms of box office success) of African-American film makers, has a gross cap in the 60 to 80 million dollar range. Solid box office, but still low enough for investors to give pause if Perry up and decides to make a 100 million dollar movie instead of his usual 20 to 30 million dollar movie. (Although his budgers were considerably lower back in the day.

Not because of overt racism, but because of the money behind the film.

While it isn't overt, the money issue can certainly lead to concerns over "soft racism." How often has the "race really doesn't matter" arguement been used to gloss over the white washing of characters? The most recent dust-up was over the Anglofication of the live action characters in The Last Airbender. But there have been long and storied moments where a "minority" character was played by a decidedly non-minority performer. Joel Grey and Roddy McDowall playing Chiun in The Destroyer movie and TV pilot (respectively) and Jonathan Pryce playing a Vietnamese character in the Broadway production of (I believe) Miss Saigon. Although this practice was parodied to some good effect in Tropic Thunder, it still remains a disquieting practice, nonetheless.

While it isn't overt, the money issue can certainly lead to concerns over "soft racism." How often has the "race really doesn't matter" arguement been used to gloss over the white washing of characters? The most recent dust-up was over the Anglofication of the live action characters in The Last Airbender. But there have been long and storied moments where a "minority" character was played by a decidedly non-minority performer. Joel Grey and Roddy McDowall playing Chiun in The Destroyer movie and TV pilot (respectively) and Jonathan Pryce playing a Vietnamese character in the Broadway production of (I believe) Miss Saigon. Although this practice was parodied to some good effect in Tropic Thunder, it still remains a disquieting practice, nonetheless.

Agreed. In fact, that's about the only thing TT got right.

My personal favorite is John Wayne as Genghis Khan.

Also, and I just thought about this, it's in everyone's best interest for Peter Parker to not only be portrayed white, but to be portrayed as he is in the comics. Let's face it, these movies aren't made to be art. They're marketing machines.

>_<

I am not a fan of race-switching for comic book characters. I don't want Peter Parker or Batman to be black, and I don't want Luke Cage, Mr. Terrific, or Steel to be white. People always use the excuse of "well, what's wrong with X character being black?" but that's not the point. It's not an issue of racism; it's an issue of altering iconic characters. If they want to switch a character's race, then make him/her a different character entirely, as was done with Ultimate Nick Fury.

:bowdown: You beautifully put into words exactly how I feel.

In fact, one of my favorite moments in modern SM story is when he said to a racist "how do you know i'm not black under this mask?" Him being a white character gave that statement so much more depth.

:yes:

• 3 weeks later...
Josh Hutcherson is on the short list for the role of Peter Parker in Marc Webb's upcoming Spider-Man reboot, the actor confirmed to Movieline today.

"[i}t’s kind of exciting..." the actor said in an interview, "...to see how much excitement there is already built up about it. I’m really excited for the restarting either way. People are like, 'Did you read the comics growing up?' No, not really, but the first movie came out when I was nine years old! I grew up watching those movies."

Other, still-rumored contenders for the part include Jamie Bell, Frank Dillane, Alden Ehrenreich, Andrew Garfield, Aaron Johnson and Anton Yelchin.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/102704-josh-hutcherson-confirms-spider-man-rumors

I had to look up who he was. Not a bad choice in my opinion. He's had a ton of acting experience for being only 17.

Yeah, he's one of those actors that you don't realize you've seen a bunch of times. I've seen 4 of his movies, and never knew it was the same kid in all of them. RV, Zathura, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Bridge to Terabithia. He's also carried a bunch of movies as the lead, so that's nothing new for him.

• 2 weeks later...