Episode 376

RSS

In the first edition of Extra Lives, genuine Aussie Aaron Robinson and wannabe Brit Damien Wilkens discuss the first hour of the immortal Chrono Trigger. But before that, there is foolishness abound, a nine-foot tall dominatrix, bikini samurais, and even a bad Michael Sims impression! There's something for everyone! [ 1:15:18 || 34.7 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_376.mp3

Good show, and Dubs is one of the few people who owns a game for a console he doesn't have.

Eventually I know I'll get an Xbox 360, so there have been a few games I've been tempted to buy so that I don't have to drop a ton of cash building a library at once. But I've never done it.

The reason my gamercard in my sig is not updated is cause I only hook it up to my modem when I want to download something. My Xbox is in my room and my family's modem is downstairs in my Dad's office. It's to much of a hassle an for some reason nobody can go online when it's plugged in. On topic though it's a great show, how regular will this segment be?

Also, on topic, seeing as it's in your intro, I'd like you guys to talk about the Street Fighter series, cause the new edition of IV is coming out this year.

I'm sure I'll bring it up at some point, but we won't be covering it as a featured game to follow along with us during playthrough. Fighters are pretty difficult to do that with.

To answer tnr105's question, we're shooting for a twice-monthly format. That's enough time for us to play up to our checkpoint in the game and for everyone to catch up if they need to. As we go forward, you'll see the main segment get larger and the banter get a tad shorter. We didn't want to go too far into Chrono Trigger, seeing as no one knew what we were doing yet. Hence why this was mostly the Bayonetta-cast.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I know I was pretty shaky at times, but this was the first time I'd ever been on a podcast before.

I'd totally be down with talking about the Street Fighter series. I don't think I'd have that much to say though, since I'm not as much of a fighter guy as Damien. But I'm sure I could chip in with my 2c here and there.

Like a few other earth-2.net podcasts, we'll probably create a thread when we're nearing the end of Chrono Trigger to take suggestions for what we cover next. I think we're both pretty open to trying different games, it's just a matter of whether or not we both have the consoles to play it.

I meant in the sense that he's still traditionally used in the "scheming mastermind" role, like most Batman villains. He's just as likely to fit the "stand behind this thing and send out parade of goons" boss style as anyone. The guy has an entire League of Assassins for this purpose.

Ra's Al Ghul trained the majority of the League of Assasins, they can kick ass for him. Could Batman really take Lady Shiva, Deathstroke, and the Dark Archer all at once? Ra's Al Ghul is better than them all combined!

D.W., I think R'as could (and should) be a great boss fight. As James said, he's a formidable combatant. As he generally fights with swords in single combat, they could design a unique battle around that.

On the other hand, I thought I was going to get a unique battle against Harley Quinn, with her bouncy acrobatics, so I definitely see your point.

Really liked the segment. I have not played much of Chrono Trigger, and have not played Bayonetta at all. I now wish that I had time to play them both. You guys have good chemistry together, and I will be looking forward to future editions.

Dubs, while I enjoyed Justice League Heroes, the only "fun" superman game I know of is The Death and Return of Superman For the SNES or Genesis. This one was fun because you could play as Superman, Superboy, Steel, Hank Henshaw, Eradicator, and Supergirl. You play throughout the entire storyline and it's pretty decent for the time. I recommend you listen to the Starkville House of El podcast's episode 75 entitled Wing ( you can find it on iTunes), in which they review all the Superman games that ever came out. The one host has played them all, and said when he downloaded the PC version of superman 64, the file was corrupted and all the enemies and superman were against a white background, and it should have been called " The Adventures of Superman in Purgatory." Give their episode a listen, as they played and reviewed the games so you don't have to, and they have fun poking fun at the mediocrity.

It was a below average beat'em up, but out of the superman games, it is near the top. I liked superman returns for the morbid value of destroying metropolis as Bizarro. Shadow of Apokolips was okay, but the controls sucked. I still think the kemco game was the worst.